Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2019, 07:30 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinVegasHeights View Post
Just crunching numbers a little, if I make 30 bucks an hour in LV, it seems like I would need 50 bucks an hour to maintain a comparable standard of living in California.

I loved being in the bay area as a youth and then as a teenager(usually just summers) in the eighties , but I can't imagine trying to return there now without a six figure income.
You can still buy a nice townhome or even a halfway decent sfr on your income in Las Vegas. With a spouse earning even minimum wage it becomes even easier.

In Los Angeles on $50 an hour you will be hard pressed to be able to buy anything. And if you do, it will be over an hour commute or in a crap neighborhood. In SF I think you’re actually considered low income.

If I was starting over again, I think I’d have to move out of state. Staying with my parents in LA and with what rents are...I don’t think I’d ever reach the point where I could move out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 08:16 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Depends on where you are. When I was working, I was right on the bay with a true million dollar view of a boat harbor, and still the building didn't even have AC because it was needed maybe 5-6 days a year.

My Electric bill is about $450/ mo in SD with a pool and 2 EVs without running any AC. My house in SD is about 10 miles inland and it can get hot there in the summer but I very rarely run AC and never at peak. The rates are $0.52/kwh at peak (4-9pm may-oct) and $0.10/kwh 12am to 06am (for charging EV), with the rest at about $0.26/KWh. My house in LV that is about the same size averages about $120/mo with AC, EVs and pool. The rate for LV that I have is $0.11 at worst but $0.044 for almost all use. I use about 50% more elec in LV but overall costs to me is about 1/4 as much. SD is 3-10 times more expensive per KWh.
I don't see how those rates are possible in Las Vegas unless you have a very small home. I lived in Northern Nevada and our bill combined gas and electric ranged from $250-$400 a month. We now live in Sacramento and have Smud. Our average electric bill in Sacramento is $60, gas is PG&E and averages $30, our home here is about 500 sq ft smaller than our home in Nevada.

Peak TOU rates in Southern Nevada $0.44/KWH. (noon to 7) In Sacramento peak rate is 5-8pm and is $0.28/KWH. Our average electric bill in Sacramento is $60, gas is PG&E and averages $30. I just can't make the math work for what you are saying, unless you are talking about the 200 days when the weather is mild in LV, but the summer has to kill you with those tou rates.

San Diego is a bit of an outlier for California, their utility rates are very high and I'm not sure why the residents of San Diego haven't tried to do something about it (or maybe they have and I just haven't heard about it)

Old 05-14-2019, 09:06 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Some day, I'm going to create my own new-home builder business constructing only 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath, 1.5 car garage, single-story, detached homes, all under 799 sq. ft. . Eliminate the hallway, please, 3 bedrooms connect directly to the Great Room. Main entrance door opens at the right/left side of wall with narrow walkway. When you enter, you will immediately see 3 bedrooms and doors connecting directly to the Great Room at opposite end of side-wall, kitchen at front corner of house, laundry room located in kitchen (stackable only) next to kitchen sink with separate pull-out closet door, powder room left side of kitchen near entrance door, and main bathroom right side of kitchen. One main large drain pipe to sewer is all you need. Most 2-story new homes today can come with up to 5 main drain pipes (why?), and pass the extra cost to you.

I squeeze in over 1,000 brand-new, under 799 sq. ft homes (with only one, single floor plan type), built into one community onto one parcel land, which also easily bond neighbors and make new friends so closely. HOA fee never more than $30-$40 per month with no pool, in addition to creating my own lending mortgage company with the only standard 50-year term mortgage out there. This business will be successful to many first-time African-American home buyers, while uniting diversity. How hard is that...

Will people buy our sub-799 sq. ft. new homes if I charge always up to $100,000 less than any major builders' starting price, because they build the houses too big, that's why? If buzz is strong with demand, and I can afford to build identically and match to DR Horton's Express quality using only one universal 799 sq. ft. floorplan (meaning, everything base option with only white interior paint, no option or upgrade is available), let me know...?
So, what is your target price? $100,000 less than what? And where in Las Vegas? I think you haven't thought this through very well. Lots of unanswered questions, some of which you yourself ask. "Build it and they will come" doesn't always work.

What happened to your resort in the middle of Nevada? //www.city-data.com/forum/nevad...h-between.html

Old 05-14-2019, 09:16 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't see how those rates are possible in Las Vegas unless you have a very small home. I lived in Northern Nevada and our bill combined gas and electric ranged from $250-$400 a month. We now live in Sacramento and have Smud. Our average electric bill in Sacramento is $60, gas is PG&E and averages $30, our home here is about 500 sq ft smaller than our home in Nevada.

Peak TOU rates in Southern Nevada $0.44/KWH. (noon to 7) In Sacramento peak rate is 5-8pm and is $0.28/KWH. Our average electric bill in Sacramento is $60, gas is PG&E and averages $30. I just can't make the math work for what you are saying, unless you are talking about the 200 days when the weather is mild in LV, but the summer has to kill you with those tou rates.

San Diego is a bit of an outlier for California, their utility rates are very high and I'm not sure why the residents of San Diego haven't tried to do something about it (or maybe they have and I just haven't heard about it)
Time of use program. Jun-oct 175 average. Nov-may. 70 average. 2700sf 3 floor with pool facing west

Old 05-14-2019, 10:01 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Time of use program. Jun-oct 175 average. Nov-may. 70 average. 2700sf 3 floor with pool facing west
I understand TOU, I even gave you the TOU rates to compare, but I can't see how you end up paying so little. I have a friend who lives in Henderson and we had this discussion last year. She said to keep a 2k sq ft house at 78 during the day and 80 at night it costs her $400 a month during the summer, and she doesn't have a pool. Are rates different in Henderson?

Old 05-14-2019, 10:12 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
I understand TOU, I even gave you the TOU rates to compare, but I can't see how you end up paying so little. I have a friend who lives in Henderson and we had this discussion last year. She said to keep a 2k sq ft house at 78 during the day and 80 at night it costs her $400 a month during the summer, and she doesn't have a pool. Are rates different in Henderson?
I have a 3,000SF home and a pool. My year round bills average about $275 though they peak in the summer around $450. We do not use the time of day programs...just straight $0.12 per kwh.

I would however point out that the utility bills on 2,000SF in Sun City Aliante are under $100. Our favorite inspector points out that the attic temperatures in that tract do not exceed 105 compared to the normal 140 he encounters in most places.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:34 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,195 times
I have a 2000sf house with a pool and with TOU my year round average rate is around $120. Summer is $175-$250/month and the rest of the year is usually around $50-$60.

In full disclosure, during summer, I rarely turn on the AC during the peak period (usually at work anyways). The 6pm-7pm hour during summer gets hot (85F) at my house.

Quote:

Old 05-14-2019, 10:39 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I have a 2000sf house with a pool and with TOU my year round average rate is around $120. Summer is $175-$250/month and the rest of the year is usually around $50-$60.

In full disclosure, during summer, I rarely turn on the AC during the peak period (usually at work anyways). The 6pm-7pm hour during summer gets hot (85F) at my house.
That’s how it’s done. Crank it during off hours. Everything off during peak.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:10 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,945,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
So, what is your target price? $100,000 less than what? And where in Las Vegas? I think you haven't thought this through very well. Lots of unanswered questions, some of which you yourself ask. "Build it and they will come" doesn't always work.

What happened to your resort in the middle of Nevada? //www.city-data.com/forum/nevad...h-between.html
I like to be a game changer after I hit my celebrity status as musician, but nothing has been confirmed yet. I feel the same way and angry with the housing market that there is no such thing as a new starter home with a 50-year mortgage.

Most likely, my new less than 799 sq. ft., 3 bed, 1.5 bath, 1.5 car garage community will be built in central-California than Las Vegas, due to severe housing shortage there, and has less competition. Prices will start at low-$200,000 range after inflation-adjusted by year 2030, but you will get our industry's-first 50-year mortgage term instead of standard 30-year, which lowers your monthly payment quite a bit than any other builders.

Last edited by waltchan; 05-14-2019 at 03:04 PM..

Old 05-14-2019, 02:15 PM

755 posts, read 399,437 times
I thought all mortgages in California were 60 years, 30 for the original buyer and 30 for their heirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas