Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 10:11 AM

625 posts, read 797,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflower View Post
I'll admit, I feel I was one of those people who let the illusion of vacationing here trick me into wanting to move here. Also, my spouses family lives here (has for a long time), so we also had that. Not to mention they spoke highly of living here compared to the east coast, and other cities where cost of living is more expensive. I guess its easier to hype up a place that you've been majority of your life.

But its really depressing moving here. Unless you have a job lined up, or have connections be prepared to take at least 2-4 months job hunting. For every job opening there are at least 100 applicants. I had a job lined up but my spouse didn't. I've never lived anywhere that has a public transportation system but certain jobs won't hire you unless you have a car. Even though a bus stop is 10 feet away. If you're bilingual, that will help boost up your chances. They cater to the Mexican community here.

Public schools are a joke. a bigger joke than anywhere else.

There is really nothing to do but gamble, see shows if anything good is out, party, swim if youre lucky to have a pool, or walk the strip or Fremont street. WHICH WILL GET OLD FAST. And before any vegas locals jump on here to defend this comment, yes... I've done more than visit the strip. There is nothing social outside of these options. Once you're about 5 miles outside of the fun there is nothing but suburbs, desert, mountains, and fast food joints.

Drivers are retarted. You are guaranteed a fender bender at most within your first year living here.

Unless you like burgers and Mexican food, cook at home.

Yes, cost of living is cheaper, the weather is nice (OCTOBER THROUGH APRIL), and violent crime is laughable compared to where im from. Unless you sell drugs, do drugs, or just hang around the wrong people you will be fine. Las Vegas can be a good place to live, but it isn't as perfect as the locals make it seem. You will not escape your problems moving here. Unless you have family or friends already, you will be lonely. There is no culture here, its a tourist hot spot for a reason. Just as many people move in as they move out.

My conclusion? Think before you move here. chances are you'll be packing it up within 5 yrs anyway.
And there it is. Why would anyone think they could move anywhere and their problems go away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 10:12 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post
And there it is. Why would anyone think they could move anywhere and their problems go away?
I didn't even catch that.. but yes, that explains quite a bit..

Old 07-30-2015, 10:42 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
You don't see locals at fine dining on the Strip. A few here and there. But mostly it's tourists. Locals are endlessly debating the finer points of the el cheapo buffets. Just look at the food posts here. It's always about what's cheapest.
No, it isn't, it's about what's the best food for the money.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:43 AM

69 posts, read 116,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
No, sorry you didn't because it you did you would have known that Vegas is not even close to what DC is all about and don't try to tell me what DC got in snow the last 2 years, I have pictures from all my friends. Take it as a lesson for your next adventure.
We get a bad storm once every few years. not every year. most of the time predicted snow doesn't even happen. even still, we have bad weather 3 months out of the year. so does vegas in the summer. people who hate the east coast just love exaggerating.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:44 AM

698 posts, read 986,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
StinkieMcCain, quingguy, nickydim...it's not a "PC game". The word is offensive and should not be used. There is no infringement on your First Amendment Rights by asking you not to use an offensive term, if there was a law saying you couldn't use that word then that would be an infringement...please go back to law school. By using such a word and tolerating it you are part of the problem and not the solution.
I think what is being missed is I CHANGED the word the OP's used that some find offensive TO a generally accepted PC term by the PC community that is not offensive. I intentionally DID NOT use the word the OP used so I wouldn't offend.

Can't please everyone in life.

@LV10101 you should address your offensive concerns with the OP not me as I did the PC thing, unless you have an issue appearing to be at odds with someone who shares your views on this city.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:46 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflower View Post
We get a bad storm once every few years. not every year. most of the time predicted snow doesn't even happen. even still, we have bad weather 3 months out of the year. so does vegas in the summer. people who hate the east coast just love exaggerating.
I have never experienced a day of bad weather in Vegas. I enjoy the rare little bit of snow like we got in Henderson this past winter and I enjoy the 112-115 degree days as well. And I have enjoyed everything in between.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:50 AM

635 posts, read 746,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
I think what is being missed is I CHANGED the word the OP's used that some find offensive TO a generally accepted PC term by the PC community that is not offensive. I intentionally DID NOT use the word the OP used so I wouldn't offend.

Can't please everyone in life.

@LV10101 you should address your offensive concerns with the OP not me as I did the PC thing, unless you have an issue appearing to be at odds with someone who shares your views on this city.
We may agree on Las Vegas but saying "I don’t believe the mentally challenged are allowed to drive here." is not PC or correct. Please don't stereotype or assume what you are saying is correct.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:54 AM

698 posts, read 986,368 times
Quote:
We may agree on Las Vegas but saying "I don’t believe the mentally challenged are allowed to drive here." is not PC or correct. Please don't stereotype or assume what you are saying is correct.
Then take it up with the OP not me as I did not use the term that by some is thought of as offensive. Looking forward to seeing that post.

Last edited by qingguy; 07-30-2015 at 11:02 AM..

Old 07-30-2015, 10:57 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,007 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity, I looked it up on the website of the American Association on Mental Retardation (which is the correct term, by the way, it doesn't matter if you choose to be offended by it or not, that's your choice). You are correct that there is no limitation to driving, as long as one can pass the test.

However, I don't believe the OP was talking about ACTUAL mentally retarded people (or however she spelled it)..

The American Association on Mental Retardation defines someone as mentally retarded if they 1) have an IQ below 70-75; 2) are limited in two or more adaptive skill areas (daily living skills needed to live, learn, work, and play in the community); and 3) if the condition is present from childhood (defined as age 18 or younger). An estimated seven million mentally retarded people live in the United States.

Mentally retarded individuals have the same legal rights to marry, drive cars, and own homes as any other American, says Dr. Richard Redding of the University of Virginia's Institute of Law, Psychiatry, and Public Policy, and they need not pass any competency tests. So long as a mentally retarded individual can pass the DMV tests, he may drive a car; so long as he can pay the rent, a mentally retarded person may live where he pleases.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:01 AM

146 posts, read 220,717 times
Since when has the LV forum ever been a haven of a** kissing for the city? I feel like there's plenty of mud slinging for Vegas in here. I don't find the OP's initial post to be any sort of relevatory moment or any of the posts thereafter. Vegas has poor education, blazing hot weather, lots of cigarettes, questionable characters, corrupt government, lack of culture, tacky sight seeing, economical issues, and plenty of sleaze. On the flip side it's affordable, sunny, entertaining, and close to LA. Oh well. It's Vegas, for better or worse. I feel like Ive known all of these things since I was probably a pre-teen and I'm pushing 30 now. Why are people acting like they're schooling everyone? I feel like this thread has been more of an exercise in people's psychological state than anything.

Vegas is a problematic city. But name your utopia, go to their designated section on citydata, and watch people moan about (insert issue here) ad nauseum for page after page. You can be happy or miserable anywhere, it's on you. You can move and still be miserable too. Some ppl just thrive on beng negative and airing out their moany agendas to try and convince others that they shouldn't be happy either, and if they are, something's up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas