Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 10:25 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,016,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I understand what you're getting at, but sometime credit histories are decimated by forces outside of one's control (ie.. A nasty divorce, identity theft, medical issues, unfortunate life events, ect...)

Having bad credit is a far cry from making the choice to drive high on dope or alcohol, knocking over the local AM/PM market, or raping someone. Now, if the employer gave everyone the opportunity to explain the reason for their credit, I would say that's okay, but we know this is not the reality of it.
So, would it be fair to say that it's not the credit report itself, but rather how employers use the report?

As I mentioned before, I have chosen to require credit reports on all hires as a way to identify issues that have a direct relationship to job performance. Also, as I stated, I am less concern with the information as I am in the explanation of the information. Things happen in life and people get into financial trouble. When I speak to an applicant about the negative information, I’m looking a couple of things, how it happened and how they relate to it.

We can argue the validity of an employer’s reasoning and use of the report, but that won’t change the fact that too many applicants have disowned their personal responsibility of their financial problems. If you read the many post on the subject, you read over and over the issue of privacy, the none-of-your-business speech, and even it has no bearing on the person the company is hiring. These are not explanations of why the use of credit reports by employers are bad, it’s an attempt to hide from having to face the bad information, a denial that bad credit is an individual trait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 01:05 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
I see there is a tug o' war action going on. I can see both sides of the issue. I will say that to those that are unfortunate to have bad credit reporting must understand that it is current policy for many employers whether we agree or not. Those that do have such negative remarks will be handicapped until 1- you can improve the markings or 2- prove that you have learned and are doing things to improve them.

For those that are "3-4 years from retirement. This doesn't affect me". Or I improved my credit on $7.54- all that I can ask is really? really? Is this what you have to offer? What aids have you in your bucket to render? I really hope you are not staff leaders... Supervisors or co-workers like you get taking out back....

But, my bigger words are for the so called hiring managers or the "business owners". As background investigators or hiring managers, we should be more sensitive to the current economic situation and play it out as such. Posting remarks such as "if I can't trust you to watch my children, then I can't trust you to run my business" or that you will not hire someone if they can't handle their personal finances is ridiculous to post- even if that is your policy and is the way you run your business. If I am your business partner or GM and I find out that you are posting these comments on forums then we will have a talk about your tact and insensitivity. Then, that will now bring me to question your relations to treatment of lower staff members- how quick are you to go beyond your call of duty to assist them in time of need? Since it doesn't affect you and you are close to your retirement or because it's "your business, your rules", I’m sure you no longer have a dog in the fight as well..

Rather than being so insensitive to the likes of those suffering from economic struggles, make the hiring process more challenging to you. Do some work and go beyond your scope for a change. At the time of you conducting a credit check, there is a temporary offer in order anyway which means you are down to the final referred 3-5 candidates. From there, ask them to provide sound letters of recommendations from supervisors and character references. Have them submit a letter explaining what occurred that lead to their current economic state, what have they learned, and what are they doing or will do to improve themselves. If then they do not show any bit of character, fortitude, and willingness to prove themselves, then so be it. But at least you know you can sleep at night knowing you gave everyone an honest opportunity cause you yourself knows what its like to be in their shoes.

But no, that is not the way we do business. We have no dogs in fight, we managed to pick ourselves up making 7.50 an hour, and it doesn't affect us, and so on...

These, ladies and gents, are our leaders of today and tomorrow...... It’s not only your actions, but merely how you PROPERLY communicate your actions to the employees that make them understand your ways and respect you...

and to you chielgirl- Everything you post is that of someone on their way out with the typical retiree attitude-
I'm 3-4 years from retirement. This doesn't affect me.... I just hope for other's sake that you can use your experience and while observing that people are angry, you can put some programs in place to help improve the hiring conditions.
My employer knows all there is to know about my finances.
And seriously, I'm not here to make it easy on you.
I have hundreds of applicants for jobs and I'm looking for ways to eliminate candidates.
Don't give me those reasons.
And as far as making the hiring process harder on me. Absolutely not.
Why don't candidates make it easy for me; the easy ones are who I'm going to seriously consider.

Credit checks are one tool of many to use.
With the poor attitude of many posters here, what incentive would I have to hire them?
Not a one.
If people are up front about their financial problems and can provide a PLAN for getting themselves out of debt, I'm sure they wouldn't take as big a hit as those who simply whine: unfair, unfair.

If you don't want to play the game, your choices are to not apply or work low-end dead end jobs.
People voted against employee protections and when they don't have those protections they whine.
It's a problem of their own making; now they are blaming others and want others to take action on their behalf.
I don't care if the law changes, the people who are upset about it need to take action on their own behalf.

And as for my retirement - I've worked for over 40 years, I fought my own employment battles.
It's time for you to fight yours.

halfamazing, you might want to read the rest of the thread before you comment on one in a series of posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
This was by far the stupidest reasoning I have ever read on the issue.

And I agree with most of your post as well.
Reasoning - I told you that I retire soon and that this makes no difference to me.
My employer looks at my finances every year.

Your getting a job or not doesn't affect me in the least.

Last edited by chielgirl; 01-05-2013 at 01:48 AM..

Old 01-05-2013, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Its not that I don't believe in higher education I just believe that most jobs you can learn on the job and don't need to put yourself in debt. Yes a degree is useful for engineering, medicine, etc but do I need a degree for art, philosophy, etc? If you have seen most of my posts, more then anything, I am simply trying to state that student loans should not be treated so differently then other forms of unsecured debt and tuition should not be so high.

To stay on topic, why do employers need a credit check? I understand there is a personal responsibility element but there is so many variables with credit. I know in IL its illegal to run a credit check unless its for a specific job(IE. Banking) and its now illegal to ask for facebook, twitter, or whatever passwords. Its not like backgrounds were its black n white.
Why do you care what someone chooses to get a degree in?
It doesn't affect you in any way.
I hire people with a degree over people who don't have one because, at a minimum, it shows that they can complete something on their own.

I also like liberal arts degrees because it brings me a well-rounded employee.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
There are people who have paid their bills on time and otherwise kept a pristine credit history with no financial irresponsibility whatsoever. Then one day, they are out of work or suffer some other life altering setback that sends their credit history down the toilet. Should these people automatically be labeled as undesirable candidates? Absolutely not.

Likewise, the person considered so perfect or "ideal" as a candidate because he or she has a perfect credit rating may end up stealing and robbing your company blind.

If credit scores are going to be the pivitol factor in a hiring decision, then the employer should ask WHY and at least examine each on a case by case basis before jumping to unfair conclusions about an individual.
If you read the entire thread, you'd see that the employers in this thread address this issue.
You're asking (generic) me for a job.

If you read upthread you'd see that there is a correlation between financial responsibility and responsible employees.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,847,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What makes you think that I'm ashamed of where I live? I'm proud of where I live.
I guess the poster didn't read your username.

Also,he or she didnt hear Gov. Christie's speech that we get back the least in fed tax dollars,but send the most.
So yeah,Alabama does get more back in fed tax dollars.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
You want my credit report honey, then you gotta make it worth MY while.

Why should I give it to you? What are you going to give ME before I allow you into my personal financial business? Are you going to buy me dinner? A nice bracelet? Pay my cellphone bill?

What?? What's in it for ME?
You're asking the person/business to give you money.
Why should they, you have to present your case to the employer.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:35 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,847,734 times
I also want to state,and I hope it doesn't inflame,but here goes.....

I noticed when interviewing in a southern state,that they often asked questions that were illegal,something no one ever asked me in Jersey. They would ask with a smile on their faces"Are you married"?
Its illegal.

Also,I had worked for this agency in Nj. Worked very good,had no problems with them
I worked at the same agency down in Nc. They had all my paperwork. So why did the same agency make me fill out a permission to check my credit before I started working? Hmm...all of this for a nursing job,really?

I really think the credit process is discriminatory.
You guys do realize certain ethnicites and income levels have lower scores?
I really believe its done to keep out those of certain ethnicities and incomes who passed the backround checks and drug tests.

How hard could it be really to figure it out? Of course the poor are going to have lower scores...

Old 01-05-2013, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Please. You have sat in this very thread trying to shove your views down everyone's throats as if your view is the only one that matters. Then you take the attitude that others are whining and being angry. They have every right to be angry and to discuss their frustration. This is a discussion board right? And from where I am sitting you are whining as well. If the posts here don't appeal to your liking then why read? After all, you have no dog in this fight right? You sound just as angry as others here. You are angry at them being angry.
I don't care that they're angry.
But if they're not willing to take action, what good is it for them to be angry?
It then becomes whining.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:43 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,491,665 times
It is clearly obvious if someone is married or has children or not. I am not sure why people think this is some kind of big secret.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:18 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,032,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
So, would it be fair to say that it's not the credit report itself, but rather how employers use the report?

As I mentioned before, I have chosen to require credit reports on all hires as a way to identify issues that have a direct relationship to job performance. Also, as I stated, I am less concern with the information as I am in the explanation of the information. Things happen in life and people get into financial trouble. When I speak to an applicant about the negative information, I’m looking a couple of things, how it happened and how they relate to it.
AGAIN, it's none of your business. You just want to be nosey. Unless the job has to do with money or proprietary information, then it's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS what's on an applicant's credit report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search