Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 03:12 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
Have you even bothered to look at what the Noahide commandments are?
I realize that you would also point out the the Mosaic Dietary Laws apply only to Israel and not to Gentiles...

Old 03-27-2014, 03:29 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I realize that you would also point out the the Mosaic Dietary Laws apply only to Israel and not to Gentiles...
Exactly.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:40 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Exactly.
Why is that?...

Old 03-27-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Why is that?...
Re-read the last couple of pages, because I certainly have no intention of repeating myself.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:34 AM

I think that the series of questions that have been presented by pneuma are a good example of how many people assume that Judaism operates like Christianity and Islam.

Both of those religions operate as if they are the only "true" religion, and that all of humanity must either accept their tenets of suffer internal damnation. But these ideas are not found within Judaism; our religion teaches that Judaism is the correct religion for Jews, and only for Jews. While people can and do convert to Judaism, there is no biblical mandate that they must nor is there the threat of eternal damnation for those who do not. Judaism, and our 613 laws, is for Jews and it is how we express our relationship with our Creator.

And nothing preculdes God from having relationship with other groups or establishing rules for them or giving them prophets to spread His word to them. But, just as in Judaism, those are their laws and prophets, and they do not apply to us. Muhammad might very well be prophet of God sent to the Muslim people, and then they should follow what he has laid out for them, just as Moses was our prophet and we follow what he transmitted to us. But Muhammad is not our prophet, and we do not follow what he said.

As far as the Noahide laws go, they represent a basic morality that is found throughout the world, in civilizations both past and present, to different degrees. They represent, to us, what constitutes a "righteous" person regardless of their religion or other group affiliation.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:55 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Quote:
As far as the Noahide laws go, they represent a basic morality that is found throughout the world, in civilizations both past and present, to different degrees.
Here are the Noahide laws:

1) The prohibition of idolatry.
2) The prohibition of murder.
3) The prohibition of theft.
4) The prohibition of sexual immorality.
5) The prohibition of blasphemy.
6) The prohibition of eating flesh taken from an animal while it is still alive.
7) The requirement of maintaining courts to provide legal recourse.

I think all of us (except for those who condone the killings in Numbers 31) can agree with laws 2, 3, 4, and 7. Probably every tribe of people has laws like this.

However, the rest of the laws are pretty silly, especially number 6. A lot of people like to eat live animals like oysters.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
However, the rest of the laws are pretty silly, especially number 6. A lot of people like to eat live animals like oysters.
That's nice.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:10 AM

388 posts, read 385,017 times
Eating anything that is still alive is cruel.

It's like down here in SoFlorida, people like to eat Stone Crabs. When they catch a stone crab, they tear a claw arm off and throw the rest of the live crab back. Only to recatch him at a later date and take his regrown claw!

Talk about a cycle of terror.

Luckily, Jews who are observant of Kashrut are not tempted to eat most foods that are still alive (or taken from a living animal) when consumed (Oysters, Stone Crab, etc) because they are Shellfish. (pun intended)

Old 03-27-2014, 08:10 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,389,775 times

Quote:
I think that theseries of questions
that have been presented by pneuma are a good example ofhow many people assume
that Judaism operates like Christianity and Islam.

I have no preconceivedIdea about Judaism that is why I am asking you guys questions.

Quote:
Both of those religions operate as if
they are the only "true"religion, and that all of humanity must either accept
their tenets of sufferinternal damnation.

That is potcalling the kettle black for Judaism also holds that they only have the way toGod. IE understand God.

And I do notbelieve in eternal damnation. And no I am not catholic. Like the Jews I believethat hell is a place of purification.

Quote:
But these ideas are not found within Judaism;our religion teaches that Judaism
is the correct religion for Jews, and onlyfor Jews. While people can and do
convert to Judaism, there is no biblicalmandate that they must nor is there the
threat of eternal damnation for thosewho do not. Judaism, and our 613 laws, is
for Jews and it is how we express ourrelationship with our Creator.

My belief doesnot hold to the orthodox Christian belief so don’t lump me in with them. And againthere is no such thing as eternal damnation. That belief come from a lack ofunderstanding within Christianity of what an aion, olam in the Hebrew represent.

Quote:

And nothing preculdes God from
having relationship with other groups orestablishing rules for them or giving
them prophets to spread His word to them.But, just as in Judaism, those are
their laws and prophets, and they do notapply to us. Muhammad might very well be
prophet of God sent to the Muslimpeople, and then they should follow what he has
laid out for them, just asMoses was our prophet and we follow what he
transmitted to us. But Muhammad isnot our prophet, and we do not follow what he
said.

As far as the Noahide laws go, they
represent a basic morality that is foundthroughout the world, in civilizations
both past and present, to differentdegrees. They represent, to us, what
constitutes a "righteous" personregardless of their religion or other group
affiliation.

So are yousaying that the Messiah of the Jews is only for the Jews and other religionhave their own Messiah?

Old 03-27-2014, 08:16 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,389,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Thus God did have laws before the time of Moses and if you look at the tree of knowledge of Good and evil God said THOU SHALT NOT, just as He (God) did when giving Moses out the Torah.

Death comes because of sin/missing the mark of that which God commands, thus when Adam ate he sinned and death entered in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Where did you get this idea from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
Isn't that a Christian belief?
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Many Christians believe that Judaism is simply Christianity without Jesus. Or more accurately, Christianity with Jesus being a future rather than historical figure, who would also be God in the flesh and will die for people's sins and rise again with all the Pauline theology. I ask questions to get Christians to question their own assumptions and go "oh wait, that theological statement, like most of Christianity, was invented by Paul of Tarsus. Why did I expect it to be in Judaism?".
although Paul might have been the first to put this together the idea is not based on Christianity it is based on the Torah. But because Jews do not believe anything in the NT they reject this as a Christian believe, missing out on the fact Paul got this understaning from the Torah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism