Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2017, 07:42 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,847,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Why are you so anti-immigrant? So jobs are available to them here. Why not let them come here and work these low-level jobs nobody else wants and let them make this place their home?
Anti illegal immigrants is the correct term. I've got nothing against legal immigration. Your argument about low level jobs has already been refuted. Plenty of Americans can and will do those jobs. We don't need slave labor.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 09:10 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,390,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Anti illegal immigrants is the correct term. I've got nothing against legal immigration. Your argument about low level jobs has already been refuted. Plenty of Americans can and will do those jobs. We don't need slave labor.
Where are these people you speak of? Why aren't they filling all the open restaurant jobs here (there has been a significant shortage here for the last couple of years).

Old 03-21-2017, 11:47 AM

22,486 posts, read 12,036,216 times
Quote:
Why are you so anti-immigrant? So jobs are available to them here. Why not let them come here and work these low-level jobs nobody else wants and let them make this place their home?
Listen---We are an overly generous country when it comes to legal immigration. On a yearly basis, 1 million legal immigrants are allowed into this country. Since 1965, 59 million legal immigrants have come here---not to mention untold millions of illegals. That said, adding 59 million plus people has taken its toll. I live in one of the fastest growing parts of the country. Just about every bit of green space has been plowed over and made into subdivisions. Our roads can't handle the traffic. They are constantly building new roads to the point where there isn't enough money to properly maintain existing roads and bridges. Our schools have been impacted and new ones are constantly being added.

Once again, no one here is "anti-immigrant". However, it's long past time to severely reduce the numbers that are allowed in on an annual basis. Smaller numbers mean less need to plow over green space. It means less crowding in our schools and less need to devote resources to kids who can't speak English. Between 1924 and 1965, we allowed in much smaller numbers thus it was easier to assimilate those people into existing communities. Americans are generous people. During that time frame, when word got out that an immigrant family moved into the community, people would gladly donate clothing, furniture and household goods to help the family get on its feet. Now, with such overwhelming numbers of people, Americans suffer from compassion fatigue. Many Americans have been displaced in the workforce and have seen their wages depressed. They see how their kids' educations are suffering when resources are diverted to deal with large numbers of kids who don't speak English---and they aren't happy about it.

We need an immigration time out so that all these people have a chance to assimilate into our society and so our neighborhoods, schools, infrastructure and social services can recover.

Quote:
Where are these people you speak of? Why aren't they filling all the open restaurant jobs here (there has been a significant shortage here for the last couple of years).
^^^^I addressed this issue to you in post #59 and am still waiting for an answer to your questions.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:44 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,847,172 times
Quote:
The same place they were years ago when illegal immigration was not a huge problem. Look at how many Americans are unemployed. There is no shortage there.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:00 PM

210 posts, read 200,667 times
I think that people's views on immigration is more lobbying than anything else. I strongly believe that someone will be for or against immigration if and as long as it serves them. For instances Hispanics who generally push for legalizing undocumented individuals only do so because they know that the overwhelming majority of those benefiting from it would be their fellow country men. Should the measure aim at receiving thousands of Syrian refugees, I highly doubt they would be as generous and understanding.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:25 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,923,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
I think that people's views on immigration is more lobbying than anything else. I strongly believe that someone will be for or against immigration if and as long as it serves them. For instances Hispanics who generally push for legalizing undocumented individuals only do so because they know that the overwhelming majority of those benefiting from it would be their fellow country men. Should the measure aim at receiving thousands of Syrian refugees, I highly doubt they would be as generous and understanding.
Depends on the "Hispanic": I'm sure if discussing Argentines or Spaniards here illegally; most Mexican Americans would say "no".

Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,894,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
We Americans are kinder than our so-called president.
Poll: 60% say employed undocumented immigrants should stay in U.S. - UPI.com

I do not know about this poll and like so many others on CD is question the sources and the pooling. Most American want Illegals and even naturalized Immigrants want the process legally. Illegals come to America with the full understanding they could be the next one deported. The consequences of their action could and will effect the separation on their family, which should be deported as well.

The first step in becoming an American Citizen is respect our laws.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:08 PM

210 posts, read 200,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Depends on the "Hispanic": I'm sure if discussing Argentines or Spaniards here illegally; most Mexican Americans would say "no".
Agreed.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:51 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,390,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^^^^I addressed this issue to you in post #59 and am still waiting for an answer to your questions.
What do you want me to respond to, if restaurant chains in the Twin Cities utilize E-Verify? I don't have an answer to that. Back in the day when I worked for a large restaurant company they were in the process of rolling out E-Verify. However, it did little to deter hiring people with stolen documents (Micas) because the system can be bypassed with a manipulated state issued ID and matching SS Card. Even fast forwarding to today there are only a handful of states participating in the RIDE program which allows state issued documents to be compared to the state DMV. Minnesota does not participate in the RIDE program. It's a nice thought but unfortunately as long as there is widespread availability of stolen IDs (which is the case in any major metropolitan area in the US), E-Verify is close to useless.

This is besides the fact that an employer utilizing E-Verify would only suppress the local labor pool and would do nothing to solve the labor shortage here.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:22 PM

22,486 posts, read 12,036,216 times
Quote:
What do you want me to respond to, if restaurant chains in the Twin Cities utilize E-Verify? I don't have an answer to that. Back in the day when I worked for a large restaurant company they were in the process of rolling out E-Verify. However, it did little to deter hiring people with stolen documents (Micas) because the system can be bypassed with a manipulated state issued ID and matching SS Card. Even fast forwarding to today there are only a handful of states participating in the RIDE program which allows state issued documents to be compared to the state DMV. Minnesota does not participate in the RIDE program. It's a nice thought but unfortunately as long as there is widespread availability of stolen IDs (which is the case in any major metropolitan area in the US), E-Verify is close to useless.

This is besides the fact that an employer utilizing E-Verify would only suppress the local labor pool and would do nothing to solve the labor shortage here.

"The local labor pool" is being suppressed? In other words, you think that "the local labor pool" only consists of illegals? What about all those Somalis living off welfare and residing in Section 8 housing? Why aren't they working?

Yes, I know that E-verify can be manipulated. Many illegals name their anchor babies after themselves in order to use said child's SSN---doing so is considered to be ID theft. However, I respect employers who use it.

So...then employers need to raise their wages. Of course many of them don't want to do that and instead prefer cheap, exploitable, illegal labor. With the current crackdowns on illegals, the sleazy employers will have even more problems. They need to wise up and pay better. If they don't want to do that, then they have a diseased business that needs to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration