Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:00 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,545,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I just keep it real about this issue because it really is simple (on the street-level and in the workforce, social services and in other sectors), but the government doesn't seem to know what to do. I've got tons of stories involving illegal immigration because I am in one of those areas and have worked with illegal immigrants. Some were people that I was cool with (that's why they would talk about it) and some I just had as associates, but the things I have heard and learned ... man. I'm thinking about reporting some of those businesses because they knew that these people are illegal immigrants and the reason I want to do that is because I know people who are out of work. The fact that they can't find a job, but those who are working illegally are getting $500 a week is on my heart sometimes when I think about what I should do. They would brag about their money too, the illegal immigrants would and their food stamps because they had children here.
I hear ya! I lived on the west side of Phoenix (AZ) for 30 years. I can relate my own stories about illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 01:01 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,314,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
So this thread was started so that the pro illegal apologiser/sympathiser thread starter with an agenda could provide non sensical propagandistic answers for all of the countless reasons for anti illegal sentiment?
Agree, especially the bolded.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:08 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,597,511 times
Quote:
I'm just saying man, they really amaze me with their justification and relaxed attitude against illegal immigration. It is simply ... amazing. I swear, I get this feeling that a lot of people who are so relaxed and accepting of what they think is illegal immigration have never had any experience with illegal immigration. They have never been wronged or discriminated against at the benefit of an illegal immigrant or a population of illegal immigrants. They also come off as not having any knowledge of the legalities and justice systems involved that should be in favor of the US citizen, legal resident or the worker. I am in the position of knowing who is illegal. I have been told by illegal immigrants that they are illegal and shown that they are illegal. I have worked in workplaces that knew their employees were illegal. So, when I read some of the comical pleads to accept illegal immigration and to "just leave them alone," I have to shake my head and laugh. How old are these people who say these things? Do they not care about their future? Have they ever even had experience with illegal immigration? They're so quick to act like we are just being mean, ... it's bigger than just being mean ... we are talking about life here, future, economy, jobs, real estate, career, being forced to alter one's life unnecessarily, education, safety, quality of life, rights, justice. That's what it is about and if the people have to be considered mean or whatever as they are concerned with the disruption of those things listed above then so be it. I'd rather be mislabeled as something than not do or say anything because I am afraid of being mislabeled and then the years roll along and we look at where we are and say, "What ... the ... hell ... happened?" You got to be intuitive visionary, and see what is going on. We see what is going on with illegal immigration, the way some politicians and government entities are walking that road and we, as citizens and legal residents, are going to do our part and speak out.
It is probably just a figure of speech, but I am female.

I know my motives for opposing illegal immigration, and they have no racial or ethnic basis whatsoever. Therefore, when I am accused of being a racist, xenophobe, or nativist, it really doesn’t bother me. I have no control over the perception of others. I can only control my response.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
My mom was almost illegal once. It almost destroyed my family. We were living in Saudi Arabia and visiting family in the states. My mom was not American, she had her green card but was an Ivorian national. The consulate lost her paperwork. Thus, she was almost stuck in the US...but we lived in Saudi. Fortunately after much hard work, my dad got the situation taken care of.

My point in this is that it's not always black and white. That really its shades of gray. Some illegal immigrants don't have the means to enter legally. Some do.

If we look at the larger global economic structure, the situation of illegal immigration becomes more nebulous stil...
You're dreaming man. You have to take into consideration what is happening to legal immigrants, legal residents and US citizens. You have no right and are in no position to co-sign illegal immigration like this. Do you not realize what illegal immigration is doing to groups of people across the US? Do you even know what is really going on before you can co-sign and say the things you've said in this thread that attempt to make illegal immigration look less bad?

You're trying so hard to come off as understanding the illegal immigration issue that you forget to check in on the way it affects US citizens and legal residents. Why don't you do some serious research on that and then come back and talk to us?

Old 01-11-2010, 01:09 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,345,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
it is not hard for me to believe that some people are opposed to illegals not because they are hispanic but because of the problems that come with illegal immigration. the problem I see in these threads that some posters use the problems as an excuse to downgrade most of the hispanic population in the US as being illegal and that hearing spanish spoken is another indication the they are here illegally which is ridicoulus at best. this type of thinking is bigotry. everyone is entitled to their feeling even if they are bigoted.
this type of thinking does nothing except promote hatred. it does not contribute to a real discussion of the issues only allows for like minded people to agree. I would rather see real reason/problems against something them superfical ones. like posts about obama there are many that have nothing to do with his policies only that he is obama. these threads are filled with the same objections.
as you said it is not fair and paints good people with a bad brush.
Your clue here is "some" so why dwell on the "some" rather than what the majority of anti-illegals think and feel? I do not hate law abiding Hispanics but I do object to illegals of every kind and their supporters and apologists. Much of this sentiment is based on ethnocentricism by Hispanic citizens. It is just plain wrong to put illegal foreigners above the laws of this country just because they are ethnically like yourself.

Again, I don't automatically think that a Hispanic is here illegally because they are speaking Spanish because I already know that far too many of the legal/citizen ones refuse to make English their primary language of usage no matter how long they have been here. There is nothing bigoted about pointing out all of these facts.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It is probably just a figure of speech, but I am female.

I know my motives for opposing illegal immigration, and they have no racial or ethnic basis whatsoever. Therefore, when I am accused of being a racist, xenophobe, or nativist, it really doesn’t bother me. I have no control over the perception of others. I can only control my response.
LOL Yea, just a figure of speech. I usually don't say that unless I'm really baffled about something. I'm just shaking my head right now, like, "Wowwww," "maaaan," ... "Really?" LOL "Maannnnnn, seriously?"

Old 01-11-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It boils down to racism and group identity. People on the decline are naturally threatened by another group of people who are more successful and are encroaching on the other's turf. The bottom line here is dictated by numbers and the natural drive to outdo the other guy.

The solution is to make peace with large scale trends that you cannot stop or control. White people just don't breed fast enough, and they will be overtaken in numbers eventually. Right, wrong or indifferent, that is the way of things to come. Better learn to speak Spanish and like burritos.
Another one?

PLEASE, whoever reads this! Everyone is not stupid and bigoted. There are people out there who are 1)knowledge about how illegal immigration is really affecting people, 2) are educated and knowledge on different realms of running a country, a state or a city and know that their huge illegal immigration populations are going to reak havoc on their area in different ways, especially if that population keeps growing, 3) are protective of their and their family's future because they know of reasons 1 and 2.

I can't believe the nerve to try and label all of us as racist. Also, why wouldn't you care when a group is cutting in on important aspects of your life? You're supposed to just lie down to illegal immigrants and let them take your services, wages and for your kids, the attention of their teacher?

Better learn to speak Spanish and like burritos? I speak Spanish and I love burritos.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
it is not hard for me to believe that some people are opposed to illegals not because they are hispanic but because of the problems that come with illegal immigration. the problem I see in these threads that some posters use the problems as an excuse to downgrade most of the hispanic population in the US as being illegal and that hearing spanish spoken is another indication the they are here illegally which is ridicoulus at best. this type of thinking is bigotry. everyone is entitled to their feeling even if they are bigoted.
this type of thinking does nothing except promote hatred. it does not contribute to a real discussion of the issues only allows for like minded people to agree. I would rather see real reason/problems against something them superfical ones. like posts about obama there are many that have nothing to do with his policies only that he is obama. these threads are filled with the same objections.
as you said it is not fair and paints good people with a bad brush.
Prejudice is the unfortunate result of unabated illegal immigration. Sadly, once prejudices and stereotypes are established, they are very difficult to abate. Just ask most black men who routinely see women clutching their purse when they approach them walking down the street. It’s wrong, but it’s a fact of life.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Another one?

PLEASE, whoever reads this! Everyone is not stupid and bigoted. There are people out there who are 1)knowledge about how illegal immigration is really affecting people, 2) are educated and knowledge on different realms of running a country, a state or a city and know that their huge illegal immigration populations are going to reak havoc on their area in different ways, especially if that population keeps growing, 3) are protective of their and their family's future because they know of reasons 1 and 2.

I can't believe the nerve to try and label all of us as racist. Also, why wouldn't you care when a group is cutting in on important aspects of your life? You're supposed to just lie down to illegal immigrants and let them take your services, wages and for your kids, the attention of their teacher?

Better learn to speak Spanish and like burritos? I speak Spanish and I love burritos.
Expect them to start coming out of the woodwork the more desperate they become. That type of rhetoric supports the existence of the reconquista movement many pro-illegals continue to deny.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:24 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,345,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It boils down to racism and group identity. People on the decline are naturally threatened by another group of people who are more successful and are encroaching on the other's turf. The bottom line here is dictated by numbers and the natural drive to outdo the other guy.

The solution is to make peace with large scale trends that you cannot stop or control. White people just don't breed fast enough, and they will be overtaken in numbers eventually. Right, wrong or indifferent, that is the way of things to come. Better learn to speak Spanish and like burritos.
Yes, and the racism and group identity are on the part of the ethnocentrics and their illegal counterparts. Let me ask you this. How would Mexicans in Mexico feel about millions of anglos illegally invading their country sucking up their benefits, changing their culture and language and outbreeding them?

White people don't breed fast enough? You mean that most don't breed themselves into poverty with no thought as to how they will care for these many kids? Whites are breeding at replacement levels. I don't see the human race becoming extinct in this country anytime soon because of supposed low breeding levels of white people.

Oh yes, we can stop and control illegal immigration. It is not a natural phenomenom and it is against the law. You're fantasy of a Hispanic utopia in this country is just that.

Nice, that you speak with such glee over the dilution of a particular race by unnatural and illegal means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration