Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 PM

7 posts, read 8,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubagirl007 View Post
I have multiple questions. If you are able to answer even one of them I would be grateful. I will place them in list order. We are moving this week from Ellicott City MD to Indy. We will be on the northwest side, about 1 mile south of Zionsville (I believe we are in Pike township?)

We have done an opposite move - we moved from Indy (I grew up in Carmel, then lived in Fishers for 10 years) to Ellicott City. I think you'll like the area, once you get to know it!

1. Has anyone dealt with Indiana Realty Partners before? We rented our house through them in May. We paid our security deposit and first month rent on the home.

No experience - hope this gets resolved!

2. Swimming - Currently I take my child to a 90 degree kids pool for her swimming lessons (it is just a mommy and me class). The entire facility is designed just for kids and kids swimming (thus the higher water temps). Is there any comparable facility in Indianapolis?

YMCA is your best bet for swim classes. I can only speak for the Y in Fishers and Nora, but they are far superior to EC, at least in that they have outdoor pools. A bit of a hike, but Carmel's new Central Park has a very nice pool and offers classes in case the Y isn't for you. For just some swimming fun, Fishers YMCA also has a fantastic outdoor water park type pool. It's a bit of a hike for you from Pike area, but I bet there are great Ys in your area as well. Also check out the water parks in Carmel and Indianapolis parks system (Sahm's Park is very nice.)

3. Shopping - I like to pick up a few items at organic stores as well as Indian stores. Do you have a Whole foods, Fresh Market, MOM's or other local organic store, and do you have an Indian grocery store?

I know there are several Indian groceries in Fishers area - I bet Carmel has some as well. Wish I knew Pike/Zionsville better, but there is a lot there. I'm guessing you can google it and find something.

4. Museums/Zoo - I saw you have a top rated children's museum and a good zoo. I was looking at pricing and I saw they have memberhips available. We were spoiled by our free Smithsonian museums and zoo in DC. Do you think the memberships would be worth it for a 19 month old? She really enjoyed the DC museum as well as the please touch museum in nearby Philadelphia.

The Children's Museum is excellent and well worth the membership. I felt it was far better than the please touch museum in Philly. I agree the Smithsonians and zoo are hard to beat!!! The Indy zoo and White River Gardens (an awesome place to take some photos of your little ones, btw) are nice, but nothing like DC. Speaking of photo locations, try the gardens of the Indianapolis Art Museum for beautiful locations to take pictures of your little ones, especially near Lilly House. Conner Prairie is also worth a membership. It is very kid friendly and they are under the leadership of a relatively new President who is doing great things there. Check out the Headless Horseman this fall, and the balloon ride. Also, if you like music, Symphony on the Prairie is a place I took my kids even when they were infants. Stake out a blanket on the hill to the right of the stage (as you look at the stage.) That's the unofficial family zone where kids run on the hills before the concert starts. Other nice family places - Eagle Creek State Park, Cool Creek Park in Westfield, Indiana State Museum (maybe for slightly older kids), Stoney Creek Farm in Noblesville is our favorite place to go in the fall for pumpkins and hay ride, Traders Point Creamery near Zionsville (fun farm tour but watch out for cow patties - my then 3 year old found out the hard way!), and excursions to Cincinnati and Chicago are pretty easy!

5. Music classes - I take our toddler to music classes on a weekly basis. She goes to Kidermusik here. Does anyone know of any Kindermusik classes in the area?

TONS of them. Try St. Luke's United Methodist - they have a wonderful preschool and kindermusik program. But there are plenty of others around. Meridian Music has some, there are independent people, and Musical Beginnings (I have a friend who teaches for them) has several locations.

6. Mom's/Parent's groups - Out here we have a local Parent's group 800 members strong that we organized activities, trips and playgroups through. We each took turns hosting various events and playgroups. What similar groups are available in Indianapolis?

Not sure about this as I grew up in the area and had a large social circle, but Google is my friend - as we've moved to EC, I've found so many things by googling.

7. Walking - I am looking for paved parks with walking trails that I could push my jogging stroller on.

You are near Carmel and they are paving trails everywhere. You'll hopefully find the same kind of trend in your area. Monon has been in the news lately with some terrible crimes, but I've always thought of the Monon as safe. Also try out the parks I mentioned.

8. Kids Gym - In the winter we take our child to an indoor gym for an hour a week. The franchise out here is "My gym". I think there is one listed on the website in Fishers, are there any similar places closer to Zionsville?

?

9. Adult Gym - Any adult gyms near the Zionsville area that offer child care services.

YMCA

10. Pediatrician - Looking for Pediatrician.

Carmel Pediatrics (136th and Meridian) isn't too far from you - they are with the St. Vincent network. I really loved them, and especially their morning phone hour where you could call a doctor before the office opened if you had a question.

Thank you for looking at my questions and answering any if you are able.

Best of luck to you! We are enjoying EC but certainly miss Indy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 12:04 PM

30 posts, read 129,053 times
Thank you Nanava! That is interesting that we switched places. Thank you for all the advice. I hope you enjoy all that EC/DC has to offer. We enjoyed living there, but we are enjoying the cheaper cost of living here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis