Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 08:20 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
As a fellow Ute I’ll cut you some slack here (kidding of course); overall I agree with you, however, when someone titles a post “Living in las vegas: thinking of moving here? The real truth” and then posts such truths as:
“They cater to the Mexican community here” - My wife is Hispanic and I just asked her if she feels catered to and she replied “no, now in California we were catered to” Straight from a Hispanic’s mouth.

“There is really nothing to do but gamble, see shows if anything good is out, party, swim if youre lucky to have a pool, or walk the strip or Fremont street” – Really, that’s all there is to do here? Remember, these are truths.

“Drivers are retarted. You are guaranteed a fender bender at most within your first year living here” – I don’t believe the mentally challenged are allowed to drive here. Also, I’ve lived here three years and no accidents so that’s not much of a guarantee the OP has going there. No accidents for the Hispanic wife either. By-the-way, notice the OP misspelled retarded, just saying . . .

Unless you like burgers and Mexican food, cook at home – Really? Scoop where do you work, In-N-Out or Taco Bell?

“Unless you have family or friends already, you will be lonely” – We moved here three years ago not knowing a soul and just today I was complaining because we’re so busy socially that between now and mid September we have one available weekend date to schedule dinner with a neighbor. At this point I’d welcome not having anything to do and being lonely! Oh, and the neighbor took us up on the date so we are booked through mid September now.

Sure I parsed the OP’s message to make my point and I do agree with the OP that we need to do better with our education system and if you move here without a job it’s going to be difficult, hell if you move almost any place without a job it could be difficult, not impossible but difficult. However, don’t try and pass off your other comments as truths because they’re not, they’re your opinion and experience. Next time title your post, “my experience” because that’s exactly what it is, your experience, it’s not mine and obviously it’s not others either. My experience has been pretty kick-ass and I’m not even a gambler, drug addict, whack-job (at least I don’t think I am) or otherwise goofy or damaged, imagine what a good time I’d be having if I was!

I think the good news is I’m not sure how much credit someone reading the original post will give truths coming from someone who admits they were tricked into moving someplace – “I feel I was one of those people who let the illusion of vacationing here trick me into wanting to move here.”

To quote Joe Dirt, “life’s a garden, dig it”
I wish I could rep you again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
While there is not one central zoo, all of the following places in Clark County provide an opportunity to see wild animals and marine life up close.

1. Shark Reef Aquarium at Mandalay Bay
2. Roos-N-More Zoo in Moapa
3. Lion Habitat Ranch
4. Siegfried & Roy's Secret Garden & Dolphin Habitat at The Mirage
5. Springs Preserve
I would add that Bonnie Springs Ranch is a cute place to visit with a petting zoo.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:26 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkieMcCain View Post
Explain the cheap buffets at Sams Town. I pray to god you not getting it be cheap by being a memeber of the exclusive BIG LOSERs club........................i live in realville, not some hokie pokie world where people think casinsso giving them free stuff.
You do know, that even in "realville", you can simply ask the desk for a card and they will give it to you, right? You don't have to be a gambler, and it saves you a couple bucks here and there. It is the same as a supermarket savings card, or do you not believe in those "losers clubs" either?

Old 07-30-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Quit both for six months then if it's so easy.
Why would I stop doing something I can afford, and that I enjoy? I have no desire to live a monastic life, thanks..

Old 07-30-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Why would I stop doing something I can afford, and that I enjoy? I have no desire to live a monastic life, thanks..
He just wants you to suffer needlessly like he is. You know, because misery likes company.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:56 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
If you don't "live to do either" as you stated, then it should take no effort whatsoever to put either habit down for awhile. But we both know that isn't the case.

My point being that there is a large subset of Las Vegans who love this city because their addictions are tolerated here more readily than elsewhere. Do you think for a moment that mindlessly playing video poker while chain smoking would fly in other cities? Here, it's the local sport!

Last edited by ScoopLV; 07-30-2015 at 09:04 AM..

Old 07-30-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
Unless you like burgers and Mexican food, cook at home – Really? Scoop where do you work, In-N-Out or Taco Bell?

You don't see locals at fine dining on the Strip. A few here and there. But mostly it's tourists. Locals are endlessly debating the finer points of the el cheapo buffets. Just look at the food posts here. It's always about what's cheapest.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
If you don't "live to do either" as you stated, then it should take no effort whatsoever to put either habit down for awhile. But we both know that isn't the case.

My point being that there is a large subset of Las Vegans who love this city because their addictions are tolerated here more readily than elsewhere. Do you think for a moment that mindlessly playing video poker while chain smoking would fly in other cities? Here, it's the local sport!
That is like me asking you to stop eating steak for 6 months (assuming you're not a Vegan). Sure you could do it, but why would you?? You don't LIVE to eat steak, but, if you are carnivorous, I'm sure it's something you enjoy.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:22 AM

698 posts, read 986,543 times
Quote:

And this was a surprise to you once you moved here; or did you move here thinking you could change the city one social smoker/gambler at a time?

He's not breaking any laws, enjoys it, and is responsible and not hurting anyone why is it such a big deal to you? Because it isn't your cup of tea so it shouldn't be others either? World would be a pretty boring place if we were limited to only the likes and dislikes of one man don't you think?

Curious, are you employed by a business that benefits from either local tourism or gambling? If so how do you reconcile this with your strong position against the "local sport?" It seems to me that would go against your strong personal ethics and a man of your conviction would never compromise their personal ethics for monetary gain, that is generally beneath them and never an option for them . . . at least someone who is truly committed and doesn't just talk the talk so to speak.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:24 AM

I'm not suggesting that "steak really isn't my life." If I was endlessly going on about fast food, you'd have every right to suggest that maybe I'm addicted to fast food, and perhaps I should put my money where my mouth is if I claimed that even though I eat fast food 10 times a day, it "isn't my life."

Basically, you're just blowing right past the point I'm making about addiction, Las Vegas and happiness. I think there are more than a few people who love this city because Las Vegas tolerates those who are drunk by noon, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas