Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 03:40 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Because they came out in large numbers to vote for him. They're a constituency. People take care of their constituents. Republicans do it all the time. But then, you knew that already.
If "large numbers" is your barometer for his obligation to Hispanic constituents, and if it's only natural for politicians to "take care of" their constituents, why doesn't he have the same obligation to black and Asian voters, both whom voted in higher percentages than Hispanics -- 93 and 73 respectively?

He was elected to be the president for ALL citizens, regardless of race or ethnicity. He was not elected to pander to the demands of Hispanics, especially not to the detriment of others. But then, to my knowledge, black Americans have made no demands, nor have Asians. I suppose they're relying on him to represent all, not just some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 04:23 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,077,037 times
Quote:
Ok...tell you what. I'll just dead all this and end my argument.

They think they're owed.
The end.

Bye.
I fixed your comment for you.

Now the only thing he can do as President is ask Congress to attempt to put together some sort of Amnesty, he can not force them to do it. Its in the hands of Congress, not the President.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 11-21-2012 at 04:56 PM..

Old 11-22-2012, 07:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It make economic sense, it makes political sense, and it's really the only viable solution to the problem.
Of course JTG...these folks on here know better. I don't even know why they're still try'na go hardline at this point. It's a losing proposition and they're STILL wedded to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
I fixed your comment for you.

Now the only thing he can do as President is ask Congress to attempt to put together some sort of Amnesty, he can not force them to do it. Its in the hands of Congress, not the President.
That's a pipe dream. You're still thinking that the Republicans in Congress are gonna hold to the old line? The Republicans lost, and losses have consequences.

Right now as i type, the Republicans in Congress are trying to save face. Mostly to keep people like you happy. They want to win elections, but don't wanna be seen trying to pander to the Hispanic vote. Every pundit with half a brain has already said that the Republican party will CAVE to the President's demand for some sort of amnesty and it's also pretty well a given that the Dream Act will pass in some incarnation.

So, really...you're arguing for nothing. The president will drive this debate, not congress.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
That's a pipe dream. You're still thinking that the Republicans in Congress are gonna hold to the old line? The Republicans lost, and losses have consequences.

Right now as i type, the Republicans in Congress are trying to save face. Mostly to keep people like you happy. They want to win elections, but don't wanna be seen trying to pander to the Hispanic vote. Every pundit with half a brain has already said that the Republican party will CAVE to the President's demand for some sort of amnesty and it's also pretty well a given that the Dream Act will pass in some incarnation.

So, really...you're arguing for nothing. The president will drive this debate, not congress.

It was 5 Democrats that stopped the last DREAM Act attempt. Besides I'm for legalization of illegals, give them all H2A non-immigrant visas, allow them to work in the AG field, the ones that can't get jobs can be sent home. Really simple. Keep in mind that Obamas press conference the other day he only said legalization, he did not say a path to citizenship, this has PO a lot of the advocacy groups that "he owes".
Personally, I don't think Congress will get anything passed when it comes to immigration, the Republicans will say the DACA policy is enough right now. Or if they do get something going I'll bet that the ITIN users lose any and all credits they can apply for when filing their tax forms, since they receive back more then $7B then they pay in. But what do i know, right?

Old 11-22-2012, 10:49 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post

It was 5 Democrats that stopped the last DREAM Act attempt. Besides I'm for legalization of illegals, give them all H2A non-immigrant visas, allow them to work in the AG field, the ones that can't get jobs can be sent home. Really simple. Keep in mind that Obamas press conference the other day he only said legalization, he did not say a path to citizenship, this has PO a lot of the advocacy groups that "he owes".
Personally, I don't think Congress will get anything passed when it comes to immigration, the Republicans will say the DACA policy is enough right now. Or if they do get something going I'll bet that the ITIN users lose any and all credits they can apply for when filing their tax forms, since they receive back more then $7B then they pay in. But what do i know, right?
Wow, we might finally be close to agreement. Why provide any notion of citizenship when that may not even be desired? Ideally, that temporary labor eventually returns to their homelands, and help those communities become better.

That requires changes to some structures we have had in place for decades. It is a given that "jus soli" will need to go away. Taxation and social programs be required to adjust smartly, but many of the funding issues can be solved for a very long time.

Happy Thanksgiving, there is much to be thankful for...

Old 11-22-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Wow, we might finally be close to agreement. Why provide any notion of citizenship when that may not even be desired? Ideally, that temporary labor eventually returns to their homelands, and help those communities become better.

That requires changes to some structures we have had in place for decades. It is a given that "jus soli" will need to go away. Taxation and social programs be required to adjust smartly, but many of the funding issues can be solved for a very long time.

Happy Thanksgiving, there is much to be thankful for...
I have always held this position, from my first few comments on this forum, it's nothing new.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:59 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,555,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Latino groups to Obama: You owe Latinos the election, now pass immigration reform | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

So, Obama "owes" Latinos amnesty? Do tell. I wonder what he owes the millions of non-Hispanic voters whose votes gave him a second term.
In the end many people do vote for a president expecting they get what they want from him if they vote for him. Teachers want this, blacks want that, women want this, men want this, and on, and on, and on, and keep going to an endless list, not just latinos.
Will they get what they want from the president? I do not know. What I do know is that the latino vote is recornize as a vote that is more critical in elections. Also, women vote is recognized as critical and given credit for his re-election. Did women vote not expecting Obama to do thing they want that is important to them? Sure they did so it is not only latinos that expect something in return. Take care.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:08 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
PR1: it aint over just yet. Going by Obama's record 2008 to 2012; he hasn't done much for illegal aliens except for DACA.
If it were only Obama we had to worry about I might have a smidgen of hope that we could turn this nightmare around. Unfortunately, the majority are panderers on both sides of the aisle.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:19 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,207,077 times
Only thing we owe them is punishment for their crimes........

Old 11-24-2012, 09:10 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
In the end many people do vote for a president expecting they get what they want from him if they vote for him. Teachers want this, blacks want that, women want this, men want this, and on, and on, and on, and keep going to an endless list, not just latinos.
Will they get what they want from the president? I do not know. What I do know is that the latino vote is recornize as a vote that is more critical in elections. Also, women vote is recognized as critical and given credit for his re-election. Did women vote not expecting Obama to do thing they want that is important to them? Sure they did so it is not only latinos that expect something in return. Take care.
It goes without saying, most voters either support or oppose a candidate based on his/her stance on issues they deem important. But, the question that has yet to be answered, is WHY is the Latino vote "more important" than others? Do you actually think Obama could have been re-elected without the overwhelming support from black voters? What about the 73% of Asians who voted for him? Had either group chosen to vote for Romney by the same percentage they voted for Obama, would Obama have won a second term? I think not. Yet, Hispanics are the ONLY group claiming Obama "owes" them something.

Other groups may "expect" Obama to address their issues and concerns, but none have openly stated he "owes" them something, or else. In fact, I daresay, had black Americans made such a claim, there would be so much outrage, it would be deafening. Not to mention, Obama would promptly tell them to stop whining.

I found a rather interesting article written by Tavis Smiley. According to the comments, most black folks don't believe Obama "owes" them anything. In fact, Tavis has been vilified for daring to suggest such.

Quote:
With all due respect to the formidable coalition of Latinos, women, and young voters, Barack Obama would not be sitting in the Oval Office right now had Black folk stayed home in their "house slippers." African Americans are his most loyal constituency and everybody in the Obama reelection campaign and in the Obama White House knows it. The president owes Black folk. BIG time.

We celebrate this electoral victory today, but what about tomorrow? How tragic would it be at the end of eight years to be confronted by economic data which suggests (as the data does now) that in the Obama era Black folk lost ground in every single leading economic indicator category? I shudder at the very thought. So should you.

Are we going to be the last of the loud, or just the last?
Tavis Smiley: The Last of the Loud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration