Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 05:22 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,227,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Are there dress preferences, or requirements for you? What is your favorite author?
The dress requirements for me are to follow halacha (Jewish law). If I have a question, I ask a Rebbetzin (wife of Rabbi). I am female.

My favorite authors and texts are Chassidic. Also the "Torah Classics" series published by Feldheim Publishers. Also stories and lessons and teachings from the Ba'al Shem Tov. Aryeh Kaplan is a favorite author and translator. Pirkei Avot is a favorite, numerous editions with commentary.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-16-2015 at 05:35 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 05:43 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
The dress requirements for me are to follow halacha (Jewish law). If I have a question, I ask a Rebbetzin (wife of Rabbi). I am female.

My favorite authors and texts are Chassidic. Also the "Torah Classics" series published by Feldheim Publishers. Also stories and lessons and teachings from the Ba'al Shem Tov. Aryeh Kaplan is a favorite author and translator. Pirkei Avot is a favorite, numerous editions with commentary.
Rebbetzin are consulted for more than dress? Or, do you consult them on other matters of faith?

Thank you.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:03 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Rebbetzin are consulted for more than dress? Or, do you consult them on other matters of faith?
yes on just about anything; i have in person Rebbetzin to ask, and also on-line Rebbetzin too.
i have also found visiting mothers of the Rabbi and Rebbetzin to be an excellent resource. Some of the most profound gems of learning have been from the mothers. Not just what they say or teach, but also in watching how they interact with others. If someone is being disruptive for instance in class or at a gathering, seeing how she handles it, those are very helpful to me.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yes on just about anything; i have in person Rebbetzin to ask, and also on-line Rebbetzin too.
i have also found visiting mothers of the Rabbi and Rebbetzin to be an excellent resource. Some of the most profound gems of learning have been from the mothers. Not just what they say or teach, but also in watching how they interact with others. If someone is being disruptive for instance in class or at a gathering, seeing how she handles it, those are very helpful to me.
Women always give the best advice, and mothers can silence a bunch of noisy kids with that one "look."

The Flipflop said you had a story about finding your faith? I would love to hear it, but understand if you choose not to.

What happens to Rebbetzin if something happens to the Rabbi? Does she become a Crone, or an honored elder in your community?

Old 12-16-2015, 07:26 PM

I am unable to rep you T. I will do it here. Thank you.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:51 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,626 times
Quote:
Thank you again. And, thank you to everyone else, too.

Is there a spectrum within Orthodoxy? Are there scholars alive today writing texts? How do you determine if someone is Orthodox?
There is a substantial spectrum within Orthodoxy. In fact, these days, the splits between groups that have historically not even really existed are becoming vituperative. The old divisions of Orthodox and "ultra" Orthodox have devolved into

chareidi, chassidish (each with a set of subgroups), yeshivish, modern, open, orthoprax and who knows what else.

There are writers still writing all sorts of texts. In fact, the internet has opened the door for more voices. Schools put out weekly newsletters with torah insights and discussions of law. Individuals write books and blogs and magazines publish on and off line full of innovations and explanations.

The standards of "what is orthodox" are as contentious as you can imagine. People self-label by with their own varying standards. "Sabbath observant", "keeping kosher" and such are not cut and dried. What I think is OK you frown on. What you think is OK I can't allow.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
There is a substantial spectrum within Orthodoxy. In fact, these days, the splits between groups that have historically not even really existed are becoming vituperative. The old divisions of Orthodox and "ultra" Orthodox have devolved into

chareidi, chassidish (each with a set of subgroups), yeshivish, modern, open, orthoprax and who knows what else.

There are writers still writing all sorts of texts. In fact, the internet has opened the door for more voices. Schools put out weekly newsletters with torah insights and discussions of law. Individuals write books and blogs and magazines publish on and off line full of innovations and explanations.

The standards of "what is orthodox" are as contentious as you can imagine. People self-label by with their own varying standards. "Sabbath observant", "keeping kosher" and such are not cut and dried. What I think is OK you frown on. What you think is OK I can't allow.
Do these differences allow people to worship together?

Old 12-17-2015, 11:18 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,626 times
Quote:
Do these differences allow people to worship together?
That sometimes has to do with the person and not the denomination. I think that I could pray in a synagogue that was more to the religious "right" (which is usually affiliated with observance, seriousness etc). Someone who is very to the right might look at a synagogue way to the left of Orthodoxy and draw a line and say "your partition between men and women is not high enough; I can't pray there." Or he could say "I can pray there today but not make it a habit" or say "I'm sure you have a rabbinic opinion of suitable reputation which says that the height is acceptable so I can pray there."

But this is WITHIN Orthodoxy. The divisions between Orthodoxy and other branches might lead one to refuse to pray in a synagogue affiliated with (or making liturgical/practical decisions of) sects more to the left.

And I haven't even mentioned Ashkenazim vs. other 'geographical' groups.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:27 AM

646 posts, read 465,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post

But this is WITHIN Orthodoxy. The divisions between Orthodoxy and other branches might lead one to refuse to pray in a synagogue affiliated with (or making liturgical/practical decisions of) sects more to the left.
The same is true the other way around. Some people will not pray in a synagogue where there is no mixed seating for men or women. So, you might have a Reform Jew who will not pray in an Orthodox synagogue because men and women sit separately.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:54 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
This is an interesting E-Book "Anti-Judaism: The Western Tradition"...I wonder if Western Thought even realizes how Anti-Jewish they really are?...

Intro:

A powerful history that shows anti-Judaism to be a central way of thinking in the Western tradition.
This incisive history upends the complacency that confines anti-Judaism to the ideological extremes in the Western tradition. With deep learning and elegance, David Nirenberg shows how foundational anti-Judaism is to the history of the West.

Questions of how we are Jewish and, more critically, how and why we are not have been churning within the Western imagination throughout its history. Ancient Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans; Christians and Muslims of every period; even the secularists of modernity have used Judaism in constructing their visions of the world. The thrust of this tradition construes Judaism as an opposition, a danger often from within, to be criticized, attacked, and eliminated. The intersections of these ideas with the world of power—the Roman destruction of the Second Temple, the Spanish Inquisition, the German Holocaust—are well known. The ways of thought underlying these tragedies can be found at the very foundation of Western history.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism