Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 07:15 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,470,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
If they can't respect us and our laws, than why should we respect them?
Treat others the way you like to be treated. There are Americans who break the law, I'm not sure if you've heard of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 07:18 PM

332 posts, read 449,861 times
Well you know, if we keep being generous and letting them come over, we want have "NOTHING!" I mean I don't walk through the streets spitting on them and calling them names, but I don't know how many more we can take in this country.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:22 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,470,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
I mean I don't walk through the streets spitting on them and calling them names, but I don't know how many more we can take in this country.
I've dealt with hundreds of hispanics over my lifetime. One called me "white boy," because she felt I was disrespectul. She let it go, I forgave her, that's my only incident. I think your exagerrating* their treatment towards you.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:38 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,680,349 times
GREELEY - The line of applicants hoping to fill jobs vacated by undocumented workers taken away by immigration agents at the Swift & Co. meat-processing plant earlier this week was out the door Thursday.

Among them was Derrick Stegall, who carefully filled out paperwork he hoped would get him an interview and eventually land him a job as a slaughterer. Two of his friends had been taken away by Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents and he felt compelled to fill their rubber boots.

Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

Wont do the work huh?

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 11:33 AM..

Old 02-12-2007, 08:49 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,190,737 times
I feel this is a way to keep illegal immigrants an open issue and our lower class citizens on welfare. Low wages and physical demanding is a cop out attitude. If some of these citizens on welfare had to get out and do these jobs they would understand what the rest of us go through as they sit and collect money for nothing. The solution stop illegals from entering and make people who's children are over age 4 get a job and stop the welfare.

The only thing with the age of children a lot of women have more babies so, they don't have to work. Then, I would say after a certain number of children you will no longer receive welfare it's unfair to the American citizens to pay for people having babies so they don't have to work and get a free check.

I find it very strange that Oprah is put on a high pedestal with women I would never consider her for President much less her opinion on how she gets her lawn mowed and if she's using illegals then, they need to expose her for what she is!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
huh???? Bush is endorsing the guest worker program, which I and many others think is to much. Bush is VERY liberal on this issue. Maybe I misunderstood.

Funny story about South Africa since you mention them. I was there about 5 years ago and ventured into Kruger Park and talked to some rangers. For them Mozamique is their Mexico - a troubled country in poverty covered with land mines. Not that South Africa is much better but they have the diamond mines that pay pretty good. So people from Mozambique sneak across the border to work in the diamond mines. Between these two countries, extending the entire border, is Kruger National Park which is about the size or Road Island. So they have to cross Kruger, usually at night. Kruger is full of lions, rhino's, all sorts of nasty animals. Naturally they hunt at night, particularly lions. The ranger says he can't even count the number of Mozambiquians that end up eaten. That's there border protection.
Oh, can hear Human Rights and the ACLU right now!!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 08:51 AM

10,192 posts, read 11,178,712 times
Welfare is suppose to be temporary, not a way of life.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Welfare is suppose to be temporary, not a way of life.
Some don't realize this and our government fails to remind them. But, maybe this is why we have poor on welfare and illegals immigrants coming in wipe out the middle class!!

Old 02-12-2007, 06:33 PM

4,541 posts, read 6,813,077 times
Let's be real. There are several jobs available that many Americans won't do even if the pay is good. I know employers who have offered high school drop outs with no skills $12 to $15 an hour to start if they will just show up 5 days a week and work 8 hours a day. The work is in manufacturing and they will train. It is not particularly dangerous or dirty. There are many advancement opportunities for those who are interested in learning.

The problem. Most don't show up each day. They get paid and go out partying and just don't show up for a couple of days. Too many people are just plain lazy! Many scam our social services systems and find "doctors" to declare them permanently unfit for work.

The illegals are here because most want to work and would prefer living in the US and the opportunities available to them to the situation they left.

Below are some of my ideas from my lincolnian.org

Civic, Family, and Social Welfare Incentives:

Provide a tax credit for documented time spent volunteering through an approved and recognized charity, church, or civic organization up to $2000 per individual.
Provide a marriage credit or child support credit of $2000 per parent. Parents paying child support will receive a credit if they are current with support payments. Parents entitled to child support will receive a credit if they have filed for child support identifying the parent responsible for payment. In any case in which the amount of the credit falls below the defined poverty level of income after deductions, credits, and exemptions then the person(s) filing would be entitled to a refund in that amount.
Provide a $15,000 annual exemption from federal and state taxes over and above the standard child deductions for each child adopted from the foster care program through age 18 or the completion of post-secondary education. The adopted child would be eligible for a federally-sponsored health care plan.
Provide an annual cash rebate for every year a former long-term recipient of welfare assistance remains employed and does not apply for assistance inversely related to the time they had received payments. For example a former recipient who had received payments for one year would be eligible for a one time rebate and a five or more year recipient would be eligible to receive rebates up to five years (capped).

Citizenship:

Allow every non-citizen currently residing in the United States to register for citizenship subject to the following:
The petitioning guest resident must not have a criminal background nor commit any crime within their guest residency period.
The petitioning guest resident pledges allegiance to respect the laws of the United States and the principles set forth in the Constitution of the United States.
The petitioning guest resident must demonstrate a functional level of proficiency in English and the history of the United States within a specified period of time.
The petitioning guest resident must remain employed, capable of sustaining employment, or capable of providing for themselves and dependents while a guest resident of the United States.
Consider the granting of guest resident visas subject to the following:
All of the above requirements for current guest residents;
Fast-track admission preference for documented skills in U.S. shortage areas such as medicine, technology, engineering, and science.

Security:

Establish a national worker’s identification card containing a photograph, home address, and citizen status (resident or guest resident/expiration date). Verification of status could be checked by scanning the card through the current banking system network or verified at any local bank or town hall.
Make it unlawful to employ or provide housing for any worker that does not have or be able to provide a national identification card prior to beginning work or establishing residence.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:24 AM

26,231 posts, read 49,107,208 times
Americans WILL do the work...but we must be paid a LIVING WAGE so we can make ends meet... and it must include health care. The USA is the ONLY one of the "great" industrial nations that does not provide health care for it's people. We continue to believe in the myth of "free enterprise" in this area (see URLs at bottom for more).

For many years, every employer who can get away with it has hired illegals because illegals have no rights at all, and no workmens comp when they get hurt, especially in dangerous meat packing plants. Workmens comp insurance is VERY expensive for employers. If an illegal complains after unfair treatment, or get hurt, they're fired and put out the door. Illegals can't file a lawsuit for anything...they aren't here legally so they have no standing in our legal system. They can't afford to hire a lawyer anyway. Employers are getting VERY fat on these people, mistreating them greatly and all the while our own people sit on welfare because it pays more than minimum wage jobs....some resort to selling dope/meth or whatever...some resort to prostitution....crime pays so much better than minimum wage...

I get so mad at the situation I could scream... but those making fortunes off the backs of these illegals...mostly the politically-sacred "small business" types, keep paying off Congressmen and nothing changes.

If we pay our people a decent wage and give them the dignity of health care, Americans will fill these jobs... it is interesting to note that in some cities where janitorial work is unionized that our people do take these jobs... as it allows them the income and benefits to exist in our society at a level of basic comfort and security.

s/Mike from back east

For ideas on how I'd solve the illegal immigration issue, please read:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/other...egals-out.html

For published articles on the myth that our U.S. health care "system" is best, please read these:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060530/canada_us_healthcare_060530/20060530?hub=TopStories (broken link)

http://www.cha.harvard.edu/news/pres...h_survey.shtml

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060530/wl_canada_nm/canada_usa_canada_col_1 (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration