Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 06:19 PM

195 posts, read 214,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
You want to get away from the "S.O." and you want more money. Easy. Get a job driving a truck. Every truck on the highway has a "Help Wanted" sign on the back. Almost all of them offer full benefits. Here's one.

https://careers.swifttrans.com/drive...180708234913:s
Yes but aren't those CDL class A programs a month long? And wouldn't I have to live on my own dime for an entire month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 06:32 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,255,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Lugo View Post
Yes but aren't those CDL class A programs a month long? And wouldn't I have to live on my own dime for an entire month?
I suspect you will have to pay your way.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:39 PM

195 posts, read 214,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I suspect you will have to pay your way.
Yes, on my current wage, therein lies the problem. However, I am getting some very encoraging and uplifting advice from the people. It is certainly a lot more uplifting than going to indeed and craigslist and seeing low-paying job after low-paying job over and over again.

If anyone else has any more uplifting ideas please throw them my way.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:56 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,179,585 times
Quote:
And that would not be competing with my company? Also my resume with security is quite impressive. I have worked for Queen's Harbor (one of the most rich and prestigious communities in Jax).

I also lived in Chicago for a while and did security for a Whole Foods store in Evanstan (a rich suburb outside of Chicago) and literally a whole host of bums and drug addicts and even a huge and a very notorious group of gang members pervaded that store, and I got every single one of them out of there. That made store profits there go up 300%.

Finally, my biggest achievement is that I worked for a social club in Chicago that literally had local celebrities and also very big time cebrities that I did security for. And when I say big, I MEAN BIG: Chance the Rapper, the kid who plays Carl on the show "Shameless", and even Bruce Willis joined the party there once. I mean, with my resume makimg a base pay of $10 an hour plus my 15 to 20 hours over-time, I feel like I am getting low-balled big time.
Base pay of $10.00 an hour? Wow, that is some major BS right there. You're way better than that. Listen, a friend of mine who sells stuff on line (Ebay, Amazon, other places) wanted to become better at it, so he started watching YouTube videos about selling on line and with the information he got, he increased his pay by 3 times. It took a little while, but he did it. I'm not suggesting you sell stuff on line, but I am suggesting you go to YouTube and just enter some key words into their search engine about your industry and see what kind of videos come up. You know, stuff like "how to make money in security" or whatever. You are working way below your pay grade. Also see if you can place your resume with a recruiter or on Linked-In, or Indeed.com (job search engine). Find out what companies do special events, concerts, etc. in Jax and contact them. Also contact the Jax Jaguars organization. You have a track record. They should be happy to have you.

Here's a little inspirational article to help you:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-how-step-step

Even though this is an entrepreneurial boot camp for kids, it's for adults as well and may give you some ideas you can apply to your life. I haven't watched it yet myself, but I'm going to:
Entrepreneurship for kids – join – Bootcamp Live

You need some confidence, a good shot in the arm. Don't be afraid to go for management positions, too. A lot of managers these days in all sorts of fields of work are real boneheads. You probably could do a better job.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:08 PM

Also check out this guy, Mike Cernovich: https://www.cernovich.com/

He's got a book called Gorilla Mindset. Very motivational and he's a real decent guy. Some people make fun of him, but he's got the last laugh. He's successful and the book has helped a lot of men.

And you are right, you are looking to make money, not spend it on courses and training or fees. Fuhgeddaboudit.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:10 PM

Whoops, forget I mentioned Indeed. You're right, for the most part, it's pretty bad. But I was thinking if you posted your resume there, it might help.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:50 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,417,057 times
This thread is quite inspiring and motivating!

Old 07-08-2018, 08:51 PM

Vinny, do you have business cards? I think you can get free ones at Vistaprint. Just put "free business cards" into google and see what comes up. Get some of those. Make it real simple, just put something like "Vinny Lugo Private Security" and then your phone # and email. Give them out to everyone you meet. If nothing else, maybe you'll make some new friends in the area, which could lead to a better living situation.

Also, here on City Data, there's a forum called Work and Employment, some of the folks over there might have some tips. //www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/

Old 07-08-2018, 09:00 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,417,057 times
Quote:
1) How do I apply to work at the post office?

2) Yes, Homeland seems like a good idea given my experience and degrees. Especially a job with like TSA or something.

3) Yes I might give Amazon a shot too given that I heard that they pay like $12-13 an hour.

4) I apologize if this post comes off as depressing. It's just that I am quite good at building a resume and quite decent at interviews. It seems like I always make it to the very last interview and then BOOM someone walks in with more experience/ more education than me and I miss out. It seems like the job market is socially darwinistic these days.
Your posts are not depressing at all. Endless whining would be depressing ; you’re not blaming anyone for your problems that I see and I believe you truly want to take action.

Anyway, you can apply at USPS.com by scrolling down to “careers”.

UPS.com has 2 part time entry level positions in Jax.

Your computer skills will help you move up in both places as not everyone who applies has ever had a reason to learn the software you know.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 07-08-2018 at 09:14 PM..

Old 07-08-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
This thread is quite inspiring and motivating!
Yes, it is. And it wouldn't have happened if Vinny hadn't reached out, and I'm glad he did. It's kind of fun to crowdsource this stuff, nice change from bickering back and forth with people who pick your posts apart.

I'd also like to validate Vinny for being willing to put himself out there and ask for help. That's hard to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville