Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 02:41 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisorthat View Post
Would I be able to get copies of paychecks from my bank from 5 years ago? That may be what I have to do. I know she has actually been called before (in 2010 or 2011) because I've had potential employers tell me they called her and she gave me a great reference. I have to use her as a reference because I need at least 3 non-familial child-care references, and a live-in position is a great one.

RE: paychecks - maybe. Depends on the bank. Did you claim it as employment on your tax return? That might work, too.

What about contacting someone from the agency that doesn't exist anymore?

I get that you need 3...but unless you can get ahold of her and either jog her memory or find out what's going on, listing someone else who will give you a reference instead of her who might be hurting your chances by 'not remembering' or saying the dates sound off would probably be better at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 02:48 PM

143 posts, read 246,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
RE: paychecks - maybe. Depends on the bank. Did you claim it as employment on your tax return? That might work, too.

What about contacting someone from the agency that doesn't exist anymore?

I get that you need 3...but unless you can get ahold of her and either jog her memory or find out what's going on, listing someone else who will give you a reference instead of her who might be hurting your chances by 'not remembering' or saying the dates sound off would probably be better at this point.
It was under-the-table, unfortunately. The only person who would remember me from the very small nanny agency I went through (the nanny placement agent I worked with) died of a massive heart attack early 2013

Old 11-21-2013, 02:52 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
It was under-the-table, unfortunately. The only person who would remember me from the very small nanny agency I went through (the nanny placement agent I worked with) died of a massive heart attack early 2013
If it was under the table, maybe she doesn't want to get into trouble being associated with the arrangement since it is AGAINST THE LAW, after all.

20yrsinBRanson

Old 11-21-2013, 03:15 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times
I understand that it is water under the bridge now, but I always encourage people to get a written reference when they leave a job.

If you have done a good job, everyone is all giddy and slapping you on the back and hugging you and telling you how much they are going to miss you. A year later, not so much.

So, get a letter from the employer when you leave. It is invaluable tool to have when you go looking for a new position. It solves the problem opf having to back to someone who may not be available, for whatever reason, at a future date to give that reference that they 'promised.'

As an employer, nobody minds providing such a letter to employees who have been a pleasure to have on staff. In many cases the employer will provide the letter without any prompting, and that makes you feel really good deep down inside.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:23 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,774,008 times
Unfortunately you need to use another reference. If this person is losing her memory, she may not even know some of her own family members.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:25 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,099,048 times
Quote:
I have used her as a reference throughout the years since when applying for jobs. Also, as I stated, she told me to use her as a reference and that she would give me a "wonderful" (her word) one.
As a mere human, I struggle with that logic. You're clinging onto something someone said to you in passing 6 years ago.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
As a mere human, I struggle with that logic. You're clinging onto something someone said to you in passing 6 years ago.
It wasn't in passing. She told me when she sat me down to tell me she had lost her job, so would have to lay me off, that I was welcome to give her as a reference. That was 5 years ago. Most employers want your employment history going back 10 years. Five years really isn't that long ago, unless you're like 12 years old lol. How do you totally forget about someone who was your nanny/housekeeper/personal assistant (because those were all my responsibilities -- not that I minded, I loved the job) for 8 months who lived in your house?!?!?!

Old 11-21-2013, 06:37 PM

So, thus far I have tried calling her at her house a couple times (and once left a voice message), at her work a couple times (didn't leave a message) and emailed her. Hopefully I will hear something soon.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:53 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Quote:
So, thus far I have tried calling her at her house a couple times (and once left a voice message), at her work a couple times (didn't leave a message) and emailed her. Hopefully I will hear something soon.
If she still doesn't remember you maybe send a photo of you at the time she knew you. Say "remember me. I worked for you month-year through month-year while you worked at XYZ company. I took john/jane to school and was the nanny while they were at North Middle School.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If she still doesn't remember you maybe send a photo of you at the time she knew you. Say "remember me. I worked for you month-year through month-year while you worked at XYZ company. I took john/jane to school and was the nanny while they were at North Middle School.
Thanks, those are great tips! I actually forgot to add a pic of me to the email I sent her, but I did remind her in the email that during the time I worked for her she completely renovated the powder room bathroom, her daughter had her prom and 18th birthday party (which I attended), and that she even allowed my mother and siblings to visit for a few days and stay in her house! I am hoping those things will prompt her memory! Also, that my email did not go to her spam folder LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search