Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:02 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,434,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Isn't this a rather broad conclusion? Sure, illegal aliens broke immigration laws. But other than that many are law abiding citizens, for the most part. They are generally people who came across our border to take on low paying, difficult jobs. In many instances they may respect every single one of our U.S. laws except for our immigration laws. It's not like they all go out robbing people and holding up liquor stores.
Since when is the Immigration Law an exception?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 08:13 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,434,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
When did “illegal” become an “ethnic” designation? Apparently I missed that memo. Please share with those of us who are not in the loop.
Give em" hell Beni,!

Old 10-27-2009, 12:45 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,668,019 times
ya at 17 its a bit easier than when you are 9 or 13. you can just blow stuff off. or you know the difference. with younger kids its harder.

interestingly, being likened to mark sanchez isnt a bad thing. he is the former USC quarterback who now heads the NY Jets. Not a bad looking kid. it might have been a compliment...

just wondering, how do you relate to bullies? or how did you? bullying sometimes led to bloody noses where im from .

Quote:
Yes, my son and I are citizens. Rather than guess, I asked my son how he would feel if someone called him illegal. Mind you, he’s 17, so his skin is pretty thick. He said, “Why would I care if someone called me illegal? I’m not. Would I like it? Probably not, but I really wouldn’t care.”

While we were talking, he told me that someone at school today called him Mark Sanchez. When he asked the boy why he called him that, he told him because he looks like him. My son said he simply responded, “Whatever.” I’m not familiar with Mark Sanchez, so I have no idea if there is a resemblance.

Kids learn what they live. If you teach a child not to mistreat others, generally they won’t. However, most schools have at least one bully. My mother taught me how to relate to bullies, so I never had a problem.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:14 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
ya at 17 its a bit easier than when you are 9 or 13. you can just blow stuff off. or you know the difference. with younger kids its harder.

interestingly, being likened to mark sanchez isnt a bad thing. he is the former USC quarterback who now heads the NY Jets. Not a bad looking kid. it might have been a compliment...

just wondering, how do you relate to bullies? or how did you? bullying sometimes led to bloody noses where im from .
Out of curiosity, I checked out Mark Sanchez on the internet. Wow! Talk about an uncanny resemblance.

As a petite female, invariably other girls felt compelled to ‘test’ me. My mother, also being petite, had similar experiences during her youth. She was also a tomboy. In elementary school, she was the only black girl in her 4th grade class. Although she is fair-skinned, it was a small town, so her biracial heritage was common knowledge. One day while at recess, a boy in her class called her the N word. She found a rusty can, lunged toward him, and put a deep gash in his leg. He was on crutches for weeks. Mind you, they were friends.

She was also known for biting, and left permanent marks on two of her friends. Each time I visited my hometown, one of her male friends would point to his scar and mention the time my mother bit a chunk out of his face.

Rule #1: NEVER show fear. Rule #2: NEVER run. Rule #3: Fight with your words. Rule #4: If confronted by a group of girls, always go for the ringleader. If you can’t beat her with your fists, pick up whatever you can use as a weapon, and try your best to beat the hell out of her. My older brother would often run from a fight, and if he ran into the house while my mother was there, she would tell him, “Either fight him, or I’ll beat your butt.”

Rarely did I ever have to fight. As a matter of fact, all of my fights occurred in my small hometown. We would fight one day, and play together with our dolls the next. After I moved to DC I never had to fight, although many put me to the test. I didn’t know anyone at my school on the first day in the 7th grade. Most of the girls had attended elementary school together, so they decided to taunt me in gym class. I didn’t have to resort to #4, because although I was afraid, I never let them know. I didn’t back down, so I gained their respect. We became the best of friends. I would often hear others say, “She’s small, but she’s tough.”

Of course, when I was young, kids weren’t killing each other.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:59 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,668,019 times
very similar situation.

now i tell my kids that its not worth it to fight. kids got guns and knives and god knows what else these days.

before we werent as brutal. once some one was down, it was over. now, they stomp you out when youre down. its awful.

what i tell the kids tho is, "beat them with your words". BUT dont start fights, finish them if you must. try to never be caught alone. it should always be one on one but if its not, go for the main head. if you must fight, let it only be in self defense. let them say what they will... until they lay hands on you. then well you gotta do what you gotta do. AND know when to walk away, because there aint nothing wrong with walking away.

its hard, but i would rather my kids come home in peace, than in pieces.

it just aint like it was before.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, I checked out Mark Sanchez on the internet. Wow! Talk about an uncanny resemblance.

As a petite female, invariably other girls felt compelled to ‘test’ me. My mother, also being petite, had similar experiences during her youth. She was also a tomboy. In elementary school, she was the only black girl in her 4th grade class. Although she is fair-skinned, it was a small town, so her biracial heritage was common knowledge. One day while at recess, a boy in her class called her the N word. She found a rusty can, lunged toward him, and put a deep gash in his leg. He was on crutches for weeks. Mind you, they were friends.

She was also known for biting, and left permanent marks on two of her friends. Each time I visited my hometown, one of her male friends would point to his scar and mention the time my mother bit a chunk out of his face.

Rule #1: NEVER show fear. Rule #2: NEVER run. Rule #3: Fight with your words. Rule #4: If confronted by a group of girls, always go for the ringleader. If you can’t beat her with your fists, pick up whatever you can use as a weapon, and try your best to beat the hell out of her. My older brother would often run from a fight, and if he ran into the house while my mother was there, she would tell him, “Either fight him, or I’ll beat your butt.”

Rarely did I ever have to fight. As a matter of fact, all of my fights occurred in my small hometown. We would fight one day, and play together with our dolls the next. After I moved to DC I never had to fight, although many put me to the test. I didn’t know anyone at my school on the first day in the 7th grade. Most of the girls had attended elementary school together, so they decided to taunt me in gym class. I didn’t have to resort to #4, because although I was afraid, I never let them know. I didn’t back down, so I gained their respect. We became the best of friends. I would often hear others say, “She’s small, but she’s tough.”

Of course, when I was young, kids weren’t killing each other.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:25 PM

776 posts, read 1,276,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Since when is the Immigration Law an exception?
I did not say immigration law was an exception. My post was responding to the statement above that illegals “have no respect for USA laws” and they “break whatever laws get in their way.” I think that is a rather broad conclusion. Do you agree?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:31 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
I did not say immigration law was an exception. My post was responding to the statement above that illegals “have no respect for USA laws” and they “break whatever laws get in their way.” I think that is a rather broad conclusion. Do you agree?
I certainly do not agree.

I know first-hand that they will break any law; they seem to not know the meaning of laws...and they don't give a rats azz.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:35 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
I certainly do NOT agree. Aren’t they ALL willfully living here -- in violation of our laws? Aren’t they working here -- in violation of our laws? Aren’t they using fake or stolen SSNs -- in violation of our laws? Aren’t they committing tax evasion -- in violation of our laws? Aren’t they driving without a license or insurance -- in violation of our laws? Let’s not forget the violent criminals and the myriad laws they violate. There isn’t one illegal alien in this country who is not violating our laws. Can you name one?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:46 PM

776 posts, read 1,276,099 times
Quote:
I certainly do NOT agree. Aren’t they ALL willfully living here -- in violation of our laws? Aren’t they working here -- in violation of our laws? Aren’t they using fake or stolen SSNs -- in violation of our laws? Aren’t they committing tax evasion -- in violation of our laws? Aren’t they driving without a license or insurance -- in violation of our laws? Let’s not forget the violent criminals and the myriad laws they violate. There isn’t one illegal alien in this country who is not violating our laws. Can you name one?
Sure, if a person is an illegal alien then they have broken immigration laws. Well, except for small children who were brought by their parents but were not born in America. They did not come willingly, and yet are illegal aliens. There are probably several hundred thousand of these "illegal alien" children who have not broken any laws.

=======
I think we are going off on a tanget in this thread. I am guilty as well. Sorry for the thread jack.

I believe the topic at hand is that many Mexican immigrants equate "illegal" with other ethnic slurs.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:09 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Sure, if a person is an illegal alien then they have broken immigration laws. Well, except for small children who were brought by their parents but were not born in America. They did not come willingly, and yet are illegal aliens. There are probably several hundred thousand of these "illegal alien" children who have not broken any laws.

=======
I think we are going off on a tanget in this thread. I am guilty as well. Sorry for the thread jack.

I believe the topic at hand is that many Mexican immigrants equate "illegal" with other ethnic slurs.
And those minor age children still need to leave the USA (unless their parents abandon them here).

Flip side: if a pair of Americans with a small US born child moved to Mexico illegally-----------I can all but guarantee that said kid will be deported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration