Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 03:06 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,799,230 times

Advertisements

To those of you that are not Kentucky natives but have moved here, what do you think of our Commonwealth? Be polite, but also be 100% honest with the great, good, mediocre, bad, and ugly elements of this state, as you see them (i.e. - people, politics, hospitality, culture, terrain, education, weather, job market, economy, quality of life, healthcare, whatever factors you want to throw in.)

Are you glad you moved here? Or, do you regret it? Would you live anywhere else? Or, do you see yourself spending a lifetime as a Kentuckian? Where all have you lived in the past?

I'm a native Kentuckian, but find that many of our friendliest residents are indeed transplants. I guess it's because they have an understanding of what other places are like (for better or worse) and really want to make the most of their Kentucky experience (such as making friends.) So, I'm just curious. Thanks!

By the way, I KNOW I'm bound to get a lot of Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, and California. We seem to be drawing the biggest numbers of transplants from those four states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 04:03 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,214 times
Well, I'll jump in...before living here, I've lived in Ohio, Illinois, Mississippi, Alabama, Rhode Island and New Jersey/Pennsylvania, as well as working and studying in other places east of the Mississippi River. No west coast experience for me (yet...).

Ok - no flames here - I personally would rather not live in KY <ducks head>. BUT some of the reasons that I would prefer to live elsewhere are some of the very reasons that many love Kentucky - the slower pace of life, the conservative and bible belt influences, the church- and family-oriented small towns. They aren't bad things, just different things. I like snow! I like big cities (like Chicago), more diversity, a faster-paced life with more shopping, restaurants, etc and I personally like things that are generally more liberal and with less pervasiveness of religion. I've certainly found people and areas in KY that are more similar to me, but generally I'm different than the norm of the state. I'll never forget when I registered to vote here as a Democrat, I was actually laughed at by a clerk at the county office (since I registered at a more rural county office, I assume I really was in a minority). Personally, at its worst I would say that the towns and cities can be provincial or small-minded.

My husband is actually a native of Louisville, and he actually also prefers some of the other more northern, bigger cities where we've lived, but most of his family loves living in KY. And my own mom - a long-time Chicago native - fell in love with Louisville and happily lives there now herself - she enjoys the milder winters, the slower pace of life, etc.

I do think that KY, like every state, does have its unfair stereotypes. But in reality - life is different than what I am used to. Lots of people involved in outdoorsy activities - many hunters, fishermen, etc, (maybe because there is lots of beautiful land to explore). Lots of smaller towns with deep-rooted families, pride, and traditions. And yes - definitely some areas of poverty as well as areas of great wealth. And of course, when you talk about more areas where poverty is higher, you do have to deal more with issues of school drop-outs, lack of adequate health and dental care, issues of drug abuse, etc, and when it is rural it is even harder to get basic help and services to those in need.

So I really think it is a matter of preference. KY definitely still has its own unique personality, and I wouldn't want that to change. And I think that many people around the state tend to embrace some of those stereotypes - I've never heard so many Jeff Foxworthy jokes since I've moved here . It's not my personal cup of tea, but I know many others would feel differently.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:57 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,598 times
Quote:
I'll never forget when I registered to vote here as a Democrat, I was actually laughed at by a clerk at the county office (since I registered at a more rural county office, I assume I really was in a minority).
That is strange since KY is over 75% Democrat, even though they tend to vote Republican.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 24,991 times
I was born/raised in Denver, CO and Phoenix/Mesa, AZ I went to highschool in KY and we moved back to CO after my senior year, I love KY and am currently working very hard to move back there

The biggest reason I love KY is its just "home" now, its where we did stupid things growing up, fell in love, broken hearts, etc

Although I do think the people/hospitality, etc rock and I love the small town feel, plus being in Independence you can just cross the river into Ohio and get your big city fix whenever needed without living in it

Old 02-25-2008, 08:56 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,490 times
Like you said we have an understanding of other places.I lived myself in 2 other states.from the extremes of Mn. to the Hot and dry desert of west texas.And now here somewhere in between you could say.I like it sometimes and sometimes I wish I lived elsewhere.just getting used to the roads.Food is about the same.Kentucky has its charms like the state parks.I like to sightsee more now that I live here.I'm the same person I was in those other states still do what I like.And now I live here and its becoming my state too.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:31 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,964 times
I moved from Chicago to Louisville more than 6 years ago. Mainly for the natural beauty of the commonwealth. In the warmer months I appreciate camping in the various forests or by lakes.
My first few jobs were terrible; rock bottom pay, sometimes bad job conditions, and being around blue collars all day. That means the people discuss only sports all day, every day. Recently, I've found a job in a large hospital. The employees are more educated and have varied interests, it's a pleasure (and a big change) to listen to them.
During my first two years I attended various events hoping to meet people (different from those at my job) and see what cultural events are happening.
Prior to moving I thought the Bible Belt began further south. My mistake. Yes, religion is everywhere and has extensive influence on many things.
Whenever talking with people, I will not mention my atheism, liberal social views, or discuss politics...unless that person indicates similar views. There's no point to provoke arguments. I've become very cautious. If someone wants to start talking about the Cats or Cards I look for the exit.
I seldom go out anymore, there's little incentive for that. Once I went to some bars, but felt out of place and decided to stop throwing my money and time away. I mostly stay at home, listen to online college radio stations, and busy myself with various creative projects.
As soon as the weather warms up a bit I can plan several camping trips to enjoy the best parts of Kentucky.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:45 PM

201 posts, read 478,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny11068 View Post
I was born/raised in Denver, CO and Phoenix/Mesa, AZ I went to highschool in KY and we moved back to CO after my senior year, I love KY and am currently working very hard to move back there

The biggest reason I love KY is its just "home" now, its where we did stupid things growing up, fell in love, broken hearts, etc

Although I do think the people/hospitality, etc rock and I love the small town feel, plus being in Independence you can just cross the river into Ohio and get your big city fix whenever needed without living in it
You'd be surprised to see how much Independence is growing.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:26 AM

69 posts, read 321,606 times
Lived there short time-cost of living is great (got a great house for my $$), beautiful areas out of the city, but I felt as if you weren't from there originally, something was "missing". Nice enough people (more so the other transplants I met), but definately the "good 'ole boys" network was very apparent. I thought people had to get over talking about Derby from 1/1 until it happened (yes, it was fun, but it was odd being the only topic for months). Then when Derby's over the main topic was "Jimmy John from East Nowhere Kentucky, sophmore in HS, has given a verbal committment to the Cards for basketball....." I agree w/the post that said they liked what a bigger area had to offer. Not a lot of cultural diversity either.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:07 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,079 times
OK, I'll bite too. Husband and I moved to Lexington 3 yrs ago from NJ. Weather wise it's the same except the snow doesn't accumulate much (if at all) in Lexington. Should've sold our snow blower before we came here!

Things I like about Lexington & KY in general:
- Friendly people. I like the fact that when Lexingtonians say hello & smile, they actually look me in the eye when they do and mean it too!
- Low cost of living.
- No traffic (I laugh when people complain about New Circle Rd, they should see NJ's highways in rush hour)
- Great public parks and summer outdoor activities like farmers market, free musical performances, free outdoor movies, etc.
- People in general are much more open-minded than I expected.

Things I don't like about Lexington & KY in general:
1) Lack of good ethnic restaurants. I love asian cuisine & spicy food, and this is one thing I miss the most from NJ (that's why I list it right on top). The chinese and Indian restaurants here are very generic with nothing distinct to differentiate one from another. But I managed to discover a few gems to satisfy my cravings: PF Chang (great chinese cooking although they're pricey), Sahara (a good middle eastern restaurant in Beaumont center), Banana Leaf (a small Indian restaurant on Limestone, next to Subway), and Fusion Cafe on Winchester Rd, not far from downtown (an excellent Vietnamese cuisine restaurant).
2) Lack of fresh seafood, I mean the salt water deep sea seafood kinds like pompano, snapper, live crabs, etc.
3) Limited employment opportunities.

So now when we have this ethnic food cravings we just drive to Chicago for a weekend and stock up on all ethnic seasonings I can get my hands-on for my personal cooking.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:34 PM

891 posts, read 3,052,560 times
gracec if you like Chinese food check out Panda Garden on the north end of town on New Circle Rd. It's between Newtown Pk and Russell Cave Rd. Every time we have been there at least half the customers have been Chinese. They even have 2 menu's, one black and one red. Apparently the black one is written in Chinese. It is very inexpensive and delicious. Worth driving across town for!
There is a fairly new seafood shop on High St in Chevy Chase, Lexington Seafood. I don't know if they will have what you're looking for but the owner opened it because he couldn't find good fresh seafood in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky