Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 09:14 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
wrong, there isn't an exodus.. more are moving in than moving out....the population is going to exceed 40 million... the ones who can't afford are moving out, the ones who can are moving in....

http://worldpopulationreview.com/sta...ia-population/

I must have missed the part where SAN FRANSISCO took over the whole state....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 09:24 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I must have missed the part where SAN FRANSISCO took over the whole state....

They aren’t running from San Francisco either

https://sfist.com/2019/05/07/bay-are...a-not-so-much/

Old 05-10-2019, 09:47 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,357,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
It didn't destroy anything. It is a fact that for the last several years there has been a steady flow of businesses and jobs from SF relocating to Utah just as it is a fact many of the employees of said tech jobs have, and are, following the workflow TO Utah. There are countless news articles about it as well as a quick Google search of the Silicon Slopes in Utah to verify. Or, alternately we can continue living the delusion that jobs and people AREN'T leaving the feces capital of America San Trashcisco.
Not sure Utah is the preferred choice for Californians looking for greener pastures. Have you a reference link supporting that? I debate it because Utah, home of the conservative Latter Day folks, culturally, would not seem a good fit for those from California.

Now if you say they are going to the big Texas cities, that I believe because, contrary to what many believe about Texas, the big cities are not staunchly conservative at all. Austin is the tech center of the sunbelt with large campuses/buildings there for EA Sports, Oracle, Amazon Web Services, Apple, Facebook, WalMart Tech, Dell/VM Ware, Samsung, and Google.

Toyota North America, Kubota Tractors, and Fluor Engineering have left southern California for Dallas/Fort Worth.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Squeezed out by retarded laws, taxes, and homeless population growth.

https://www.sfgate.com/expensive-san...n-12563337.php
I'm not seeing all this explosive Silicon Slopes growth based on the table below:
SLC - City only:

Austin, Texas - City only:

Old 05-10-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Then why is the population increasing?
Like NY, Boston, D.C., you have foreign born and net births over deaths as the reason for rising population in California. Domestic migration growth is to the Mountain West (Colorado, Boise, Arizona, Nevada) and the sunbelt states, mainly, Florida, Texas, and Georgia (really, metro Atlanta).

Old 05-10-2019, 10:18 AM

949 posts, read 572,604 times
I would be more concerned with the poor build quality caused by stress on resources and pressure to complete and sell.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:28 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah, I’m with EA. No thanks! You can go live in a place where it costs $1.25M for a shack and you get taxes to hell as homeless people shoot up and poop on your doorstep, I’ll pass on that! I can’t think of a worse place to live.

PS: For a Vegas real estate agent not to know there’s a California exodus proves they have absolutely not a clue what they’re talking about and are out of touch with reality. That’s not an opinion, it’s a fact, and I don’t argue with facts as people who don’t accept facts are just not worth the time. CA is losing population except by birth and immigration, there are more people leaving than moving there. You should know that since 50% of people moving to Vegas are from CA and if anyone should know that, it’s an agent. Unbury your head from the sand my friend.
Of course I understand the migration patterns out of CA. I also understand the tech patterns. I ran a major engineering division of a Fortune 50 before I retired. I would think a third or so of our buyers are Californians.

I lived for just short of 20 years in the southern CA coastal plain. My wife and I used to ride our tandem to Seal Beach. But one of the reasons we ended up in Las Vegas was that we decided to get out of the coastal plain. Simply too damp and misty. Very nice between mid September and Thanksgiving. The rest of the year simply too cool and gray. We actually came close to moving to more inland CA but finally decided that Las Vegas was a better deal. For our first five years here we kept our boat in Long Beach which in a lot of ways was an ideal situation. Could not make that work however with the Real Estate.

The flow of retirees to Las Vegas has gone on forever. We being an example. LV offers better housing at very much lower cost and the escape from the CA income tax.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:29 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Not sure Utah is the preferred choice for Californians looking for greener pastures. Have you a reference link supporting that? I debate it because Utah, home of the conservative Latter Day folks, culturally, would not seem a good fit for those from California.
While Utah is a Red State, Salt Lake City is one of the most liberal cities in the country. It is about as Blue as you can get.

Nearby Park City is home to many ex-Californians, and Park City is a solid Blue city. Park City is a very desirable place to live, as it doesn't have the horrible air pollution of Salt Lake City (to drive between the two, you go over high altitude Parley's Pass on I-80; the smog stays down in SLC), is close enough to commute to bio tech & high tech jobs in SLC (about a 20 minute drive) close to the airport (35 minutes), has great public schools, and of course is home to Park City Mountain Resort and Deer Valley Resort.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:31 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I'm not seeing all this explosive Silicon Slopes growth based on the table below:
SLC - City only:
There is something wrong with your image links.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:36 AM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
More like squeezed out by rising housing (and really everything else) prices. Unless you make a lot of money SF is just not affordable.

SF was much worse standard of living wise previously, and people didn't bail. The same here in NYC. What pushes people out in unaffordability.

Quote:
Squeezed out by retarded laws, taxes, and homeless population growth.

https://www.sfgate.com/expensive-san...n-12563337.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas