Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2019, 03:14 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,639,095 times

Advertisements

It is a good point that if there’s another recession soon, the fed can’t do much about it with rates so low. Still I’m not sure it’s a good time to enter the market, but I wish I was already in it (and I’d leave it there...).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 03:18 AM

106,696 posts, read 108,880,922 times
this is a mis-thought that is common .

in effect everyday , each investor is making the decision to REINVEST the money and keep it in play ..any gains are already all their own money ..there really is no difference between investing new money or leaving the old money in play .... in effect we are all buying in everyday as the new trading day starts

Old 06-08-2019, 08:29 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Freaking Fed. If they cave to Trump and start doing 0% rates again, what will be left in their toolbox when a real recession happens again?

I mean, it'll be great for me; my investments will make money and I'll refinance the mortgage... But WTF?
Actually on the news, CNBC news, Janet Yellen was blamed for not raising enough during her terms, she caved in to Obama, now the problem is left for Powell to solve.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:43 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,307,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i don't see political manipulation at all . i see a weakening economy with gdp forecasts now under 2% ... what i saw was the fed get to aggressive ... if under 3% gdp was the best we got from trillions pumped in , in my opinion the fed overshot what was needed .
I don't think the FED was aggressive enough. It was way too slow in raising rates. Problem is if the economy goes into a major downturn (which it will eventually), there is very little room for monetary policy to work. Trump should not be making comments about what the FED should and shouldn't do.

Last edited by Lizap; 06-08-2019 at 09:59 AM..

Old 06-08-2019, 09:22 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,028,155 times
if you feel the need to check your portfolio value everyday, you probably have too much money in the market.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:38 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Freaking Fed. If they cave to Trump and start doing 0% rates again, what will be left in their toolbox when a real recession happens again?

I mean, it'll be great for me; my investments will make money and I'll refinance the mortgage... But WTF?
negative interest rates. A some point they will be paying borrowers to go into debt. (An even surer sign that you shouldn't). They will call it a "finance incentive" or something stupid like that on car and home loan commercials.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:39 AM

106,696 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I don't think the FED was aggressive enough. It was way to slow in raising rates. Problem is if the economy goes into a major downturn (which it will eventually), there is very little room for monetary policy to work. Trump should not be making comments about what the FED should and shouldn't do.
well we will disagree here as far as whether the fed was to slow or not ... personally neither of us are qualified to even have an opinion on that . neither are most of the talking heads who monday morning quarterback and really don't know a fraction of what is needed to evaluate such a complex decision .

Old 06-08-2019, 10:04 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
They don't really know either half of the time (or worse). It is all educated guessing. When they raised the target rate to 2.25-2.50 in December it cratered the stock market nearly 20% and signaled them to back off. That must mean there is simply too much debt outstanding that can't be serviced with "normal" rates of 4 or 5%. Peter Schiff said it already: "they checked us into a one-way monetary roach motel by keeping rates at zero for 7 years and now essentially they are trapped."

Old 06-08-2019, 12:35 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,243,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
They don't really know either half of the time (or worse). It is all educated guessing. When they raised the target rate to 2.25-2.50 in December it cratered the stock market nearly 20% and signaled them to back off. That must mean there is simply too much debt outstanding that can't be serviced with "normal" rates of 4 or 5%. Peter Schiff said it already: "they checked us into a one-way monetary roach motel by keeping rates at zero for 7 years and now essentially they are trapped."
I think we're at the point where 4-5% is no longer "normal." That would be "high." 2-3% is now "normal."

Old 06-08-2019, 12:36 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,243,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Actually on the news, CNBC news, Janet Yellen was blamed for not raising enough during her terms, she caved in to Obama, now the problem is left for Powell to solve.
Probably true. Doesn't make it any better, though, and Powell does not look inclinced to solve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing