Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 11:00 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,813,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I hope to be out of here before the herd becomes skittish.
Yes, food for thought. "Should I stay or should I go?" - The Clash. How deep to invest time, effort, interest and money due to possible impact(s) of water availability?

I've been working through scenarios regarding my investment(s) in Las Vegas. Water issues could be good or bad for business - depending on the business one is in. I already know what I'm going to do when the economic indicators are right. But, it's not appropriate to discuss that here.

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 11:32 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
The pictures of Lake Powell are not easily interpreted. The graphic is probably more useful...

http://graphs.water-data.com/lakepowell/

There is almost management of the joint Powell/Lake Mead to minimize evaporation. The objective would be to store the water with minimied surface area.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:39 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
Yes, food for thought. "Should I stay or should I go?" - The Clash. How deep to invest time, effort, interest and money due to possible impact(s) of water availability?

I've been working through scenarios regarding my investment(s) in Las Vegas. Water issues could be good or bad for business - depending on the business one is in. I already know what I'm going to do when the economic indicators are right. But, it's not appropriate to discuss that here.

It doesn't really matter if Las Vegas runs dry. What matters is public perception about Las Vegas running dry. If enough people decide "stick a fork in Las Vegas, it's done," that's that for property values. We'll be another Salton Sea.

The bigger problem is that no place is really safe -- if ocean currents change, Europe could find itself under 100 feet of ice and the Sahara could become the world's garden spot. (Could. Not likely. But could.)

So my parameters for what constitutes a relatively stable place to live the next chapter of my life could have a big 'ol wrench thrown into it. I think one of the most important concepts for the next few decades is to live a compact and portable life -- be ready to drop everything and move to where the climate is suitable.

We are racing (with mostly closed and/or blindfolded eyes) into what the Chinese call "interesting times."

Old 06-17-2015, 03:13 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,813,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It doesn't really matter if Las Vegas runs dry. What matters is public perception about Las Vegas running dry. If enough people decide "stick a fork in Las Vegas, it's done," that's that for property values. We'll be another Salton Sea.
Exactly. Markets are driven by perception.

I'm not saying I'd pull out of Las Vegas - but I would shift strategies. There are deals to be found in failing markets. And, I'm a vulture.

Bill

Old 06-17-2015, 03:23 PM

Perceptions are driven by reality over a long period. While you may get short term perception problems they cannot exist long term as reality intrudes.

The Colorado ain't going dry. It is really not in the picture. It is clear that even with the worst case projections Las Vegas still gets sufficient water and has reserves as well.

I think SNWA should pursue the water pipe line regardless of how long it takes as it is a one shot deal. LV gets that water or it never will. And there are few other alternatives. But LV survives with or without it. Just a question of running out of growth at 2.75 million or 3.5 million.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:58 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,829,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Perceptions are driven by reality over a long period. While you may get short term perception problems they cannot exist long term as reality intrudes.

The Colorado ain't going dry. It is really not in the picture. It is clear that even with the worst case projections Las Vegas still gets sufficient water and has reserves as well.

I think SNWA should pursue the water pipe line regardless of how long it takes as it is a one shot deal. LV gets that water or it never will. And there are few other alternatives. But LV survives with or without it. Just a question of running out of growth at 2.75 million or 3.5 million.
Yep, the Colorado River is not going dry. It could easily re-fill Lake Mead if the allocations to AZ and CA were cut by 35% or whatever number it takes.

As for the limits of growth for the Las Vegas Valley given our current water budget, I think that in a couple or so years that picture will become a lot clearer.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
Yep, the Colorado River is not going dry. It could easily re-fill Lake Mead if the allocations to AZ and CA were cut by 35% or whatever number it takes.

As for the limits of growth for the Las Vegas Valley given our current water budget, I think that in a couple or so years that picture will become a lot clearer.
It would appear we are short about 1.5 or 2.0 MAF to the long term average.

At the moment we are short another 2.5MAF on the 10 year average. So a 10 to 15% cut to everybody. Maybe a bit more if the drought does not break soon.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:37 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times
Meanwhile, in California...

Rich Californians balk at limits:

Old 06-17-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post

You aware that in Clark County anyone with 1.1 acres and a well can draw effectively unlimited water from the well? There is a limit...but there is no meter so the only way to tell is if you start growing a couple of acres of Alfalfa or such. And such wells exist in places like Palomino and Rancho circle? They also have SNWA water for the house and the well for the shrubs.

In the rest of the state you do not even need 1.1 acres.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:00 PM

15,864 posts, read 14,491,391 times
Why do I have a feeling there will soon be water trucks plying routes in Beverly Hills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas