Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 11:24 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,850,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<<Why are so many first generation immigrants so wealthy compared to blacks?>>

I'm not so sure the first generation illegal immigrants are, but legal immigrants are often given government assistance. The people commonly known as the Vietnamese Boat People, were given credit cards backed by the government. Others may have been too, I don't know. Many immigrants today who buy a small business, are given a tax free status for the first few years. I believe it's three years, but I'm not sure it's the same in every case. That type of assistance helps a lot, and could be one reason they do so well.

theres some other things that helps them as well. but as far as the tax free business ever see business every few years say under new management? YEP!

Old 11-10-2009, 11:42 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,181,883 times
<<ever see business every few years say under new management? >>

Oh yeah! That can go on for years. A lifetime tax free business passed from one family member to another.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:28 AM

277 posts, read 369,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm an AA myself and i think illegals further hurt our cause to create a solid working class. AAs would be more than to do the construction jobs but illegals take the jobs at foolish wages so that hurts us.
I don't know about that. It's not like illegals are working for $3 hr either. I have heard of illegals REJECTING work from people who go to far and want to pay them $6, $7 an hr for hard work. Even illegals have their limits. I feel that AAs and other Americans feel they won't work hard for less. I am sure if AAs would work for the same wages employers would hire you too...it's easier, you're legal. I just don't think AAs or Americans like to do MOST of the jobs illegals are willing to do. I'm sure AAs don't want to pick fruits or vegetables. Americans prefer to wait tables than to wash the dishes. Most of my American friends would die before having to work in McDonalds. People talk like the illegals are taking jobs like doctors, lawyers, teachers, government jobs, managerial jobs for big retail companies, accountants. No one is stopping you from being part of the soild middle class. I can't believe you are competing with illegals.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:09 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,452,498 times
Default Why do AAs settle for the bottom?

Quote:
I'm an AA myself and i think illegals further hurt our cause to create a solid working class. AAs would be more than to do the construction jobs but illegals take the jobs at foolish wages so that hurts us.
Why do AAs settle for the bottom? This is my problem. Rather than complaining about others taking jobs that are on the bottom because they're willing to work for less, why not aim higher? This country desperately needs more AA lawyers, doctors, engineers, scientists, college professors. Why not strive to earn more PhDs in fields like biomedical engineering, applied mathematics, molecular biology, and so forth?

I personally don't care for any segment of any group that shuns high educational achievement, illegal or not. This country appears to approve of illegal immigration and since this is the case, they certainly have a right to try to make a living for the well-being of their families.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:55 AM

548 posts, read 1,668,957 times
Quote:
How can they take your jobs without work permits/social security numbers?

I would call ICE on those US employers and illegals.

I would call the police, the FBI, every agency until someone does something.

Do they have rights? I´d use a megaphone and start calling them names in the construction site, and I would videotape the whole thing and post it on Youtube.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:02 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,114,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
I don't know about that. It's not like illegals are working for $3 hr either. I have heard of illegals REJECTING work from people who go to far and want to pay them $6, $7 an hr for hard work. Even illegals have their limits. I feel that AAs and other Americans feel they won't work hard for less. I am sure if AAs would work for the same wages employers would hire you too...it's easier, you're legal. I just don't think AAs or Americans like to do MOST of the jobs illegals are willing to do. I'm sure AAs don't want to pick fruits or vegetables. Americans prefer to wait tables than to wash the dishes. Most of my American friends would die before having to work in McDonalds. People talk like the illegals are taking jobs like doctors, lawyers, teachers, government jobs, managerial jobs for big retail companies, accountants. No one is stopping you from being part of the soild middle class. I can't believe you are competing with illegals.
John why dont we make all the worlds citizens American citizens. I guess people will stop coming once all the jobs are filled. Problem solved.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:16 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,649,468 times
Most blacks I know think Illegals are leeches of society, OTOH the Mexicans I know say the same about the blacks.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:43 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,356,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
Illegals are taking many blue collar jobs that Americans will do and want to do. Not all Americans want to be white collar workers. Construction jobs for example use to pay a decent middle class wage until the illegals arrived on the scene. I note that the apologists for illegal aliens always bring up picking fruit. Well you are correct that for the most part Americans won't do that but those job only make up 2% of our workforce and for those jobs the farmers have access to visas for legal foreign workers but it is cheaper for them to hire illegals instead. That doesn't make it right!

As for McDonald's and such places our youth use to work at those places but the illegals have taken over and one must be able to speak Spanish to get a job in those places now.

No American should have to compete with an illegal for a job no matter what low paying a job it is as in my example of those jobs that used to be open to our American youth and less educated American adults.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:48 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,356,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Why do AAs settle for the bottom? This is my problem. Rather than complaining about others taking jobs that are on the bottom because they're willing to work for less, why not aim higher? This country desperately needs more AA lawyers, doctors, engineers, scientists, college professors. Why not strive to earn more PhDs in fields like biomedical engineering, applied mathematics, molecular biology, and so forth?

I personally don't care for any segment of any group that shuns high educational achievement, illegal or not. This country appears to approve of illegal immigration and since this is the case, they certainly have a right to try to make a living for the well-being of their families.
Because many Americans can't afford to go to college, that's why! Another reason is that many Americans like manual labor blue collar jobs. They like working physically rather than sitting at a desk all day. There is nothing wrong with that. Blue collar workers have been the backbone of our country.

No, our country does not approve of illegal immigation or we wouldn't have immigration laws. It is only the few corrupt politicans that do so they can provide cheap illegal labor for their business cronies. No, illegals do not have the right to violate our immigration laws to care for their families either.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:29 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,241,343 times
I read somewhere that aa youths in the inner city would rather become "ghetto pharmacist" that bust their butts at mcds for minimum wage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration