Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 09:12 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellzbellz View Post
Sometimes you just can't kill a rumor.

https://www.mediamatters.org/immigra...00-debit-cards
And you believe Media Matters? Which quotes the Washington Post and Associated Press? hahahahahahaha

You are funny this morning. Thanks for the laugh!!

It is a well known fact that the federal government gives money to charities that encourage and accommodate illegal immigrants. So the feds are maybe not directly funding the aliens but certainly are indirectly. Travel expenses, food, lodging, all paid for. Children enrolled in public schools for which the parents are not (yet) paying taxes. Medical services, ditto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 10:49 AM

138 posts, read 229,935 times
Default And you believe an election denier sherriff

even funnier.

Old 12-09-2023, 02:43 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
An Arizona sheriff who moonlights as a Republican candidate for U.S. Senate has claimed that undocumented migrants are being given $5,000 gift cards after illegally crossing the southern border.

Pinal County Sheriff Mark Lamb made the claim this week in a video shared to his Senate campaign account on X, formerly Twitter. Lamb said that "our government" was handing the migrants gift cards, cell phones and airline tickets to any domestic destination after entering the country.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...966f6c90&ei=46

No wonder they are coming here in droves! Think of what our own needy citizens could do with a $5,000 gift card from our government.
Did you read the article? There is no proof this is actually happening. You posted a rumor spread by a candidate trying to drum up support. PT Barnum was absolutely right.

Old 12-09-2023, 03:13 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,693,382 times
Quote:
An Arizona sheriff who moonlights as a Republican candidate for U.S. Senate has claimed that undocumented migrants are being given $5,000 gift cards after illegally crossing the southern border.

Pinal County Sheriff Mark Lamb made the claim this week in a video shared to his Senate campaign account on X, formerly Twitter. Lamb said that "our government" was handing the migrants gift cards, cell phones and airline tickets to any domestic destination after entering the country.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...966f6c90&ei=46

No wonder they are coming here in droves! Think of what our own needy citizens could do with a $5,000 gift card from our government.
Good for them. Sounds like they need help.

Old 12-09-2023, 09:04 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I have no idea if the migrants receive $5000 gift cards, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. I wouldn't be surprised if charities such as Catholic Charities or others, are providing them with such freebies. After all its obvious to anyone that sees these people in public places, they all seem to have phones and some money to spend. Here in Massachusetts that has received several thousand migrants in recent months, some things are becoming blatantly obvious. They all seem to have nice winter coats and always seem to be carrying shopping bags. They are seen waiting for buses and walking in the streets to stores, they are seen in the shopping centers and Malls with bags filled with purchases they made. For people from 3rd World Countries they sure as hell seem to quickly find their way around the area, and spend money or get this that and everything else for free. So that money had to come from somewhere. I know a cashier at a regional grocery store, said they have been showing up in Ubers with their EBT or gift cards and buy the best food. They buy grills to cook in the bathtubs of the motels they stay at, because its to cold outside for them.

Today is the Army Navy Game here at Gillette Stadium in the Foxboro area of Massaschusetts. There are literally thousands of visitors coming to this game, that had reservations at motels and hotels in the state. A certain amount of reservations were all cancelled buy the state, and those rooms were given to the migrants. So hopefully the people with cancelled reservations have found other accomodations, because its a sell out in the hotel world in this state. I would imagine they are booked in rooms as far away as Maine and New Hampshire.

My point is the migrants have received a whole lot more than a $5000 gift card. They have received millions and the money they receive in benefits is so much more than a $5000 gift card. They have displaced people and towns have become financially burdened by them being here. I honestly wonder did our Gov't do this to destroy our way of life, or just what is really going on with all these migrants here. Something is very crooked with this entire border migrant issue. What is scaring me the most is why are the citizens of the US allowing this to continue, and lets face it we are. We complain about it but our words fall on deaf ears with the Federal Gov't. In the case of Massachusetts it falls on deaf ears with our state leaders.
I agree with everything that you are saying. However, I remind you that the American people voted for this mess. Trump wanted a wall, and everyone said that a wall is racist and that Trump was racist for keeping these "migrants" out of the country. They are not "migrants"; they are illegal migrants or illegal aliens. And if you think the illegals are causing problems in MA, you should see the mess they are causing in NYC. The hardworking taxpaying citizens of NYC don't deserve it, and the American people don't deserve it because they have put tens of billions into projects to improve NYC, only to have this happen.

Old 12-10-2023, 05:51 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I agree with everything that you are saying. However, I remind you that the American people voted for this mess. Trump wanted a wall, and everyone said that a wall is racist and that Trump was racist for keeping these "migrants" out of the country. They are not "migrants"; they are illegal migrants or illegal aliens. And if you think the illegals are causing problems in MA, you should see the mess they are causing in NYC. The hardworking taxpaying citizens of NYC don't deserve it, and the American people don't deserve it because they have put tens of billions into projects to improve NYC, only to have this happen.
Law abiding Americans did not vote for this. The problem is that the anti-American traitors who did outnumber us.

Old 12-10-2023, 06:06 AM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post

And I agree with everything you have said. Citizens of NYC do not deserve this mess. Yes alot of Americans voted for this mess. Sadly I imagine many will vote for it again in 2024. Biden and his cronies need to be removed. Let's face it Charities and the Corporate World looking for cheap labor are all contributing to this invasion. Shut them down. My hope is very soon things really hit the fan, and finally the American people say Enough is Enough.

Old 12-10-2023, 06:43 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Your remarks have nothing to do with what poster katharsis said.
Yes it did. You just did not like what I said. I used to live in Pinal County. They have a rep for having crackpot sheriffs who like to self promote, I pointed out an example for someone who was wondering if this story was true. There is no evidence that illegals are given $5,000 gift cards. I agree they should not be allowed in. But making up or promoting lies weakens that argument. I say stick to the facts which are more than enough.

Old 12-10-2023, 07:41 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
And you believe Media Matters? Which quotes the Washington Post and Associated Press? hahahahahahaha

You are funny this morning. Thanks for the laugh!!

It is a well known fact that the federal government gives money to charities that encourage and accommodate illegal immigrants. So the feds are maybe not directly funding the aliens but certainly are indirectly. Travel expenses, food, lodging, all paid for. Children enrolled in public schools for which the parents are not (yet) paying taxes. Medical services, ditto.
"So the feds are maybe not directly funding the aliens but certainly are indirectly." And so you admit that the original story is false and you do the pretzel-twist to support it anyway. If someone wants to post about indirect assistance to immigrants, why isn't the post about that instead of spreading false and inflammatory inaccuracies? I would say "hahaha" but it is not funny how so many people are vulnerable to this sort of manipulation into self-righteous frenzies over something that is not true.

Further, all children residing in the US have the right to an education, regardless of immigrant status, no matter how we feel about it. This was decided by the Supreme Court more than 40 years ago. Until there is a ruling from the Supreme Court that changes it, this is not a "Joe Biden" issue. As a Democrat, I am concerned about the funds dedicated to the children of the undocumented, since it is often consuming resources in neighborhoods where the children of US citizens need the most help. However, refusing to educate children who are living here would create its own forms of harm. This is a difficult issue and I do support more control at the border, although one giant wall is not the answer, as success in breaching the current sections of wall have proven.

Last edited by JOinGA; 12-10-2023 at 08:16 AM..

Old 12-10-2023, 08:11 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
"So the feds are maybe not directly funding the aliens but certainly are indirectly." And so you admit that the original story is false and you do the pretzel-twist to support it anyway. If someone wants to post about indirect assistance to immigrants, why isn't the post about that instead of spreading false and inflammatory inaccuracies? I would say "hahaha" but it is not funny how so many people are vulnerable to this sort of manipulation into self-righteous frenzies over something that is not true.
And that kind of thing has been going on for decades. I remember when I lived in Tucson there was an illegal woman hiding in a church who the INS wanted to deport. People had "Free Rosa" signs on their lawns and money was taken up to help her. There are immigrants rights groups that help these people. But that is very different than the feds handing out $5000 gift cards.

If you want to stop that kind of thing states or the feds need to pass a law that assisting illegals in any way including free legal help or handing them money is a felony offense. It would be aiding and abetting a wanted criminal. I would be fine with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration