Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:07 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,064,233 times

Advertisements

This guy is not gonna go anywhere. At least Sarah Palin can still have some hispanic votes(cuban/colombian) and she was not known for making racist remarks against blacks, just dumb remarks during interviews. This guy will never get the Cuban or the black vote.

His political career is over, nobody will dare to sponsor him after the cotton remarks. He can work for fox or continue his radio show, but politically he has no future, he could support someone else, someone younger and more eloquent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 09:30 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,179,111 times
A common phrase when someone asks what you're doing is "Not a cotton pickin' thing." There is no racial intent in the phrase.

As for 'redneck,' it originally meant a farmer, due to the fact that the backs of their necks were red from working in the sun all day. It wasn't a derogatory term until some started using it to describe people they considered 'beneath' them. Most recently it's been used against people to insinuate that they're racist.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:57 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
This guy is not gonna go anywhere. At least Sarah Palin can still have some hispanic votes(cuban/colombian) and she was not known for making racist remarks against blacks, just dumb remarks during interviews. This guy will never get the Cuban or the black vote.

His political career is over, nobody will dare to sponsor him after the cotton remarks. He can work for fox or continue his radio show, but politically he has no future, he could support someone else, someone younger and more eloquent.
Please share some of the racist remarks he made against blacks. Apparently I missed them. And, please don’t include this inane “cotton pickin” on the list. I have used the phrase myself on occasion, and it means nothing. It’s similar to using the word “damn” as in, “I’m not going to do a cotton pickin thing for that ingrate.” You pro-illegals try to make everything an issue of racism.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:34 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
If calling a black person "cotton picking" anything isn't racist, I don't what is in 2009.

Seriously?

Your ignorance of the meaning when said, is amazing.
You really are not American, are you?

Old 11-16-2009, 01:48 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,046,496 times
Quote:

I agree with you. With the kind of racist history that he made for himself, there is no way, no chance he will get elected into office.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:01 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,046,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Please share some of the racist remarks he made against blacks. Apparently I missed them. And, please don’t include this inane “cotton pickin” on the list. I have used the phrase myself on occasion, and it means nothing. It’s similar to using the word “damn” as in, “I’m not going to do a cotton pickin thing for that ingrate.” You pro-illegals try to make everything an issue of racism.
I cant speak for every Black person but I can tell you that in my circle of friends it was discussed and they feel strongly against those words. It could be one of those words where people of the same ethnicity are divided like I know Latinos have some as well.

One of my friends said to me that,
Quote:
in order to understand "a cotton picking mind", you would need to dig deeper into the history and roots of Blacks in America.
I dont think we can equate for example, the origins of the word "picnic" whos definition has evolved with the phrase "cotton picking" that is a more direct insult... a euphemism, imo.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:17 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I cant speak for every Black person but I can tell you that in my circle of friends it was discussed and they feel strongly against those words. It could be one of those words where people of the same ethnicity are divided like I know Latinos have some as well.

I dont think we can equate for example, the origins of the word "picnic" whos definition has evolved with the phrase "cotton picking" that is a more direct insult... a euphemism, imo.
The word “picnic” did not originate from cotton picking. It originated from the practice of lynching blacks. They would “pick” a “nig” to lynch, and all of the local folks would bring food and gather to enjoy the festivities. The black men hanging from trees created the ideal ambiance for a Saturday afternoon filled with food, and family “fun.” I would post a photo of such festivities, but for obvious reasons, it is much too painful to view.

For this reason, I prefer the term “cookout.” However, I realize the word picnic no longer has the same connotation. As such, when I am invited to a picnic by a white person, I am not offended.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:18 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post

FYI: Benicar is Black herself.

And in all fairness; I have heard several 'Mexican' Americans use wet back to describe illegal aliens-----------in a non joking way.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:58 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:

How many cotton picking times do the "cotton picking" remarks have to be explained to you before you get it? If you watched the video you would know there was no racial intent!

Last edited by chicagonut; 11-16-2009 at 07:09 AM..

Old 11-16-2009, 07:01 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,627 times
If he runs for an office that I can vote on, he's got my vote hands down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration