Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:27 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,756,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Haha. You are so right ArizonaBear. Rep points for you.

And hispanics have been pouring in for 20+ years, and many of them still dont know english. Most of those italians do by now. They were quick to adjust. And I dont recall them coming illegaly? Do you? I dont care about Mexican people, I care about illegals.

And also, Italians dont now make up 99.999% of the city of New York like Hispanics do in LA. The wave was much smaller and much less of a devastation to our economy. The italians actually paid taxes as well.
Does this post have any facts to back it up, or are you just talking out of your ass by now?

You know whats a devastation to our economy? Borrowing money to fight wars when the debt grows larger ever second.

Not immigrants building cities for peanuts.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:54 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,012,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
My theory is that the large scale immigration of hispanics to California that has been going on since the 70s(yeah, its not like mexicans just broke the fence down recently) is very much like the large scale immigration of Italians and Irish to East coast cities in the early 20th century. Lets look at similarities.

Many Latino immigrants arrive in cities like Los Angeles not knowing English. This angers the "real" Americans. Go through a Latino neighborhood and you will see signs in Spanish, and hear people speaking Spanish.

When Italian immigrants arrived, they formed their own neighborhoods. Signs for Italian owned businesses were in Italian. Italian was commonly heard spoken in these neighborhoods.

A few bad apples have led to all Latino immigrants being portrayed as criminals. Example: The young black high school athlete who was tragically murdered by an alleged illegal. This tragedy has been shamelessly used as anti-immigrant propaganda. Not only is someones terrible death being used to further a groups agenda..but the finger is being pointed at the whole immigrant community instead of one rotten individual..

A few decades ago, Italians were stereotyped as criminals because of a small minority who were involved in a thing called the mafia. Much like the small minority of latinos involved with gangs.

The new generation of American's born to Italian immigrants grew up and became assimilated into American culture, speaking English and Italian.

Find me one Latino born and raised in America, born to immigrants even, who doesn't speak English.

Italians eventually assimilated completely into American culture, while still proudly holding their heritage close to heart. italian businesses even have the colors of the italian flag sometimes in their businesses.
They also formed an important part of the history and present of New York.

With that said, Latinos too are becoming more assimilated generation after generation. Latinos too are becoming productive American Citizens..Just like The children of Italian immigrants have in the past.

Its been done since this country started: immigration.

Latinos are just the latest wave. Why do people think they will not assimilate over time? Whats so different about Latinos compared to all the other people who immigrated here?

And yes...Latinos will have a lot of influence in cities like Los Angeles...just like Italian culture has a lot of influence on New York.

Why is that so bad?

Could it be because they are brown?

the vast welfare system did not exist when the italians came in the early 20th century. the welfare system had bred resentment towards the current batch of immigrants from many americans who are being taxed to death and forced to provide benefits for the immigrants, many of whom are poor with no education. there also was limited immigration from 1924 to 1965, which gave those italian immigrants time to assimilate. the current batch of mexican immigrants don't assimilate as quickly b/c there is NO END to the amounts that come over. there is spanish language TV, spanish language in gov't offices, schools,etc. they don't bother to speak english b/c they know that there will be a bilingual employee who will be there to accomodate them. i see this all of the time as a mexican american. they are too lazy to try to speak english. when they see that i am a mex american, they immediately speak spanish. i am not here to accomodate them in my country, so i will speak english. if i was in their country, i would speak spanish.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:00 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,756,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
the vast welfare system did not exist when the italians came in the early 20th century. the welfare system had bred resentment towards the current batch of immigrants from many americans who are being taxed to death and forced to provide benefits for the immigrants, many of whom are poor with no education. there also was limited immigration from 1924 to 1965, which gave those italian immigrants time to assimilate. the current batch of mexican immigrants don't assimilate as quickly b/c there is NO END to the amounts that come over. there is spanish language TV, spanish language in gov't offices, schools,etc. they don't bother to speak english b/c they know that there will be a bilingual employee who will be there to accomodate them. i see this all of the time as a mexican american. they are too lazy to try to speak english. when they see that i am a mex american, they immediately speak spanish. i am not here to accomodate them in my country, so i will speak english. if i was in their country, i would speak spanish.

as a mexican-american, you should know that assimilation is natural. the new immigrant may never learn english. bummer.
but the children will. and thats the point.

theyre not trying to extort this country, its for the children.

people can dehumanize them, they can demonize them, but in the end, most of them are here for their children. just like americans, french, british, whatever. people just want the best for their kids.

assimilation does happen.

as a mexican-american, you should know that, and you should know better than to say the immigrants are just here to work the welfare system, and refuse to assimilate.

it make curious about your own family's route to get here. I know mine. And I know how I turned out.

I assume you did pretty good for a descendant of one of these immigrants. I wonder how you are able to speak english. Or how I am able to speak english.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:11 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,704,698 times
But the problem is THERE IS A LEGAL WAY TO GET HERE. PERIOD. I dont care if your children will learn english or not, abide by the laws, damn it!

Old 04-11-2008, 12:12 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,147,118 times
AMC760 I so admire you for attempting to put immigration
in its historical context. There is a famous book called
"Barbarians in our Midst" by Virgil Petersen that shows
Americans were very unhappy with Italian immigration.
WASP's fled from entering Italians and Irish (white flight).
Boston was White and Protestant till the Irish came in. The
White Protestants fled and Boston ended up Irish Catholic.
We don't even need to go into the Jewish wave. Oy! Whoever is
here flees from those who are newly arrived and for the
most part despises and resents them until a generation or so goes by
and they are assimilated. At some point there will be a new
wave of immigration that will affect and annoy the newly
assimilated Mexicans who will be asking why these new immigrants
can't learn English. It's really funny when you think about it...

Old 04-11-2008, 12:15 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,704,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
AMC760 I so admire you for attempting to put immigration
in its historical context. There is a famous book called
"Barbarians in our Midst" by Virgil Petersen that shows
Americans were very unhappy with Italian immigration.
WASP's fled from entering Italians and Irish (white flight).
Boston was White and Protestant till the Irish came in. The
White Protestants fled and Boston ended up Irish Catholic.
We don't even need to go into the Jewish wave. Oy! Whoever is
here flees from those who are newly arrived and for the
most part despises and resents them until a generation or so goes by
and they are assimilated. At some point there will be a new
wave of immigration that will affect and **** off the newly
assimilated Mexicans who will be asking why these new immigrants
can't learn English. It's really funny when you think about it...
Unlike the Latino wave, maybe the next wave will come here legally like groups in the past have. Thats just a thought.

Oh man, hee come the racist comments.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:16 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,147,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Maybe we should get rid of the welfare system...

Old 04-11-2008, 01:04 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,465,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
My theory is that the large scale immigration of hispanics to California that has been going on since the 70s(yeah, its not like mexicans just broke the fence down recently) is very much like the large scale immigration of Italians and Irish to East coast cities in the early 20th century. Lets look at similarities.

Many Latino immigrants arrive in cities like Los Angeles not knowing English. This angers the "real" Americans. Go through a Latino neighborhood and you will see signs in Spanish, and hear people speaking Spanish.

When Italian immigrants arrived, they formed their own neighborhoods. Signs for Italian owned businesses were in Italian. Italian was commonly heard spoken in these neighborhoods.

A few bad apples have led to all Latino immigrants being portrayed as criminals. Example: The young black high school athlete who was tragically murdered by an alleged illegal. This tragedy has been shamelessly used as anti-immigrant propaganda. Not only is someones terrible death being used to further a groups agenda..but the finger is being pointed at the whole immigrant community instead of one rotten individual..

A few decades ago, Italians were stereotyped as criminals because of a small minority who were involved in a thing called the mafia. Much like the small minority of latinos involved with gangs.

The new generation of American's born to Italian immigrants grew up and became assimilated into American culture, speaking English and Italian.

Find me one Latino born and raised in America, born to immigrants even, who doesn't speak English.

Italians eventually assimilated completely into American culture, while still proudly holding their heritage close to heart. italian businesses even have the colors of the italian flag sometimes in their businesses.
They also formed an important part of the history and present of New York.

With that said, Latinos too are becoming more assimilated generation after generation. Latinos too are becoming productive American Citizens..Just like The children of Italian immigrants have in the past.

Its been done since this country started: immigration.

Latinos are just the latest wave. Why do people think they will not assimilate over time? Whats so different about Latinos compared to all the other people who immigrated here?

And yes...Latinos will have a lot of influence in cities like Los Angeles...just like Italian culture has a lot of influence on New York.

Why is that so bad?

Could it be because they are brown?
No.

Big difference between Italians and Mexicans and how they got here.

Italians came over on a boat, they were checked for health, and some had papers some didn't. Was up to the Immigration Control if they got in or not.

Mexicans who sneak over the border come here outside the law, and come here without being checked or invited.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:13 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,671,547 times
i love how people assume that back in the day there was a "legal" way to emigrate(?). all they had to do was show up on a boat!!! get to ellis and you were scot free. and seriously think about it... if the govt has trouble processing all these applications now, imagine what it would have been like back when the millions and millions of italians were coming?!?!?! they had no technology, no copy machines, no nothing what so ever and they "legally processed" all these immigrants! right!!!! it was nothing but a bunch of rubber stamping. you people and this '"legal" immigration of the past' *** crack me up. c'mon now use common sense. all they had to do back then was show up on a boat! imagine if tht was the case now?
also history shows that this country had more immigrants at the turn of the century than it does now (in percentages). the situation now is nothing compared to back then. dont worry they have always been the back bone of this country... i mean once de jure slavery was abolished.

and yes, this will not be the last wave of immigration. im waiting for africa! ATL, DC and other places have seen it, but the rest of the nation has not. Africas coming folks... at least once they tire of europe of course...

embrace your fellow neighbor. i dont have any problem with the arabs setting up shops and restaurants and schools and prayer centers in my community. it will only make us smarter when we appreciate eachother. just let it happen. we all know the "illegals" arent the reason our economy is in shambles. they have not siphoned trillions of dollars in the past 5 years.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:30 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,752,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i love how people assume that back in the day there was a "legal" way to emigrate(?). all they had to do was show up on a boat!!! get to ellis and you were scot free. and seriously think about it... if the govt has trouble processing all these applications now, imagine what it would have been like back when the millions and millions of italians were coming?!?!?! they had no technology, no copy machines, no nothing what so ever and they "legally processed" all these immigrants! right!!!! it was nothing but a bunch of rubber stamping. you people and this '"legal" immigration of the past' *** crack me up. c'mon now use common sense. all they had to do back then was show up on a boat! imagine if tht was the case now?
also history shows that this country had more immigrants at the turn of the century than it does now (in percentages). the situation now is nothing compared to back then. dont worry they have always been the back bone of this country... i mean once de jure slavery was abolished.

and yes, this will not be the last wave of immigration. im waiting for africa! ATL, DC and other places have seen it, but the rest of the nation has not. Africas coming folks... at least once they tire of europe of course...

embrace your fellow neighbor. i dont have any problem with the arabs setting up shops and restaurants and schools and prayer centers in my community. it will only make us smarter when we appreciate eachother. just let it happen. we all know the "illegals" arent the reason our economy is in shambles. they have not siphoned trillions of dollars in the past 5 years.
Great point, it was VERY easy back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.