Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2021, 10:53 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Canaan-84, very good point! Thank you.

And thank you for sharing a POSITIVE comment on Chicago, coming from someone in Texas!

Good looking out, Sir!
No problem, though I’m originally from Chicago. I lived there for over 20 years and do plan to move back sometime next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 01:25 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
There are many reasons we left Illinois (Chicago burbs) in 2003 for cheaper pastures. At the top of our list was snow, followed by taxes and the high cost of living. Both adults were smokers and it became a tax we were unwilling to pay so I drove to Indiana every few weeks to buy smokes. In the years that we have been in South Carolina, the taxes on our home in Bridgeview have more than tripled and that is a price we would not have been able to afford. Thankfully we saw the writing on the wall, so to speak, and got out before it really exploded. Our home in Bridgeview sold in 1 day! Finding gainful employment here was difficult but we survived. The taxes on our home here in SC is less than we ever paid on our homes in Chicago or Bridgeview, and it's a nicer, newer home than either. Having turned 60 last year, there is no way we would have survived Illinois' taxes.

Old 10-16-2021, 10:03 AM

5 posts, read 5,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
The crime is Chicago is exaggerated, it’s mostly certain areas of the city (mostly the south), the numbers there are huge, so it skews the numbers negatively for the city. However, even then Chicago doesn’t even make the top 72 most dangerous cities in the U.S., yet so many seem to believe it’s one of the top 5 most dangerous.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
This is a common myth repeated in some circles. The absolute violent crime rate in Chicago is staggering. It's almost as bad as Juarez-Ciudad and other third world murder sites. I mean, yes, if you compare Chicago's per capita violent crime rate including the millions of people living in massive suburban sprawl, to the per capita suicide rate ("violence") in Nome, Alaska...it looks better on paper. But that's playing with numbers dishonestly.

The old argument used to be "It's only in some parts of the city." Well, for one, I'm not sure bragging about Rio style segregation between wealthy safe areas and poor violent areas is a good thing? But that's not even true anymore - there's violent crime spilling out into the South Loop and even the Gold Coast. It's not Detroit levels yet but you're definitely statistically more likely to get assaulted than you were a few years ago.

This myth really needs to die. Chicago has a problem. Ten, twenty, thirty people getting shot on any given Saturday or any day it's over 50 degrees - this is not normal.

That teacher who got shot by gang crossfire driving on 94? That's insane.

If you live in an expensive, isolated, or gentrified area, maybe you're not seeing it, but I find it weird that some people need to downplay the reality that affects so many others.

Last edited by chicago_expat; 10-16-2021 at 10:26 AM..

Old 10-19-2021, 12:06 PM

249 posts, read 182,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago_expat View Post
This is a common myth repeated in some circles. The absolute violent crime rate in Chicago is staggering. It's almost as bad as Juarez-Ciudad and other third world murder sites. I mean, yes, if you compare Chicago's per capita violent crime rate including the millions of people living in massive suburban sprawl, to the per capita suicide rate ("violence") in Nome, Alaska...it looks better on paper. But that's playing with numbers dishonestly.

The old argument used to be "It's only in some parts of the city." Well, for one, I'm not sure bragging about Rio style segregation between wealthy safe areas and poor violent areas is a good thing? But that's not even true anymore - there's violent crime spilling out into the South Loop and even the Gold Coast. It's not Detroit levels yet but you're definitely statistically more likely to get assaulted than you were a few years ago.

This myth really needs to die. Chicago has a problem. Ten, twenty, thirty people getting shot on any given Saturday or any day it's over 50 degrees - this is not normal.

If you live in an expensive, isolated, or gentrified area, maybe you're not seeing it, but I find it weird that some people need to downplay the reality that affects so many others.
That's the American way. Not just in Chicago but the entire nation. Rich people don't want to live with middle class, middle class don't want to live with the poor. This is in every city not just Chicago.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:17 PM

18 posts, read 26,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago_expat View Post

Yes, I was in a collar suburb (recently moved to NW IN) and it was really disturbing (and annoying) how many people tried to downplay and minimize the increase in crime - "it happens everywhere." Weekly shootings, daily carjackings, etc. No, it does not. It happens in cook county where they aren't getting prosecuted.

To the original question on this thread, if our taxes were in half (they doubled in the 13 years we were in our house), we may have stayed, however, the increase in crime, sub-par high school in our district, and mobility by being able to work remote led us out of IL.

Old 12-27-2021, 01:58 PM

6 posts, read 6,745 times
We recently moved here from Florida and are happy here so far. Our property taxes were only slightly lower in Broward. In Broward, we had to live in an expensive gated community so our kids could go to halfway decent school (there were constant special assessments that pushed our HOA up and up). Maybe states like Florida are good for those who have retired or don’t have kids. As a teacher who taught in Florida, I would say that there is a cost to low taxes that is being shouldered by the children. They pay teachers there shockingly little (and are willing to put just about anyone in the classroom). While I’m concerned about Illinois’ finances and taxes, I’m happy that my taxes are going to pay teachers a decent salary and that my kids are receiving a good education (with extras such as art class, gymnasiums in the elementary schools, etc). I taught in Tennessee and Texas early in my career and found the same thing—there is a cost to living on a state with lower taxes. And it almost always costs the kids.

Old 12-27-2021, 02:35 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,008,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisejaffre View Post
We recently moved here from Florida and are happy here so far. Our property taxes were only slightly lower in Broward. In Broward, we had to live in an expensive gated community so our kids could go to halfway decent school (there were constant special assessments that pushed our HOA up and up). Maybe states like Florida are good for those who have retired or don’t have kids. As a teacher who taught in Florida, I would say that there is a cost to low taxes that is being shouldered by the children. They pay teachers there shockingly little (and are willing to put just about anyone in the classroom). While I’m concerned about Illinois’ finances and taxes, I’m happy that my taxes are going to pay teachers a decent salary and that my kids are receiving a good education (with extras such as art class, gymnasiums in the elementary schools, etc). I taught in Tennessee and Texas early in my career and found the same thing—there is a cost to living on a state with lower taxes. And it almost always costs the kids.
Report back in a few years and let us know if the education has improved as much as your taxes have increased.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:03 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Helpful little website for people on this thread.

https://www.facebook.com/escapingillinois

Old 12-28-2021, 12:10 PM

74 posts, read 67,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbmama View Post
Yes, I was in a collar suburb (recently moved to NW IN) and it was really disturbing (and annoying) how many people tried to downplay and minimize the increase in crime - "it happens everywhere." Weekly shootings, daily carjackings, etc. No, it does not. It happens in cook county where they aren't getting prosecuted.

To the original question on this thread, if our taxes were in half (they doubled in the 13 years we were in our house), we may have stayed, however, the increase in crime, sub-par high school in our district, and mobility by being able to work remote led us out of IL.

Seems to be the strategy of most online forums these days including here. Just lock any discussions about crimes and try to push some "positive vibes only" crap. Oh and be sure to ban/remove any news sources that provide crime details too, if we have to discuss crime make sure its suuuuuuper vague and ambiguous. Crime happens everywhere, just pretend that its ok for it to happen in your neighborhood *wink wink*. Oh and we'll remove crime stats, school stats, employment stats and just about anything else from house hunting websites in an attempt to smooth over the rough areas and try to trick people into moving there .

Old 12-28-2021, 01:33 PM

663 posts, read 306,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencheese View Post
Seems to be the strategy of most online forums these days including here. Just lock any discussions about crimes and try to push some "positive vibes only" crap. Oh and be sure to ban/remove any news sources that provide crime details too, if we have to discuss crime make sure its suuuuuuper vague and ambiguous. Crime happens everywhere, just pretend that its ok for it to happen in your neighborhood *wink wink*. Oh and we'll remove crime stats, school stats, employment stats and just about anything else from house hunting websites in an attempt to smooth over the rough areas and try to trick people into moving there.
You now have a thread always on top in the Chicago forum (created by the mod) FOR CRIME TO -
Vent
Resent
Attack
Bury
Label
Diss
Hate
Sprew - meaning "to say ugly or hateful things,"
Ect.

ON CHICAGO even with venom and ill intent. Just no personal attacks as usual. The city terrible and crime yes and even attacking politicians etc.

Apparently, some missed the threads also created on Chicago crime and taxes and politicians over weeks now. In the Politics forum. You can freely create some new threads there too. Robert9 found a home there.

So if YOU feel you cannot do the above Crime comments in other IL forums. USE the below thread DAILY and as NEEDED. THE BELOW "CHICAGO CRIME" Thread - created for you by the mod.

You now have your freedom of speech to vent on Chicago there and post crimes and incidents and how you are happy to have moved away. BUT STILL HAVE BAGGAGE EATING AT YOU and RESENTMENT NEEDING RELEASE.

The Crime thread for Chicago. I am sure Chicagoland and IL crime would be welcome too and some added opinions of Chicago a awful city and such. Others have found it now you can now. You're Welcome.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chic...l-crime-5.html

Hopefully then one can feel more happy where they are now and let go of the -- Baggage. over even years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois