Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:41 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,045,427 times

Advertisements

There is a poll going to see how many would be interested in a Jewish forum going. Its down at the administrative forum if anyone is interested.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:44 AM

Default music

Ive found some really interesting Israeli and Jewish bands. Any others have bands they like?

I like:

Idan Raichel
Pharoah's daughter
matisyahu

Always looking for more.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:40 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,441,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
while we are on topics of Judaism.....

A person is either Jewish or not Jewish. There is no "part Jewish."

If your son's mother is Jewish, then he is Jewish. It is passed through the mother.

So even though your son is Jewish, his children are NOT Jewish, unless their mother is Jewish.

Shalom and best wishes.
So King David wasn't Jewish because his Father Jesse wasn't Jewish. Since Jesse was Son to Obed (Jewish) and Ruth (Moabitess). I don't think this thinking works, because who would not include King David and Solomon as Jewish?

Old 10-29-2009, 10:24 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
So King David wasn't Jewish because his Father Jesse wasn't Jewish. Since Jesse was Son to Obed (Jewish) and Ruth (Moabitess). I don't think this thinking works, because who would not include King David and Solomon as Jewish?
You should've opened up a history book before making a statement like that. I cannot imagine what you were trying to prove. David was a Hebrew. Judaism (by which I mean, the precepts that have been developed and clarified over time) wasn't really an organized religion in David's lifetime. The country that formed the core of his kingdom, Judea, later gave its name to the religion.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:35 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You should've opened up a history book before making a statement like that. I cannot imagine what you were trying to prove. David was a Hebrew. Judaism (by which I mean, the precepts that have been developed and clarified over time) wasn't really an organized religion in David's lifetime. The country that formed the core of his kingdom, Judea, later gave its name to the religion.
Well Fundamentalist Christians know your faith better than you do. Afterall, Christianity is the "completion" of Judaism, so they know it all. Just ask them!

Old 10-29-2009, 12:42 PM

22,233 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post

Also by conversion. Children can undergo conversion.
yes, someone can also become a Jew, child or adult, by conversion
and a person who converts to Judaism has full status as someone born a Jew

However not all conversions are recognized and accepted within Judaism. It depends on the affiliation of the Rabbi performing the conversion.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-29-2009 at 01:00 PM..

Old 10-29-2009, 02:10 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,869,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Any Jews out there?
Well.........actually...........Millions!

Old 10-29-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post

Ruth was a convert to Judaism. She stayed with Naomi and said: Don't tell me to leave, where you go I will go and where you live I will live and your people will be my people and your God my God.

thus her Judaism was passed to her children.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yes, someone can also become a Jew, child or adult, by conversion
and a person who converts to Judaism has full status as someone born a Jew

However not all conversions are recognized and accepted within Judaism. It depends on the affiliation of the Rabbi performing the conversion.

Yes most converts are well aware of that, but they convert anyway and not all by orthodox rabbis. But most who convert other then orthodox have no intention of becoming orthodox and have a community they are involved with.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:29 PM

388 posts, read 856,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Well Fundamentalist Christians know your faith better than you do. Afterall, Christianity is the "completion" of Judaism, so they know it all. Just ask them!
so they say... in actuallity I think they're more mixed up about the whole enchilada....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism