Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 06:33 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The data of your quoted article is on Fiscal Year 2011, the latest available. It reports over 85% of 396,906 deportees had no criminal record. This isn't about any "circular arguments" or "bantering back and forth", you quoted the article (and the ICE news release it is based on: FY 2011: ICE announces year-end removal numbers, highlights focus on key priorities including threats to public safety and national security) to show the mutually exclusive positions that ICE under President Obama's administration is not deporting enough aliens with criminal records and any of those without them.

Every single one of almost 400,000 deportations has to be in one group or the other, which one is it?...
The fact remains, they were here illegally. In other words, ALL were deportable. Criminal record (or the lack thereof) is irrelevant.

As for the original claim re: skewed deportation numbers. . .

Quote:
Washington, D.C. – The House Judiciary Committee has obtained internal U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) documents, which show that the Obama administration is cooking the books to achieve their so-called ‘record’ deportation numbers for illegal immigrants and that removals are actually significantly down – not up – from 2009.

The internal documents also reveal a discrepancy between arrests and actual removals. Specifically, ICE has reported 221,656 arrests yet report 334,249 removals for 2012 so far – a discrepancy of nearly 112,000 removals. ATEP accounts for 72,030 removals within this discrepancy, but there are over 40,000 removals that remain unaccounted for.

“Since 2011, the Obama administration has included numbers from a Border Patrol program that returns illegal immigrants to Mexico right after they cross the Southwest border in their year-end deportation statistics. It is dishonest to count illegal immigrants apprehended by the Border Patrol along the border as ICE removals. And these ‘removals’ from the Border Patrol program do not subject the illegal immigrant to any penalties or bars for returning to the U.S. This means a single illegal immigrant can show up at the border and be removed numerous times in a single year – and counted each time as a removal. When the numbers from this Border Patrol program are removed from this year’s deportation data, it shows that removals are actually down nearly 20% from 2009. Another 40,000 removals are also included in the final deportation count but it is unclear where these removals came from.
Smith: Administration Cooks the Books to Achieve Deportation Numbers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 07:04 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Obama doesn't owe Latinos anything. He would have won the election anyway.
I doubt it. And yes, he does owe them something. Pronto.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:28 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why does he owe them something, pronto? Are they and their votes more important than others? If so, why? Does he owe any other group something, pronto?

Old 11-20-2012, 07:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
No he does not. Since when did US presidents become the presidents for lawbreaking foreigners over the American people?

Obama owes the American people something, if he wants to be president of some foreign people, he should quit this job and run for election in some country like Mexico.

His oath of office included something about upholding the laws of this country. Instead he's encouraging foreigners to break the laws.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 PM

62,977 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
What does Obama owe black and white and Asian Americans for casting their vote for him? Nothing?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:32 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The fact remains, they were here illegally. In other words, ALL were deportable. Criminal record (or the lack thereof) is irrelevant.

As for the original claim re: skewed deportation numbers. . .

Smith: Administration Cooks the Books to Achieve Deportation Numbers

"...removals are actually down nearly 20% from 2009..."

So a protest that Obama isn't deporting enough illegal aliens by comparisons to his previous years of administration?...

Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Why does he owe them something, pronto? Are they and their votes more important than others? If so, why? Does he owe any other group something, pronto?
Because they came out in large numbers to vote for him. They're a constituency. People take care of their constituents. Republicans do it all the time. But then, you knew that already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No he does not. Since when did US presidents become the presidents for lawbreaking foreigners over the American people?

Obama owes the American people something, if he wants to be president of some foreign people, he should quit this job and run for election in some country like Mexico.

His oath of office included something about upholding the laws of this country. Instead he's encouraging foreigners to break the laws.
All Hispanics aren't lawbreaking foreigners. And up to now, he has upheld the laws of this country. Got any evidence to the contrary?

Whether or not he's "encouraging foreigners to break the law" is a matter of opinion. I disagree....strongly. Again, what president has been tougher on illegal immigration than Obama? In recent history, name me one. Who has more deportations under his belt?

Right. S'what i though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What does Obama owe black and white and Asian Americans for casting their vote for him? Nothing?
Yes...he owes us an obligation to be the best president he can be.

Anything else?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,077,037 times
Quote:
Because they came out in large numbers to vote for him. They're a constituency. People take care of their constituents. Republicans do it all the time. But then, you knew that already.
What kinda cockamamee crap is that? The Presidents district (based on your logic) is the entire US, which includes those that voted for him and those that did not to include those that did not vote. He is not running for some district as a Congressman would (state or federal level). His ability to "take care of his constituents" is very, and I mean very, limited. He can only approve or disprove what Congress sends to him. He is confined to the limits of his position.

Quote:
Whether or not he's "encouraging foreigners to break the law" is a matter of opinion. I disagree....strongly. Again, what president has been tougher on illegal immigration than Obama? In recent history, name me one. Who has more deportations under his belt?

Right. S'what i though.
Even Obama himself has said the numbers are "deceptive".
Quote:
[t]he Obama administration has decided to include removals under a new border security program called the Alien Transfer Exit Program (ATEP) in the official deportation statistics beginning in 2011, citing internal documents his committee has recently obtained. He believes this practice is illegitimate because “there are no penalties or bars attached when illegal immigrants are sent back via ATEP and they can simply attempt re-entry,” according to his Aug. 24 statement. The ATEP removals accounted for about 37,000 of the approximately 397,000 immigrants who were deported in 2011, Smith continues. Without them, the deportation numbers for 2011 would actually by lower than 2008′s numbers under Bush. What’s the real story behind ATEP? It’s a program that started under Bush in 2008 but was ramped up significantly under the Obama administration. The program repatriates certain Mexicans who are caught by border agents “to border ports hundreds of miles away, typically moving people from Arizona to Texas or California,” according to a 2012 Congressional Research Service report.
Remarks by the President in an "Open for Questions" Roundtable | The White House
Quote:
THE PRESIDENT: Actually, what happened, if you look at the statistics, two things happened: Number one is, is that there was a much greater emphasis on criminals rather than non-criminals. And there's been a huge shift in terms of enforcement, and that began as soon as I came into office. That change has taken place.
Secondly, the statistics are actually a little deceptive because what we’ve been doing is with the stronger border enforcement we’ve been apprehending folks at the borders and sending them back. That is counted as a deportation, even though they may have only been held for a day or 48 hours, sent back -- that’s counted as a deportation. So we’ve been much more effective on the borders.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
What kinda cockamamee crap is that? The Presidents district (based on your logic) is the entire US, which includes those that voted for him and those that did not to include those that did not vote. He is not running for some district as a Congressman would (state or federal level). His ability to "take care of his constituents" is very, and I mean very, limited. He can only approve or disprove what Congress sends to him. He is confined to the limits of his position.

Even Obama himself has said the numbers are "deceptive". Remarks by the President in an "Open for Questions" Roundtable | The White House
Ok...tell you what. I'll just dead all this and end my argument.

They think they're owed, he thinks they're owed, and he's gonna pay 'em. Simple.

The end.

Bye.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:13 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,305,856 times
Quote:
Ok...tell you what. I'll just dead all this and end my argument.

They think they're owed, he thinks they're owed, and he's gonna pay 'em. Simple.

The end.

Bye.
It make economic sense, it makes political sense, and it's really the only viable solution to the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration