Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 08:26 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,347,890 times

Advertisements

^^^ The Greatest Generation would not recognise this country as the U.S. anymore.... For that matter, neither do I.

At this point, I would rather be an emigre in another country than stay here if I were younger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2023, 12:37 PM

6,517 posts, read 3,202,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
This is absolutely nuts. The Greatest Generation is turning in their graves at the mess their kids and grandkids have created.
I'm one of the "kids" that you refer to, and I guarantee that I didn't help create this mess. My parents worked, and worked hard, for anything that they had. And along the way, they taught me to do the same, which I've been doing, all of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
^^^ The Greatest Generation would not recognize this country as the U.S. anymore.... For that matter, neither do I.

At this point, I would rather be an emigre in another country than stay here if I were younger.
I understand where you're coming from. I'm too old, and too "dug in" to move now, but I'm certainly not happy with the way things are turning out.

I worked my tail off, for the last 50 years, in order to live like this???

Old 08-19-2023, 09:14 PM

32,833 posts, read 19,539,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
And if a homeowner dared to pull a gun to defend his family and home, Biden would order the FBI and DOJ to come down on that guy. They would take away his guns, his Freedom and sap his life savings when he has to lawyer up. He would eventually lose his property and the cartels would take it as a rest house for their mules.

$40 BILLION! How much wall can we put up with that money?
well considering the entire wall was supposed to cost 105 million.... let's do the math...... with 40 billion....you could get 380 complete (from the pacific, to the gulf) walls

Old 08-20-2023, 09:07 AM

4,235 posts, read 2,548,737 times
The GOP is responsible in large part for where we are today. Bush II's immigration reform was shot down by the tea party folks. The Senate's bipartisan plan when Obama was president was shot down by Speaker Ryan who prohibited it from going to committee. Trump was on the cusp of reform until Fox News objected. Don't like it, then nominate someone on the GOP side who is concerned about his more than him/herself.

Old 08-20-2023, 09:30 AM

63,097 posts, read 29,284,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
The GOP is responsible in large part for where we are today. Bush II's immigration reform was shot down by the tea party folks. The Senate's bipartisan plan when Obama was president was shot down by Speaker Ryan who prohibited it from going to committee. Trump was on the cusp of reform until Fox News objected. Don't like it, then nominate someone on the GOP side who is concerned about his more than him/herself.
No, the GOP isn't responsible it's the Democrats that refuse to secure the border, their refusal to enforce our immigration laws internally, to sign an e-verify law, promising all kind so goodies to illegal aliens and their constant amnesty stances. Those are the magnets that are bringing them here plus birthright citizenship for their kids. Trump was only going to legalize the DACA's in exchange for the wall funds. He never was in favor of a massive amnesty.

Immigration reform? That's simply rewarding immigration law breakers. We tried that back in 1986 and now we have at least quadruple the number of illegal aliens here today. Amnesty is not a solution it's quite the opposite and is not the right thing for the American people.

Old 08-20-2023, 10:23 AM

7,658 posts, read 4,639,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, the GOP isn't responsible it's the Democrats that refuse to secure the border, their refusal to enforce our immigration laws internally, to sign an e-verify law, promising all kind so goodies to illegal aliens and their constant amnesty stances. Those are the magnets that are bringing them here plus birthright citizenship for their kids. Trump was only going to legalize the DACA's in exchange for the wall funds. He never was in favor of a massive amnesty.

Immigration reform? That's simply rewarding immigration law breakers. We tried that back in 1986 and now we have at least quadruple the number of illegal aliens here today. Amnesty is not a solution it's quite the opposite and is not the right thing for the American people.

Historically and into W Bush's Presidency, Republicans were always the supporters of LEGAL immigration and encouraged it. Their moves for immigration reform were perpetually opposed by union fed Democrats.

On the other hand, Democrats seem to have this weird fascination with allowing illegal immigration but keeping people as a second hand citizen, using the mantra of racisim to bemoan citizens that want everyone to be signed up legally. The reality is that all of the illegal racism puts a lot of complication into downstream functions such as hospitals, driving, housing etc....which in turn lead to the need for more government regulation.

It's sick and twisted.

The solution should be to firm up the border, but have fast tracked migratory companies that can come up for groups following various harvest groups. Individuals can attach themselves to these companies for the duration of the work and then return home when the work is done, and the companies can be accountable for actions of sponsorship for activity while in the US. This can be done in coordination with existing migratory visas.

Travel visas should be made in cooperation with other countries. Those countries not readily accepting the return of their citizens that have overstayed will have more restrictions than countries willing to have a fast track deportation process. For countries where the overwhelming group are refugees....building some refugee camps (at great cost up front, but subsequently lowering cost throughout the country) might be advisable....but the States should have a greater say in where these are offered. Low population areas that are aging out may want some more immigration over areas that are already crowded and infrastructure is breaking. (i.e. Phoenix is running out of water)

As to the existing illegals, there was a time where foreign nationals couldn't own or make certain transactions. Perhaps its time to bring this back. States should also protect their vote by making sure voters are citizens at the risk of losing representation.

There's a lot to be thought through on this. Immigration has been an important factor in bringing new ideas to the country via people wanting a place with freedoms that allow the inalienable rights of this land. Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. Building up a tiered citizenship group that occurs de facto when you let in millions of illegals will go against this very ideal.

Old 08-20-2023, 11:10 AM

6,282 posts, read 3,440,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
This is unbelievable. What next? Force Americans to house illegals and refugees in their homes? Maybe they should force Americans out of their homes so the properties can be turned over to illegals and refugees? How much worse is this going to get, folks?!?!?! This is another hard, hard slap in the face to Americans who suffered/suffer from homeless and live in poverty.
No I would say sending millions to Ukraine using FEMA money is worst.

Old 08-20-2023, 11:45 AM

7,658 posts, read 4,639,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
No I would say sending millions to Ukraine using FEMA money is worst.

Personally, I think what Biden's doing in Ukraine has been brilliant. If Putin could fall due to increased pressure and Russia could be reopened up for safe investment again, it would be a tremendous benefit to the world...possibly restarting globalization both there and in Central Asia. All without US service members getting shot.

Plus, it honors a treaty we made with the Ukraine in exchange for their nukes after the fall of Communism. Russia, USA and the UK all agreed they would protect Ukraine in exchange for handing over their nukes....which Ukraine did. Russia has obviously violated this treaty. Rather than land our troops and risk nuclear war, a coalition of the willing has been built. It's some fine diplomacy. Much better than Afghanistan.

If we let Russia simply overrun Ukraine, China will immediately launch for Taiwan and the world loses two democracies. Both in which the US has committed itself to defense.

Biden has many faults, but this is not one of them.

Old 08-20-2023, 11:46 AM

43,374 posts, read 18,477,138 times
Hearing that our government will spend $40 billion to provide shelter to the illegals while we have citizens that have no home should be UNITING us.

Instead the conversation always ends up being Republican Party vs Democratic Party and who is at fault.

And so we remain divided. And the corruption that has creeped into our government continues UNFETTERED.

Old 08-20-2023, 12:33 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,347,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

Exactly!! I was against all of these "reform" measures from the start. Solution my Aunt Fanny!! They just amount to a free pass for illegals and their offspring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration