Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 05:16 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Take a step back. Under the Ottoman Caliphate, Jews were allowed to pray on the Temple Mount. In fact that has been a practice put in place since our Caliph Omar (ra) conquered Al-Quds and opened up the mount for Jewish prayers for the first time in centuries as the Romans and Christians had banned the Jews from doing so. The current state of wanting them off the Temple Mount is intention... These Jews want to rebuild Solomon's temple and destroy Al-Aqsa... There will be resistance to this.

I'm not sure if you caught our drift earlier but there is no Shari'a led state, none. There's dictatorships, monarchies, various forms of tyrants and in some parts true anarchism. However if in theory there was a Shari'a led state, Jews would have more rights to practice their religion than in Israel itself.
Under the Ottomans were completely different Jews. Those were culturally similar to Arabs. The Hasidic Jews have nothing culturally similar with Arabs and go to extra steps to have nothing in common in any community they live in. These Jews as you call them are the Hasidic Jews who want to rebuild Solomon's temple and destroy Al-Aqsa. Its the other 90% who want the city of Jerusalem to be an international city. Fantasy does not count. Only reality does and there is no Muslim country in North Africa or the Middle East that gives the freedom of religion to Jews as Israel does for Muslims. Maybe you need to stop being a armchair American Muslim and fly to the Middle East and see with your own eyes what is reality and what is not. You typing information that you've read has no value to a person who actually lives in the region. None.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 05:33 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Under the Ottomans were completely different Jews. Those were culturally similar to Arabs. The Hasidic Jews have nothing culturally similar with Arabs and go to extra steps to have nothing in common in any community they live in. These Jews as you call them are the Hasidic Jews who want to rebuild Solomon's temple and destroy Al-Aqsa. Its the other 90% who want the city of Jerusalem to be an international city. Fantasy does not count. Only reality does and there is no Muslim country in North Africa or the Middle East that gives the freedom of religion to Jews as Israel does for Muslims. Maybe you need to stop being a armchair American Muslim and fly to the Middle East and see with your own eyes what is reality and what is not. You typing information that you've read has no value to a person who actually lives in the region. None.
A lot of assumptions here... I have lived in the ME, have been to Palestine several times and am ethnically from the region. I hope that clears up some things.

Second of all... No, there are no Shari'a led states. You keep saying, "show me a Muslim country where Jews have the same rights"... What I'm telling you in response is that while those countries certainly have Muslim majority populations, none of them are implementing Shari'a. Similarly Israel proper is majority Jewish but is not truly implementing Torah and Talmudic law and Italy is a Christian country that is not implementing the laws of the Catholic Church. Now there are some Muslim states such as Saudi Arabia for example whom claim to be implementing Shari'a but in reality they Cherry-pick, make vast exceptions for royals, and only want to implement as much as they have to in order to keep the population from revolting.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:06 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
A lot of assumptions here... I have lived in the ME, have been to Palestine several times and am ethnically from the region. I hope that clears up some things.

Assumptions? I am a Levant Mizrahi. My family has lived to the East and North of Jerusalem for 100's of years. Per my DNA tests I am 98% from that region. I visit Israel, I live in Dubai and the US. Overall I spend more time in the Middle East then I spend in the US every year. Reality is through my eyes and not the media. And as a former US Marine I have fought to protect Arab lives in Lebanon. I hope that clears up things for you.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:57 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,795,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
My ancestors left...I'm coming back...Only disappeared for about 2 or 3 generations...
Richard, have you read Turbulent Souls by Stephen Dubner? Interesting story - the author was raised a strict Roman Catholic but found out his parents were both Jewish-born and raised. Dubner found his way back to Judaism.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:12 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
I would say more like 200, but I wouldn't be so quick to call a different opinion "crazy."
I doubt it. The more the frum (observant Orthodox) community slides to the right, the higher the rate of people going off the derech (leaving Orthodox Judaism)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
If the American Jewish community is becoming more Orthodox, perhaps it is because of a desire to draw close to Hashem.
There are many non-Orthodox Jews: non-denominational, traditional, Conservative, and Reform -- who are close to Hashem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
As a Reform Jew, I hate the ult orthodox community they are not real Jews. I have more respect for Muslims than them.
I am very much against ultra-Orthodox intolerance of other legitimate and halachic interpretations of Judaism. But it saddens me to see that most Reform and Conservative Jews are reliant on them for things like kosher certification, mohels, sofers, etc., and blindly accept what ultra-Orthodox rabbis say as a valid opinion, albeit they don't believe it is the only valid opinion.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:01 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Richard, have you read Turbulent Souls by Stephen Dubner? Interesting story - the author was raised a strict Roman Catholic but found out his parents were both Jewish-born and raised. Dubner found his way back to Judaism.
I was talking with an orthodox friend of mine yesterday and he believes there are a lot of people out there that do not know that they are Jews, somehow lost their identity...He thinks it is, on those that are lost, punishment by HaShem for screwing up bad, Israel, I think, got sent into exile?...He thinks HaShem will reveal their Jewishness to them in His time, If they're found worthy...

Old 04-25-2015, 11:52 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
There are many non-Orthodox Jews: non-denominational, traditional, Conservative, and Reform -- who are close to Hashem.
Of course there are, that is absolutely true. A yid is a yid, every Jew is precious.

But the thread topic addresses the growth of the orthodox community in America. And if it is growing one of the reasons may be that baal tshuvas wanting to draw close to Hashem may see the orthodox community as a effective home to facilitate that. Also with the growth of Chabad, there is a way for baal tshuvas to learn about Judaism that they may not otherwise have ever had access to, and this education is in Chassidus.

No one is forcing anyone to go to this shul or that. If people are choosing it, there is a reason.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:23 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Of course there are, that is absolutely true. A yid is a yid, every Jew is precious.

But the thread topic addresses the growth of the orthodox community in America. And if it is growing one of the reasons may be that baal tshuvas wanting to draw close to Hashem may see the orthodox community as a effective home to facilitate that. Also with the growth of Chabad, there is a way for baal tshuvas to learn about Judaism that they may not otherwise have ever had access to, and this education is in Chassidus.

No one is forcing anyone to go to this shul or that. If people are choosing it, there is a reason.
I think the primary reason it's growing is because Orthodox Jews are currently breeding like rabbits.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:09 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I was talking with an orthodox friend of mine yesterday and he believes there are a lot of people out there that do not know that they are Jews, somehow lost their identity...He thinks it is, on those that are lost, punishment by HaShem for screwing up bad, Israel, I think, got sent into exile?...He thinks HaShem will reveal their Jewishness to them in His time, If they're found worthy...
I heard an amazing idea from my Rav on this. He said that when Hashem offered the Torah to the Jews in the midbar, he first offered it to all the nations, and each turned it down when they heard what would be asked of them (no murder, no stealing, no immorality, etc). But it was the leaders of the nations who rejected the offer of Torah. Some individuals in those nations said na'aseh venishma (we will do and we will learn). But since their corrupt leaders turned it down, they too were cut off from Torah. As a tikkun for their saying na'aseh venishma, their neshamos merited in later generations to do teshuva and come to Yiddishkite. Perhaps all of today's converts are the neshamos of those non Jews who said na'aseh venishma but were denied Torah in those times.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:57 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,015,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
What you say is so true. My mom and I experience that when we go back and visit her home town in Morocco all the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism