Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:13 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Hitler was the first leader to ban smoking, maybe that should tell you something.
What should it tell us? Will Blago start setting up concentration camps and gas chambers? Seriously, bringing up the Nazis is not a helpful comparison, you should stop.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:16 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
What should it tell us? Will Blago start setting up concentration camps and gas chambers? Seriously, bringing up the Nazis is not a helpful comparison, you should stop.
Whatever. Maybe you should stop arguing with everyone that favors the concept of non-smoking bars and smoking bars existing at the same time.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:30 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times
Quote:
Whatever. Maybe you should stop arguing with everyone that favors the concept of non-smoking bars and smoking bars existing at the same time.
You must be confusing me with someone else, because I never actually said that I agreed without an outright ban of smoking. I've said that I don't like smoking and that the ban is not a big deal, but I never advocated for the ban.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:28 PM

287 posts, read 350,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boris63 View Post
So you're saying the state should violate the property rights of thousands of business owners so you won't have to argue with your friends about weather to drink in a smoking, or non-smoking bar?!

maybe you should just find some new people to drink with!
Nope, because the law is on my side Thanks for the suggestion though.
(I win).

Old 01-19-2008, 10:32 PM

287 posts, read 350,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesprawlpath View Post
Work places are building smoking shelters now.At thier cost.Smokers walk off the job when they need a smoke,to go outside.Figure 5 minutes a cigarette,maybe 10 a day at work(conservative).That's 50 minutes to an hour a day scewing off outside.In a large plant multiply that by hundreds of employees.That's going to cost businesses a ton.When are non-smokers going to insist that they get shelters too and 50 minutes outside to just hang out while the smokers get thier fix.We are turning into a nation of whining panzies.Government,Butt out! Everybody else, shut up and get back to work!If you don't like your job,find another one.If you don't like the bar or restaurant,find another one.The only smoking ban that should be in effect is for public places that you don't have a choice to be there or not.Post Offices,Hospitals,Airports,Bus Stations,etc... .Anywhere else is just to satisfy whiners. I am a non-smoker.Light up guys,It's OK by me.
Oh, it's okay by you? Well, I repeal my opinion then!

Hey, you know what I heard on the radio the other day? A lot of employers are now completely banning smoking. PERIOD. For all the reasons you mentioned. So maybe that's the next step.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:37 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojojohnson76 View Post
Oh, it's okay by you? Well, I repeal my opinion then!

Hey, you know what I heard on the radio the other day? A lot of employers are now completely banning smoking. PERIOD. For all the reasons you mentioned. So maybe that's the next step.
If you are talking about banning an employee from smoking in his or her personal time, those companies are in for some nice lawsuits then. There is a specific law that deems an action like that illegal in Illinois.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:51 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
If you are talking about banning an employee from smoking in his or her personal time, those companies are in for some nice lawsuits then. There is a specific law that deems an action like that illegal in Illinois.
In Az, companies can refuse to hire someone who smokes.

This right has been litigated and affirmed by the Arizona Courts

Old 01-20-2008, 08:06 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,872,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Total ban, everywhere including your home. Abolish smoking period. As in do not make it and do not sell it. Do not grow it. Soon the helplessly addicted will be weened off and no one will ever complain ever again.
I agree with you. Outlawing drugs is an effective and proven method of getting rid of drug use and it is known not to cause any additional problems as well. I remember hearing about how Prohibition completely got rid of all alcohol in the United States and how it didn't create any black markets and encourage gang and organized crime activity, but for some unknown reason the politicians decided to repeal.

Some drugs that are also extremely rare (due to them being illegal) are called "marijuana", "cocaine", and "heroin". I never knew these things existed until just a few days ago. Once they were outlawed in the 1920s and 1930s they completely disappeared and are impossible to buy. I can only thank politicians all over the world for outlawing these chemicals and plants because if it weren't for them, our inner cities might be infested with gangs selling these chemicals to the millions of people who insist on using "drugs", but they don't because they are illegal.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:18 AM

77 posts, read 188,098 times
Quote:
Nope, because the law is on my side Thanks for the suggestion though.
(I win).
That's part of the problem. Selfishness. People don't give a d*mn, if the law is right or wrong, just as long as they come out on top.

It's that all about "me" attitude that really tics me off!

Old 01-20-2008, 11:36 AM

52 posts, read 190,638 times
Quote:

That's the whole point.You don't need government sticking thier nose in it.Businesses can make that decision all by themselves.So can every adult American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois