Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:52 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Do you have any data to support this claim?
'Haredi unemployment unsustainable' - Business - Jerusalem Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 02:03 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,050,224 times

Thanks for backing my view Pruzhany

What I have been told by people personally, they give them $$$-$$$$!!!

Old 06-15-2015, 02:51 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,015,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Thanks for backing my view Pruzhany

What I have been told by people personally, they give them $$$-$$$$!!!
Yes in Israel they qualified for 90% discount in city taxes in most of their communities so this is making it difficult for the municipality to build public facilities or fund services in those areas

Last edited by Devon011; 06-15-2015 at 03:16 PM..

Old 06-15-2015, 06:34 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,946 times
Funny "proof." It says 70% (those Chareidim that do not work) of the 10% of the Israeli population that is Chareidim. And divided by another 50% (as Chareidi women do work)... That means 3.5% of the Israeli population is non working Chareidim.

That warrants exactly what? I would bet more than 3.5% of the Israeli population is non working secular women with working husbands. Why no articles on them? Could it be that criticizing the Chareidim in Israel is just another insidious form of Jewish self-hatred?

Old 06-15-2015, 06:44 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times
it makes perfect sense to have Torah scholars who pray and study full time; and to have working class support them. Both are needed, both are valuable, both are necessary. They work in partnership for the good of k'lal Yisrael and for the good of the world. We know this from the tribes of Issachar and Zebulun.

"Issachar is the scholar. Scholarship provides wisdom, clarity and direction. It is the foundation of any system. Issachar is the dedication to immerse in study and education.

"Zebulun is the merchant, the businessperson personality. His role is to enter the marketplace and redeem the Divine sparks within the material world. Zebulun complements Issachar; they forge a partnership: Zebulun supports the scholar, he funds houses of scholarship, which earns him a right to partake in the reward of Issachar’s studies."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-15-2015 at 06:53 PM..

Old 06-15-2015, 06:46 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times
also it is a very big mitzvah to give tzedakah to Torah scholars. Particularly for those of us Jews in the Diaspora, it is how we bind ourselves to the Holy Land and to Eretz Israel. i am happy to send 70% of my tzedakah to Israel, and 30% to my shul here in the states. Torah scholars bring peace to the world:

Rabbi Elazar said in the name of Rabbi Chanina: Torah scholars increase peace in the world, for it is said (Isaiah 54, 13): And all your children shall be learners of the Torah of the Lord, and great will be the peace of your children … Those who love Your Torah have abundant peace, and there is no stumbling for them (Psalms 119, 165).

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-15-2015 at 07:18 PM..

Old 06-15-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Funny "proof." It says 70% (those Chareidim that do not work) of the 10% of the Israeli population that is Chareidim. And divided by another 50% (as Chareidi women do work)... That means 3.5% of the Israeli population is non working Chareidim.

That warrants exactly what? I would bet more than 3.5% of the Israeli population is non working secular women with working husbands. Why no articles on them? Could it be that criticizing the Chareidim in Israel is just another insidious form of Jewish self-hatred?
Ultra-Orthodox make up 10% of Israel population yet more than 50% of working age men don't have a job and don't want one instead preferring to spend their days in the seminary. The cities they live in are some of the poorest in the country all because of this. This is why I posted about how in a lot of the cities most qualify for a 90 percent discount in city taxes thus not leaving much for those cities to do much of anything else. The percent of unemployed non-Haredi jews is much lower. Why would there need to be an article about secular unemployment when most are working and aren't causing issues. That is not self-hatred, that is pure facts

Last edited by Devon011; 06-15-2015 at 07:51 PM..

Old 06-15-2015, 07:56 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Dew View Post
Ultra-Orthodox make up 10% of Israel population yet more than 50% of working age men don't have a job and don't want one instead preferring to spend their days in the seminary. The cities they live in are some of the poorest in the country all because of this. This is why I posted about how in a lot of the cities most qualify for a 90 percent discount in city taxes thus not leaving much for those cities to do much of anything else. The percent of unemployed non-Haredi jews is much lower. Why would there need to be an article about secular unemployment when most are working and aren't causing issues. That is not self-hatred, that is pure facts
So according to your numbers, the non working chareidi men only make up 2.5% of the entire population of Israel. I'm struggling to understand the problem. I bet there are more than 2.5% of left handed men in Israel who don't work either, but there isn't a ground swell of hateful articles written about left handed Jews with the chutzpah to not work.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
So according to your numbers, the non working chareidi men only make up 2.5% of the entire population of Israel. I'm struggling to understand the problem. I bet there are more than 2.5% of left handed men in Israel who don't work either, but there isn't a ground swell of hateful articles written about left handed Jews with the chutzpah to not work.
They are not my numbers. They are government numbers and they are facts. Obviously you don't see the problem when you have a segment of a population that refuse to work and depend on handouts,social services, government welfare programs just to provide for their own family. They are hurting the economy and that money has to come from somewhere. You can call it hateful all you like but it won't change the facts on how they are hurting the economy

Old 06-15-2015, 08:09 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:
Stop acting like a Troll and using fuzzy mathematics. You know exactly what he's stating. Women are being forced to work, take care of children and basically do everything else while males sit back and read books. Most adult males as a percentage of their group do not work. Stop trying to dilute the numbers by using the entire country to make your fuzzy mathematics sound better.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 06-15-2015 at 08:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism