Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 06:59 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,344,522 times

Advertisements

Also, another difference, we don't NEED any more people now.

And, we were not a "welfare state" at that time - now, we give these illegals everything, and they just spit in our faces carrying their Mexican flags "demanding" more and more from us, the taxpayers. They don't deserve any of our benefits.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:17 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,153,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
But even you AZBear whom I have no personal issue with, have recently posted generally about Hispanic culture being at fault when it comes to learning in schools.
Study after study has confirmed as a group that 'Hispanic' kids tend not to do as well in school.

Just look at the high drop out rates, teen pregnancy, etc.

So; please explain why prior to WW II, AJA (Americans of Japanese Ancestry) children did much better in school than Mexican-American kids despite the two groups sitting side by side in the same classrooms.

That quote was from Thomas Sowell; the noted sociologist......from the book 'Race and Ethnicity'

The 'race card' dare not be used as a comeback------it would really make Latino kids look stupid.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samspade1116 View Post
You are so wrong. The Italians came here on Spanish ships and stole this land from the people that was here.
By the standards of the 15th Century-------that sort of behavior was acceptable.

The difference that at least the First World today has a higher level of ethics.

Look what the Muslim Arabs did to the people they conquered 1,000 years ago, etc.

Translation: samspade1116, your 'guilt trip' you are trying to lay falls of deaf ears. The past is the past--------it cannot be changed.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
First wave of Italians in the late 1800's did not speak English, of course they do by now. You give hispanics 1 hundred years and I bet you they will be fluent.

Four huge differences here:

#1: the vast wave of Italian immigration (mostly legal BTW) was all but stopped by 1920.

#2: many of the above who could not make it here in the USA returned to Italy

#3: it is quite easy to cross the US/Mexican border compared the the ocean hence much more opportunity for illegals from SOB.

#4: most Italian parents insisted that their children learn English not Italian.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
That's the best you got? Don't worry much like Italy, Mexico's economy will get better then the wave will stop.
Then all your White American women will want a hairy cross bearing Mexican for a husband, Rodriguez will be the new Deniro, you will decorate your house with luxurious Mexican blankets!!! I can see the future now!
Remember that many 'Latinas' may prefer Nordic White guys as well-------what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Keep in mind the standard of beauty in Hispanic culture is white skin and blue eyes-------which, I personally feel is sad being that most Latinos in the USA are neither.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
the vast welfare system did not exist when the italians came in the early 20th century. the welfare system had bred resentment towards the current batch of immigrants from many americans who are being taxed to death and forced to provide benefits for the immigrants, many of whom are poor with no education. there also was limited immigration from 1924 to 1965, which gave those italian immigrants time to assimilate. the current batch of mexican immigrants don't assimilate as quickly b/c there is NO END to the amounts that come over. there is spanish language TV, spanish language in gov't offices, schools,etc. they don't bother to speak english b/c they know that there will be a bilingual employee who will be there to accomodate them. i see this all of the time as a mexican american. they are too lazy to try to speak english. when they see that i am a mex american, they immediately speak spanish. i am not here to accomodate them in my country, so i will speak english. if i was in their country, i would speak spanish.
And; you are right..............

My father when he immigrated here (legally), took it upon himself to learn English.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:11 AM

635 posts, read 1,747,508 times
Mexicans are not only in Los Angeles, there EVERYWHERE. Wherever there is work, they will be there.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:20 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,480,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
as a mexican-american, you should know that assimilation is natural. the new immigrant may never learn english. bummer.
but the children will. and thats the point.

theyre not trying to extort this country, its for the children.

people can dehumanize them, they can demonize them, but in the end, most of them are here for their children. just like americans, french, british, whatever. people just want the best for their kids.

assimilation does happen.

as a mexican-american, you should know that, and you should know better than to say the immigrants are just here to work the welfare system, and refuse to assimilate.

it make curious about your own family's route to get here. I know mine. And I know how I turned out.

I assume you did pretty good for a descendant of one of these immigrants. I wonder how you are able to speak english. Or how I am able to speak english.
'It's for the children' is convenient cover for just about any behavior, no matter how egregious. "People just want the best for their kids" At whose expense? Americans also want the best for their kids. If American parents are paying $6000 a year in property taxes because they wanted to have their children go to school in a good district and suddenly there are 10 non English speaking students in their child's class and this takes away from the education their child should be receiving, do you honestly expect them to be thrilled about that? What about when school programs start being cut because of ELL and remedial expenses? Or the value of their home drops by $30,000 because the neighborhood is overrun with clown houses. You seem to think illegal immigration is a victimless crime. That is not the case at all.

At the time the Italians were immigrating to the US in large numbers the US population was approx. 100 million. It is over 3 times that now. Do you understand that we cannot endlessly allow a completely uncontrolled influx of millions of people without the collapse of our infrastructure, benefit system and ultimately our society? This is common sense. Do we really want to live in a place like Calcutta due to massive overcrowding?

As has been mentioned, when the Italians came to the US, there was no welfare system to collect benefits from. And there were no ethnic advocacy groups making all sorts of outrageous demands. Italy did not have 47 consulates in the US. The Italian gov. was not constantly meddling in our affairs. Italian immigrants either made a go of it in the US or returned home. (a not insignificant number of immigrants did go back to Europe during the Great Depession). This meant that the immigrants from Italy who did stay here were the cream of the crop, the people who were able to make it on their own. They had to survive independant of the gov. largesse because there was no gov. largesse. to be had. Today the situation seems to be the exact opposite.

We endlessly drive home the message that it is important to get an education to our own children. We stress that they must at a minimum graduate from high school if they are to survive financially in today's world. Then on the other hand we permit millions of illegal immigrants without a high school education to take up residence in our country. This makes no sense at all. Do you understand that when the Italians came to the US, having an education was not that important? There were jobs that allowed them to move the family into the middle class without a HS diploma. All that was required was a strong back and a willingness to work. Those jobs have long since gone and they won't be back. Today's illegal immigrant who is picking strawberries will be doing the same thing 10 years from now. And their family will still be dependent on assistance from the US gov. What we are doing is importing another underclass. Before you start talking about how the children will advance up the economic ladder, keep in mind that hispanics have a 50% high school dropout rate and pregnancy rates for hispanic teens are among the highest of any ethnic group. These behaviors do not bode well for the economic prospects of the second generation.

The US is a very different place than it was 100 years ago. I do not see this group of illegal immigrants achieving the same success as legal immigrants in the last century.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:31 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,564,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
the vast welfare system did not exist when the italians came in the early 20th century. the welfare system had bred resentment towards the current batch of immigrants from many americans who are being taxed to death and forced to provide benefits for the immigrants, many of whom are poor with no education. there also was limited immigration from 1924 to 1965, which gave those italian immigrants time to assimilate. the current batch of mexican immigrants don't assimilate as quickly b/c there is NO END to the amounts that come over. there is spanish language TV, spanish language in gov't offices, schools,etc. they don't bother to speak english b/c they know that there will be a bilingual employee who will be there to accomodate them. i see this all of the time as a mexican american. they are too lazy to try to speak english. when they see that i am a mex american, they immediately speak spanish. i am not here to accomodate them in my country, so i will speak english. if i was in their country, i would speak spanish.
Nice try, Wehotex....you ALMOST got away with it....but you can't fool ALL of us. Let's be honest here....you REALLY just don't like these folks because they're brown...right?

Old 04-11-2008, 09:45 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,573,570 times
Ellis Island was the proper entry for immigrants during that era, and records were maintained on all who entered. The Italians entered this country through Ellis Island, and thereby adhered to the dictates of our country. They didn’t enter like thieves in the night. IMO, there’s a big difference. The criminal behavior of a small group of Italians who entered this country legally cannot be compared to illegal alien criminality. The fact is; they were ‘admitted’ into this country in accordance with the ‘procedures’ of that era.

I have a legal right to live in my house because I followed the proper procedures. Had I simply removed the lock on a house I admired and moved in, I would have no legal right to homeownership.

BTW, I seriously doubt if there would be as much enthusiasm to embrace the influx of illegal aliens if the vast majority ‘seeking a better life’ originated from Haiti, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, or Nigeria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration