Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 09:07 AM

50,510 posts, read 47,293,962 times

Advertisements

Proof why we need more fence, more Border Patrol, ICE and work place raids. So long as we have a ridiculous policy that allows instant citizenship we need strong arm enforcement.

The tax payers are taking a beating with the current system of social services being plundered by Illegals and their offspring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 09:11 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,566,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I don't think any of us are advocating "tossing out citizens" but their parents are subject to deportation and since the claim is that Latinos are family oriented they should take their children with them back to their homeland. Mexico acknowledges dual citizenship so that shouldn't be a problem. When the U.S. born child becomes 18 they can decide which country they want to live in.

We do need to press legislation to re-interpret the birthright citizenship amendment to be more sensible like the rest of the world and as it was intended by those who wrote it. At least one parent should have to be a citizen in order for their newborn to gain instant citizenship. It should be retroactive but I think we all know it won't be so I would settle for future births from the time it is re-interpreted by the Supreme Court.

"Tossing out citizens" is exactly what you're proposing because they ARE citizens under the law and entitled to all the Constitutional protections the rest of us are. You simply cannot deny them their Constitutional rights without denying the rest of us ours too and I dare say not many would want that.

So Mexico recognizes dual citizenship. What about Columbia or Nicaragua or Brazil or Israel or Pakistan or Bangladesh? Or, for that matter, Canada or the UK? Would involuntarily exiling an American citizen for the sake of the "family" be agreeable for all people from all nations, or would it just apply to Mexico?

Not to mention, of course, that there are thousands, if not millions, of citizens born here of parents who didn't come from Mexico and millions more who are descendants of immigrants from every other nation on earth, including you and I. Where's the cut off? When they're babies, or could it include the grandchildren and great-grandchildren of illegal immigrants? Before you answer, I would remind you that for most of our history, there were NO restrictions on who could come here and under what circumstances. If someone wanted to come to America, all they had to do was show up. Millions could be deemed as "illegal" because there was no defintion of "legal" back then.

And changing the definition of a citizen would entail a Constitutional amendment. Congress cannot do it by itself and neither could be ex post facto (before the fact).

But, the larger question is whether or not we would actually WANT to redefine citizenship for all time just because we don't want this current generation of innocent children here? Is America to become the land of opportunity for a select few, or just for those we happen to like?

Old 01-01-2010, 09:13 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,594,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Neither are babies born to US dipolmats in foreign countries. That's a different issue which is settled by jointly beneficial treaties and not a precedent for expelling US citizens from the nation of their birth.

As for a Supreme Court decision? Based upon what? What precedent could the Court cite to justify expelling a citizen innocent of any crime except birth? And, are you that supportive of so-called "judicial activism," because that's exactly what it would be?
Do you also condone the practice of foreigners entering this country for the expressed purpose of giving birth to a U.S. citizen -- to avail themselves of our benefits? Such people have no allegiance to this country.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
All the more reason to modify the 14th. This ridiculous loophole is hurting the US tax payers more than any tax on the books to date.

Just think about it. Someone pregnant sprints across the border at San Ysidro, walks into the closest ER and POOF instant American. What a flipping joke, to the point of mockery.
Why is that a joke? Didn't all of us here gain our citizenship the same way?

My forebears came here univited and without any controls at all back in the 1620's. In other words, they were "illegals," why should I get to stay under such an idea? We've now had several generations of "anchor" babies and, if that process were to be deemed grounds for denying citizenship, why would it not apply to all their offspring, including you?

Old 01-01-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So? That still shouldn't entitle them to welfare handouts.

Welfare handouts should be based on legal citizen parents' income.

Why? You do know, don't you, that the Constitution makes a very clear distinction between citizens and persons, don't you? Illegal's may not be citizens, but they are persons and still entitled to certain protections. You may not like it, but it IS in the Constitution.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
"Tossing out citizens" is exactly what you're proposing because they ARE citizens under the law and entitled to all the Constitutional protections the rest of us are. You simply cannot deny them their Constitutional rights without denying the rest of us ours too and I dare say not many would want that.

So Mexico recognizes dual citizenship. What about Columbia or Nicaragua or Brazil or Israel or Pakistan or Bangladesh? Or, for that matter, Canada or the UK? Would involuntarily exiling an American citizen for the sake of the "family" be agreeable for all people from all nations, or would it just apply to Mexico?

Not to mention, of course, that there are thousands, if not millions, of citizens born here of parents who didn't come from Mexico and millions more who are descendants of immigrants from every other nation on earth, including you and I. Where's the cut off? When they're babies, or could it include the grandchildren and great-grandchildren of illegal immigrants? Before you answer, I would remind you that for most of our history, there were NO restrictions on who could come here and under what circumstances. If someone wanted to come to America, all they had to do was show up. Millions could be deemed as "illegal" because there was no defintion of "legal" back then.

And changing the definition of a citizen would entail a Constitutional amendment. Congress cannot do it by itself and neither could be ex post facto (before the fact).

But, the larger question is whether or not we would actually WANT to redefine citizenship for all time just because we don't want this current generation of innocent children here? Is America to become the land of opportunity for a select few, or just for those we happen to like?
We wouldn’t need to “redefine” the 14th Amendment. We would only need to interpret it as the framers intended. The purpose of the amendment was to ensure citizenship to the offspring of freed slaves; not to allow foreigners who have no legal presence, and certainly no allegiance, to exploit their children and the taxpayers of this country.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Why is that a joke? Didn't all of us here gain our citizenship the same way?

My forebears came here univited and without any controls at all back in the 1620's. In other words, they were "illegals," why should I get to stay under such an idea? We've now had several generations of "anchor" babies and, if that process were to be deemed grounds for denying citizenship, why would it not apply to all their offspring, including you?
What immigration laws in the 1620’s did your ancestors violate?

Old 01-01-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't feel bad for them at all. My American kids aren't growing up on food stamps or welfare handouts, and why should the children of illegal foreigners think they should?

Even wanting food stamps, Medicaid, welfare and other handouts proves they aren't coming here just to work, to do the hard labor cheap wage jobs Americans don't want to do, many are coming for the handouts.

How many illegals to you know? How many of them are working? Among the ones I know, ALL of them are working as much as they can.

Yes, some are receiving some form of public assisstance, most usually in terms of taxpayer funded health care at the local charity hospitals. But, there are plenty of citizens availing themselves of that too and for the same reason; they don't have and can't afford "regular" health care. Additionally, there are millions of citizens who are either unemployed or under-employed who get food stamps or whatever too. Should they be denied such help? Why not? That costs us too.

But, in spite of that, here's a question for you:

Would you REALLY want illegal immigrants and their children tossed out of their housing and literally starving to death in the streets right in front of you? Would you want them denied treatment for communicable diseases? Would you want their children lounging around the neighborhood all day because they can't go to school?

What do think would happen if that became the reality? They'd go home? Or, would they stay here because they had no other option and we'd all get to live with a horrendous increase in the crime rate as starving people did what they had to do to survive, just as you would do in a similar situation?

Old 01-01-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Do you also condone the practice of foreigners entering this country for the expressed purpose of giving birth to a U.S. citizen -- to avail themselves of our benefits? Such people have no allegiance to this country.

No, of course not, but I don't think that's as big a problem as people suspect. Sure, it happens, but most come here for the work and opportunity, just as did our fore fathers.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
No, of course not, but I don't think that's as big a problem as people suspect. Sure, it happens, but most come here for the work and opportunity, just as did our fore fathers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoghLfV4bqU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lclcF...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpPW5C1LciM

Quote:
And, according to *Nordia Bennett, who had her daughter in Florida two years ago, the system of guaranteeing citizenship runs like a "black market drug operation" - involving doctors, family overseas and a wealth of planning to ensure its success.
American Citizenship Part Of 'Birth Tourism' Black Market For Pregnant Foreign Women : Diggers Realm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration