Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 08:38 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
It's irrational and child like.
That is common behavior for fundamentalists, be they Christian, Jewish, or Muslim.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:53 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
hiker, I'm a frum Yid, and I have no fear writing or saying the name Jesus. It's just a name - and a common one for Hispanics these days.

As 1+1 pointed out, I'm very machpid (careful) to never say or write any of Hashem's names, as it would likely be a violation of halacha (Jewish law) were I to do so. Not to mention that it's disrespectful to use Hashem's names in every day speach - I save that when using loshen hakodesh (the holy language of Hebrew).

I also avoid spelling out or pronoucing any derivitive of the word Chrst, as I fear it would be construed (for a Jew only) as idolotry. Chrstians are welcome to say whatever they want whenever they want. As long as they follow the 7Noahide laws, they're all set. Us Jews have 613 commandments to follow, so that's what I do. I'm a yid.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:56 PM

Flipflop, thanks for reinforcing what I said in my previous post.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Flipflop, thanks for reinforcing what I said in my previous post.
Oh, well you're very welcome. Glad we are in agreement.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 AM

Would you guys get upset if someone burned a Torah?

The Muslims seem to get all bent out of shape if someone mistreats their Quran. I have never heard about anyone abusing a Torah, so I have no idea how you all would react.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:14 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:

The Muslims seem to get all bent out of shape if someone mistreats their Quran. I have never heard about anyone abusing a Torah, so I have no idea how you all would react.
All you have to do is substitute something from any religion, and I suspect you'll get the same reaction. Christians don't seem to like crosses burned (or, for that matter, if you spit on one); why would anyone think Jews wouldn't mind if someone burned a Torah? I know it would bother me quite a bit.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 PM

467 posts, read 1,522,604 times
Quote:

There is a difference between a bound copy of the Tanakh (the Hebrew Bible) and a Torah scroll. There are few Torah scrolls and many copies of the Tanakh.

If you burn a bible - well, that's offensive. If you burn a Torah scroll - that's really offensive. As an earlier poster said - its like burning a cross or desecrating a church.

Would you see a reaction like you're seeing now to the Quran burnings? No - not as extreme.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 AM

When Jews learn a Torah scroll has been burned or destroyed, we mourn the loss of such atool of holiness.

Recently, a man in my town holding a Torah scroll during morning services passed out (due to a medical condition) and dropped the Torah scroll on the floor. The "biggest Rav" in town called his Rav in New York, who called his rav in Jerusalem, and the psak (the halachic decision) was that the community had to add an additional fast day onto the normal 7 fasts per year we do. That's the level of respect we give to Torah Scrolls. After all, it's the direct words of Hashem.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:13 AM

Those are very interesting responses.

Years ago, a so-called artist put a crucifix in a bucket of urine and called it "P--s Christ". Of course, Liberals defended his right of free expression and, of course, Conservatives criticized the fact that taxpayer money was being used to sponsor this art exhibit.

At the time, I wondered what would have been the reaction if a Quran had been dumped into the bucket of urine or if a Star of David had been put into a pile of manure and called "Jewish S--t".

Old 02-23-2012, 11:15 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
At the time, I wondered what would have been the reaction if ... a Star of David had been put into a pile of manure and called "Jewish S--t".
Many people, including many Jews, think the Star of David is the symbol of the Jewish religion. It is not.

The 7-branch Temple Menorah (not to be confused with the 8-branch Chanukah Menorah) is the religious symbol of the Jewish faith, but Jewish law prevents its public display in the same manner as Christians display the Cross, the religious symbol of the Christian faith.

It is at times of public display that the 6-pointed Magen Duveed (Star of David), the ensign of the House of David and the secular symbol of the Jewish people, is substituted for the 7-Branch Temple Menorah. This is confusing, and even many Jews think that the Star of David is a religious symbol, which it is not.

Additionally, you may find it interesting to know that it's a great surprise to many that G. Washington and the other founding fathers (mostly Free Masons, I've been told) included the Magen Duveed (Star of David), the secular symbol of the Jewish people, on the Great Seal of the United States. You can readily see it by looking directly above the Eagle on the reverse of the one-dollar bill (it's in the stars).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism