Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 08:57 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times

Advertisements

I respect my brethren for not saying YHVH's name, however it can not be ignored that it IS in Torah to call upon HIS name, not his title. I have no issues with calling upon HIS name as HE asked in particular in prayer, hence there will not be ANY mistake upon WHICH Elohim I am calling upon.

Exod 6:2 And Elohim spoke to Mosheh and said to him, “I am יהוה.
Exod 6:3 “And I appeared to Aḇraham, to Yitsḥaq, and to Ya῾aqoḇ, as Ěl Shaddai. And by My Name, יהוה, was I not known to them?

Old 02-28-2012, 09:01 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Is this thread still open for actual questions to be answered by the Original Poster or others who have posted answers in the past?

Old 02-28-2012, 09:05 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Is this thread still open for actual questions to be answered by the Original Poster or others who have posted answers in the past?
Yep, I check it every day. Ask away...

Old 02-28-2012, 09:09 AM

Wonderful and thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions. I am genuinely curious and will never try to trick you I promise. I was baptized and raised Roman Catholic but do not regularly attend the physical Church. I believe in God and I pray daily and I know without doubt or hesitation everything I have been blessed with comes from God. That being said I am curious about the Torah and the Talumud (sp) my apologies if I got the spelling wrong. Is it allowed for those who are not Jewish to read these documents? I do not wish to offend anyone or do anything that is not allowed according to Jewish guidelines I do however like to read the different documents associated with other religions just for my own personal knowledge and comparison.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:16 AM

From another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torah4ever View Post
Lets supposed you dig a hole like 20 feet deep. You tell your son not to go inside that hole, then you build a fence to keep your kids away and then tell your kids; i do not want you near that fence! So in order to protect your kids Jewish Sages have place fences over fences. Not only in G-d name but on every Law commanded in Torah.
Yes, we do indeed put fence posts around the 613 mitzvahs in the Torah that Jews are compelled to follow. These are called "mitzvahs d'rabbanim. It's even permissible to put fence posts around the fence posts (that's called a chumra), but that's not advisable unless one were to consult a qualified posek (rabbi qualified to answer halachic - Jewish law - questions). And one should only take on a chumra if by doing so it will bring them great joy in performing the mitzvah.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Wonderful and thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions. I am genuinely curious and will never try to trick you I promise. I was baptized and raised Roman Catholic but do not regularly attend the physical Church. I believe in God and I pray daily and I know without doubt or hesitation everything I have been blessed with comes from God. That being said I am curious about the Torah and the Talumud (sp) my apologies if I got the spelling wrong. Is it allowed for those who are not Jewish to read these documents? I do not wish to offend anyone or do anything that is not allowed according to Jewish guidelines I do however like to read the different documents associated with other religions just for my own personal knowledge and comparison.
CSD, welcome to the thread, and I'm happy to answer your questions.

There is nothing stopping you from researcing and learning the Torah. If you want a reliable Hebrew to English translation full of excellent commentary, you should purchase the ArtScroll Stone Chumash. However, I suspect it will all fall just a little bit flat if you do not also have the benefit of a qualified rabbi to teach you, and full access to the Talmud (which is a written version of the Oral law Moses was given at Mount Sinai). Torah is literally meaningless without the benefit of the oral law, and a qualified rabbi to teach it to you. Although there are versions of the Talmud with English translations, it will still just be a bunch of goblty-**** to you without someone qualified to teach it to you. And unfortunately for you, Jews will not (cannot) teach Torah in any depth to a non-Jew.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
CSD, welcome to the thread, and I'm happy to answer your questions.

There is nothing stopping you from researcing and learning the Torah. If you want a reliable Hebrew to English translation full of excellent commentary, you should purchase the ArtScroll Stone Chumash. However, I suspect it will all fall just a little bit flat if you do not also have the benefit of a qualified rabbi to teach you, and full access to the Talmud (which is a written version of the Oral law Moses was given at Mount Sinai). Torah is literally meaningless without the benefit of the oral law, and a qualified rabbi to teach it to you. Although there are versions of the Talmud with English translations, it will still just be a bunch of goblty-**** to you without someone qualified to teach it to you. And unfortunately for you, Jews will not (cannot) teach Torah in any depth to a non-Jew.

I understand I was just hoping to learn more about a different religion than what I was taught as a child. Thank you again for taking the time. I may see about getting things anyway and read and maybe ask a few questions with the hope they can be answered without causing any troubles for anyone. I do appreciate your honesty and sincerity very much. Can I wish you many blessings and still be appropriate?

Old 02-28-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I understand I was just hoping to learn more about a different religion than what I was taught as a child. Thank you again for taking the time. I may see about getting things anyway and read and maybe ask a few questions with the hope they can be answered without causing any troubles for anyone. I do appreciate your honesty and sincerity very much. Can I wish you many blessings and still be appropriate?
One can never receive enough blessings. Your communication style makes you sound like a rightous gentile. So thank you very much!

Do you mind if I ask You a question? I saw in your earlier post that you have adopted many Jewish customs in the way you practice your religion. Are you familiar with the concept of a Noahide? In your continuing research, you might want to investigate what it means to be a Noahide and follow the 7 Noahide Laws. The Jewish view on non-Jews, is that this is all you have to do to earn a share in The World to Come. I'm not telling you how to practice your religion, but rather just giving you a direction to research, since you appear to be an inquisitive person. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
One can never receive enough blessings. Your communication style makes you sound like a rightous gentile. So thank you very much!

Do you mind if I ask You a question? I saw in your earlier post that you have adopted many Jewish customs in the way you practice your religion. Are you familiar with the concept of a Noahide? In your continuing research, you might want to investigate what it means to be a Noahide and follow the 7 Noahide Laws. The Jewish view on non-Jews, is that this is all you have to do to earn a share in The World to Come. I'm not telling you how to practice your religion, but rather just giving you a direction to research, since you appear to be an inquisitive person. Best of luck to you.

You can ask me anything and I will answer the best I can. I truly was not aware I had adopted Jewish customs. Probably because I am not aware of Jewish customs. I will look into the 7 Noahide Laws, it does sound interesting and something I would enjoy gaining knowledge about. Thank you for the referral. I would never take your comments as telling me how to practice my religion and I would never do the same to you intentionally. I find it enlightening to try and understand different perspectives when it comes to how others practice their faith.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 AM

CSD, sorry, I confused you with another poster (who posted right before you did) who did indeed share that they had adopted several Jewish customs:

Quote:
"Ask a Jew" is a great idea . I 'am in a christian bible group and we are gradually restoring Judaic principles and practices ie studying Torah,celebrating Jewish feasts and finding our jewish roots. This week we will have Passover meal at my house and we already keep Sabbath on Saturday yet are compelled to attend church on Sunday. We "rest" on Saturday. We celebrated Hannukka and Rosh Hashanah We will be placing our Shema's on our door posts. We will not turn away from Yah. Just as a side thought if you "flip flop" read my post take a look at Rabbi Jonathan Cahn's The Harbinger as you my find it interesting . I just purchased the papaerback.

Das
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.