Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:12 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Because to recognize this you would have to acknowledge that there is racism and a caste system based on skin color in Mexico and everyone knows that no one except Americans can be racist.
That's true, remember that postage stamp that Mexico had a couple of years back. Memin Pinguin. It's with this kind of racist view that the "indigenous Mexican" comes to the USA and claims to be white, unless it's for affirmative action purposes and aid money. They also tend to look down on black Americans.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:34 AM

291 posts, read 648,195 times
Is there in USA some type of racism among the Hispanic People toward the Afro-Americans or other races like asians?

I am surprised that many Hispanic in Texas prefer Hillary instead Obama.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:00 AM

5 posts, read 15,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
"Gringos?" Personally, I'm highly offended by that racist word. How can you expect respect when you're not giving it to begin with. (By the way, spell check is your friend)

I am so flipping tired of hearing that this land was stolen from Mexico. This land was not stolen from Mexico. Mexico owned this land for 26 years out of it's entire 231 year existence as a country. Mexico was well compensated financially for this land--the amount of money paid for the southwest in both the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo and the Gadsen Purchase in today's dollars would be in the billions. If you would reform your own corrupt government, perhaps you could start sharing in some of the wealth.

However, in the years that Mexico did own parts of the southwest, they were busy enslaving and killing off the North American Indians, whose DNA I also share. So don't get up on your high horse and start preaching about how this continent belongs to you. There is no love lost between the Native Americans of North America and the Meso American Indians or the Mestizos. My people, the Apache viewed your people with disdain. Your people, the Mexicans, paid $2.00 a pair for the ears of my people as well as paying for their scalps. So don't try to pretend a kinship that never existed and does not exist to this day.

Your people were as instrumental in the destruction of the Southwest Native American way of life as the Europeans were. At least those of European extraction will admit that the European pioneers were responsible for the destruction of the Native Americans. Your people want to pretend some sort of kinship that doesn't exist while you try to take land that never belonged to you to begin with.

Additionally, there is not now, nor has there ever been, ANY archeological or anthropological evidence that the Meso American Indians lived in the southwestern United States. Indeed, all evidence points to the contrary. My undergrad degree is in Anthropology. I'm working on my M.A. in Paleo-Indian Archeology. Unlike the general public, I cannot be buffaloed into believing your revisionist history.

So instead of leaving your own lands to escape persecution, why don't you grow some gonads and reform your own government. The American southwest does not now, nor will it ever, belong to the Meso Americans. As an American of European and Native American extraction, I am highly resentful of your attempts to revise history and historical boundries to make it so.
Just wanted to remind you that although Mexico may have been financially compensated (somewhat) we still were persecuted heavily. In fact many thousands upon thousands were killed and the numbers whom were murdered is believed to be similar to the persecution taken place against African Americans. I don't claim to be a history major but I am a sociology major and we study people and the groups (ethnicities, race) they belong to which also includes past/present interaction among races.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecall View Post
Well you just have 3 posts so probably we will not see you back here. You shoot and run (not surpised at all BTW ) still, I'd like to reply saying that if anybody stole your land, those were spaniards; those who control mexico now and abuse from indians exporting them to US like if they were prairie dogs; Then, Spaniards lost this land in a war; plain and fair, they lost; they were not strong enough; war is war. If you would like your land back, I think mexicans should act a little bit as men and declare war; let's see who win. At the end, both started from the same point; nobody gave to anyone nothing. If one is stronger than the other, in any aspect, that is totally merit of its people.

In the meantime, this is the USA like it or not. English is spoken here, laws are respected and enforced here; thanks to those little details, we are not like mexico. Learn the system, understand it, assimilate it, love it. If not, leave it and go back.
Your right is saying that nobody gave anyone anything because the land was taken by a stronger nation. Why you think that is ok and dismiss the severity of that act by saying "war is war" shows a little about you. Up until that point we had peaceable lives and it fact, we as well as native americans couldn't believe that people could behave so "animal like" over some land. "The conquer and take all mentality" is spread all over the world but it just means that we will have more struggle and endless battles as time goes by. But I'm sure that would be ok with you as long as we win them all right?

Old 03-18-2008, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgar View Post
Is there in USA some type of racism among the Hispanic People toward the Afro-Americans or other races like asians?

I hate to say it but yes there is that kind of racism going on here but it mainly has to do with the color of skin. Hispanics tend to look more highly upon those that have a lighter skin color and the same goes for the opposite end of the spectrum. I am a Hispanic but I grew up in an area where there were mainly blacks around and in fact all of my friends were black. There is also huge tensions between hipanic and black gangs. I don't believe there is any tension with hispanics towards asians, it mainly seems to be against those of darker color skin.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgar View Post

I hate to say it but yes there is racism towards African-Americans here in the US. But there is also mutual racism. It probably isn't as strong here as it may be in Mexico but it does exist. There is also a real problem going on between black and hispanic gangs. The racism is based on skin color. In Mexico (and other countries) the lighter skin you have the better you are treated and it also goes the same way at the darker end of the spectrum.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
That's true, remember that postage stamp that Mexico had a couple of years back. Memin Pinguin. It's with this kind of racist view that the "indigenous Mexican" comes to the USA and claims to be white, unless it's for affirmative action purposes and aid money. They also tend to look down on black Americans.
You clearly are uniformed because Mexicans don't come to the US and claim to be white. We hold on to our race and at the same time conform to some of the American ways. If you want to talk about people that look down on black Americans then you need to do a history check buddy! I'm proud to be Mexican but I'm more proud to be an American because of what this great country has given me. My family has never used any aid money or needed affirmative action since we have established our own. I believe what you are doing is called "sterotyping" and I know better than to lump a few in with the majority because that would be foolish. Just like I think what you are saying is foolish but I'm not going to stereotype all white people according to what you are saying.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:08 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bic C View Post
You clearly are uniformed because Mexicans don't come to the US and claim to be white. We hold on to our race and at the same time conform to some of the American ways. If you want to talk about people that look down on black Americans then you need to do a history check buddy! I'm proud to be Mexican but I'm more proud to be an American because of what this great country has given me. My family has never used any aid money or needed affirmative action since we have established our own. I believe what you are doing is called "sterotyping" and I know better than to lump a few in with the majority because that would be foolish. Just like I think what you are saying is foolish but I'm not going to stereotype all white people according to what you are saying.
There is no such thing as a Mexican 'race'------despite what MEChA and their ilk may claim.

Why is say that is looking at the Mexican telenovelas; the leading actors tend to be of Danish, German, English, Spanish, etc. heritage (read that 'White') whereas the so-called 'hired help' (maids, etc.) are more usually Mestizo-------AKA stereotypically 'Hispanic'

The standard of beauty in both Spain and Latin America is white skin and blue eyes.

I know if I were Latino; I would be both hurt and offended by said stereotypes in my own culture.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:18 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bic C View Post
Just wanted to remind you that although Mexico may have been financially compensated (somewhat) we still were persecuted heavily. In fact many thousands upon thousands were killed and the numbers whom were murdered is believed to be similar to the persecution taken place against African Americans. I don't claim to be a history major but I am a sociology major and we study people and the groups (ethnicities, race) they belong to which also includes past/present interaction among races.
Several other countries/cultures within our grandparents' lifetimes suffered much more severely that Mexico back in 1848 yet today are socio-economic powerhouses.

Germany and Japan were on the losing side of WW II and, needless to say, suffered ghastly losses both human and physical.

And; there are the Jewish people (of any ethnicity) who died in the Holocaust------about one Jew in 4.

Hell; for that matter, Guatemala, etc. were also part of Mexico after 1821 yet I hear little rhetoric about Mx wanting that land 'back'.

If I were Mexico; I would be deathly afraid of a civil way occurring between the relatively affluent northern states (Nuevo Leon, etc.) and the poor south (Chiapas, etc). If such were to happen, I strongly suspect that NL would petition to join the USA.

I could on and on; but, Mexico has little or no claim to our Southwest.

Never mind the fact that the Navajo, etc. may also have a problem with Mexican domination------and, they were here in the New World before the Spanish.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:17 AM

46 posts, read 104,306 times
I'm part native american from a federally recognized tribe in the USA. I have no right to saunter across the border and claim Mexican land as my birthrate as a mestizo. The reason is because if I am using a race based argument for land than I have to restrict that to the land via the tribe I come from. Mexican (70% of whom are meztiso) demanding land be seceded to Mexico away from whites and the USA because of a connection via a tribe in Mexico NOT the USA are very confused people. I don't think you should let them confuse you too. Especially given the level of animosity that existed into antiquity between the Mexica (and later the Mexicans) and the tribes in this country. I mean in California alone the Spanish-Mexican invasion resulted in the deaths of up to 70% of the entire state's amer-indian population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZARKSTAR View Post
As a Cherokee Native I am deeply offended by the original poster. If the mexicans are mixed with native americans (mexico is also in north america by the way) is because they are also part our family, they share our indian blood!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration