Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 04:36 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,735,109 times

Advertisements

Wow - that surprises me. I always think of Charedi Jews (which I think I recall you are) of born observant and observant for life. This gives me hope. I converted in a Conservative synagogue, and now am turning into the least observant Jew I know. I haven't found a conservative temple I like in small town South Carolina, so I just don't go anymore. Perhaps there is hope for me to someday be more observant again. I know observance is more than going to shul but it is important for converts to connect with our people so that we can build a strong Jewish home.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:18 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,699,080 times
For those who want to know about having sex through a hole in the sheet, see //www.city-data.com/forum/relig...dic-women.html

Old 02-17-2012, 05:32 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
wawaweewa, I suspect that you are not who you claim to be.
Oh,but I am what I claim to be and very proud to be Jewish. However, I choose to transcend the dogmatic and ingrained bull**** that exists in every facet of life (not just religious). Being Jewish is a part of who I am but it is not the end all, be all. It is part of my family's history and culture.
Most Jews are secular. Are most Jews not who they claim to be? The ability to adapt and transform has been precisely the reason why Judaism has been able to survive for so long with so few members. The core stays the same but the periphery needs to change.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 02-17-2012 at 05:40 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Most Jews are secular. Are most Jews not who they claim to be?
Secular, non-observant Jews are still Jews; Jews who worship Jesus of Nazareth are no longer Jews.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:05 AM

295 posts, read 555,081 times
i spent a few high holidays and shaboos with Satmars, Bobov, vishnitz, Stollen, Belzer, Kapusnitz, etc and they were all super cool and friendly to me. I met them when I was a model in NYC in the garment industry and I must say it was a great education.

There are good and bad in everykind. I found there to be a lot of fighting within the sects for control of a dynasty. also each sect for some part will daven or even celebrate a holiday a lil different but still within the tradition. I thank G_D for allow me this oppertunity this was PRICELESS an something very few even non hassid jews get to discover.

PS. the highlight of my journey was to meet the Bobov Rebbe. It was like meeting Hashem right hand mand aka personal assistant. I also met 2 of his sons and his wife and attended a wedding of his i think Great Grand Daughter in Feb of 1994. He will always hold a special place in my heart and soul

Old 02-19-2012, 01:03 PM

467 posts, read 1,523,020 times
Satmar as cool and friendly? Must be different Satmar than I've met. Lubavitchers tend to be very friendly, but much less so with other Chasidic sects.

The only other Rabbi who came to the groundbreaking of my conservative shul was the local Chabad rabbi. Very nice guy.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Secular, non-observant Jews are still Jews; Jews who worship Jesus of Nazareth are no longer Jews.
I'm an athiest.
Jesus is nothing but a historical figure to me. I've just never understood why so many modern orthodox Jews talking about jesus or christianity in the historical sense don't even pronounce the name. It's irrational and child like.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
Satmar as cool and friendly? Must be different Satmar than I've met. Lubavitchers tend to be very friendly, but much less so with other Chasidic sects.

The only other Rabbi who came to the groundbreaking of my conservative shul was the local Chabad rabbi. Very nice guy.
As the Chabad agenda is to bring non-observant Jews back to Judaism, being friendly and nice is what they do.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post

When dealing with individuals it's better to infer individual by individual. If we want to generalize sect wide then I'd agree that Satmar aren't the freindliest. Gur aren't too far behind. Bobov and Breslov tend to be more upbeat and cool. Chabad is always generally friendly but I wouldn't place them in the same ultra orthodox sphere as the other sects. From it's inception in the late 18th century Chabad kind of drew a separate path from mainstream Hasidism.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:14 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,735,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I'm an athiest.
Jesus is nothing but a historical figure to me. I've just never understood why so many modern orthodox Jews talking about jesus or christianity in the historical sense don't even pronounce the name. It's irrational and child like.
Well, we seem to have a thing about names. We also don't say or spell Hashem's name out (although, of course, we do this out of respect and admiration for Hashem). Granted, what you're referring to is very different. We don't mean it to be immature; it just tends to incite other Jews when we start talking about J-this and J-that. I don't know if we think when we talk about him that people will think we're engaged in idolatry or messianic stuff or what, but you're right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism