Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:35 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,452,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Are you making a toast to me or calling me the butcher? Why are you so interested in keeping illegals here?

By the way, 11 million people will not be apprehended and deported instantly. The reality, unfortunately, is that they won't be able to get most of them and it will take a long time to make a significant impact.
My whole argument goes back to the multiple comments made suggesting that illegal immigrants could simply go back to their country of origin and apply for a visa or green card....it's a blatantly misleading statement and I'm sick of people propagating such rubbish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 PM

22,580 posts, read 12,144,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
If that happened you do realize the country would have a massive labor shortage in our fields, restaurants, custodial services, meatpacking plants, and in construction....this point cannot be argued.
Yes, it can be argued. Who do you think did all those jobs before we were infested with illegals? Americans did them and they were paid a decent wage to do so. Americans didn't live in overcrowded flophouses and destroy entire neighborhoods. They lived 1 family per home and took care of their properties.

Americans still do those jobs. Even in immigrant-heavy cities, you will see Americans cleaning the hotel rooms and working back of the house restaurant jobs.

As for "the fields" --- farmers have access to an agricultural visa program that has no caps. When GA and AL got tough on illegals, illegals left in droves. Sleazy farmers who refused to use the guest worker program lost their illegals. Honest farmers who used the program had no problems getting their crops picked.

If all illegals were removed from the country, Americans would take their places. Any business that hires illegals or caters to them is a diseased business that needs to die.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
My whole argument goes back to the multiple comments made suggesting that illegal immigrants could simply go back to their country of origin and apply for a visa or green card....it's a blatantly misleading statement and I'm sick of people propagating such rubbish.
Do you wonder at all why potential legal immigrants from some countries don't have easy access to immigration visas? Answer: They offer no useful skills and tend to be a drain on society. That doesn't give them the right to thumb their noses at our laws.

BTW, those of us who post here are not "anti-immigrant". We are "anti-illegal immigration". There's a big difference between the two.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:23 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,303,926 times
Quote:
I showed you the website where the forms to fill out are, it's there, it exists. Applying seems easy, it's probably incredibly difficult to get approval. 11 million can apply and 100 might get in, why do I care if the other 10.9 mil don't get in?

You're getting sick over nothing really.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Yes, it can be argued. Who do you think did all those jobs before we were infested with illegals? Americans did them and they were paid a decent wage to do so. Americans didn't live in overcrowded flophouses and destroy entire neighborhoods. They lived 1 family per home and took care of their properties.
What time period are you referring to? The US has had a significant portion of my its workforce undocumented going back to the end of the Bracero Program in 1964.

Quote:
Americans still do those jobs. Even in immigrant-heavy cities, you will see Americans cleaning the hotel rooms and working back of the house restaurant jobs.

If all illegals were removed from the country, Americans would take their places. Any business that hires illegals or caters to them is a diseased business that needs to die.
Come on really? Where are these Americans sitting around waiting for a dishwasher or line cook job to open up? If these people actually do exist please send them up here because there already is a severe labor shortage of those positions in the Twin Cities.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Do you wonder at all why potential legal immigrants from some countries don't have easy access to immigration visas? Answer: They offer no useful skills and tend to be a drain on society. That doesn't give them the right to thumb their noses at our laws.

BTW, those of us who post here are not "anti-immigrant". We are "anti-illegal immigration". There's a big difference between the two.
They offer the skill of being willing to work their butts off in our dirty low wage/low education jobs. This is totally undervalued in my opinion. I personally have no interest in washing dishes, cleaning hotel rooms, picking crops, cleaning toilets, roofing houses, etc. I'm thankful for immigrants filling most of those positions.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
I showed you the website where the forms to fill out are, it's there, it exists. Applying seems easy, it's probably incredibly difficult to get approval. 11 million can apply and 100 might get in, why do I care if the other 10.9 mil don't get in?

You're getting sick over nothing really.
Ok so you admit to having no experience going through our immigration system. Then please don't assume the process is easy. I have gone through it twice and without getting an attorney. It is really expensive, difficult and both of my cases took years. Fortunately the few available options for immigrant visas applied in my case but I'm telling you that for what I'm guessing is >90% of the undocumented population currently residing in the US, there is no legal way to gain lawful residence and employment here, past or present. That's the reality that very few of those who post on this board are willing to acknowledge.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:16 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,303,926 times
Quote:
Ok so you admit to having no experience going through our immigration system. Then please don't assume the process is easy. I have gone through it twice and without getting an attorney. It is really expensive, difficult and both of my cases took years. Fortunately the few available options for immigrant visas applied in my case but I'm telling you that for what I'm guessing is >90% of the undocumented population currently residing in the US, there is no legal way to gain lawful residence and employment here, past or present. That's the reality that very few of those who post on this board are willing to acknowledge.
I don't recall getting the resident alien card since I was a small child but my parents got it. However, I remember going through the process to become a naturalized citizen. I recall it was a long process, had to go to INS in Laguna Nigel and LA quite a few times.

So you acknowledge that there is a path but good majority won't be able to gain residence because it is expensive, difficult and takes a long time? OK? It's good to know that it's very difficult, we don't need to import poor people with zero skills. An engineer can probably afford it, will easily find work and will be a net positive on our society.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
What time period are you referring to? The US has had a significant portion of my its workforce undocumented going back to the end of the Bracero Program in 1964.

Come on really? Where are these Americans sitting around waiting for a dishwasher or line cook job to open up? If these people actually do exist please send them up here because there already is a severe labor shortage of those positions in the Twin Cities.
Yeah, really. There is a a chain restaurant conglomerate that uses E-verify and they have no problems finding American citizens and legal immigrants to take back of the house jobs.

You must not get out much. When I stay in hotels, I talk to the housekeeping staff, many of who are Americans. Otherwise, there are legal immigrants. Many hotel chains also use E-verify.

If there is "a severe shortage" of BOH restaurant employees in the Twin Cities, then why aren't those restaurants paying a decent wage? Why aren't they using E-verify?

There have always been illegals in the workforce. However, they have not been in such great numbers as they are now. No one knows for sure how many illegals there are in this country. The government has been feeding us this number --- 11 million for the past several years. Yet every single day illegals are either sneaking across the border or overstaying a visa. It's not hard to do the math and figure out that there are more than 11 million illegals. In fact, some estimates have it at 30 million. All these illegals do is depress wages for Americans. Sleazy employers would rather hire cheap, exploitable, illegal labor instead of American citizens and legal immigrants.

Illegal aliens are parasites who take far, far more than they give. It's long past time to send them packing.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
They offer the skill of being willing to work their butts off in our dirty low wage/low education jobs. This is totally undervalued in my opinion. I personally have no interest in washing dishes, cleaning hotel rooms, picking crops, cleaning toilets, roofing houses, etc. I'm thankful for immigrants filling most of those positions.
So...you consider illegals to be just about slave labor that can be easily exploited?

Illegals have no skills. All those jobs you mentioned are unskilled labor except for roofing houses. Americans want those roofing jobs. However, honest contractors in the construction fields can't compete with sleazy contractors who hire illegals and pay them under the table.

All those unskilled jobs you mention are honest work. In my younger days, I did my share of minimum wage jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration