Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 02:05 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,837,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
So..... My property taxes are $900 a year. Nlv is a bargain
Nevada is a bargain. My taxes in OR are over $4,100. My taxes in NV $500 (but it's just a condo).

Old 10-04-2011, 02:07 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Than that may where the problem lies. Property taxes may be too low
fine, my clark county Las Vegas home is 1600. When you own property, you will understand.....

Old 10-04-2011, 02:09 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
fine, my clark county Las Vegas home is 1600. When you own property, you will understand.....
Suggest that there be a TAX on Renters equal to property taxes and see where he lands

Old 10-04-2011, 02:29 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
Quote:
Granted I dont own any property yet, I was simply stating and opinion thats all. I guess NLV is a bargain, I'd like to know how Tij came up with saying the NLV has the highest PT's in the valley

Old 10-04-2011, 03:49 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Vegas definitely has more of a free for all feel to it to me. That's not to say there isn't any sense of community. As Pink pointed out, one can easily feel very welcome if they set out to create connections. What you point out here is actually what I believe to be the problem. There are a number of smaller communities (usually wealthier) within the larger area known as Las Vegas that have stronger community ties. Largely due to the fact that people made large investments and your neighbors aren't changing every other month. What you end up with though is islands of community within a larger city that tends to not feel all that cohesive at times. This is made worse by people feeling they need to live in gated armed guarded communities.

Crime also gets disproportionately reported on the news which I'm no stranger to coming from the Boston area. Boston was ranked the most depressing news in the whole country in either '09 or 2010. A good majority of the threads here even reflect people's fears of being targeted by crime in hopes of moving to the 'utopia area of Las Vegas'.

Additionally, a solid proportion of minorities seem to be concentrated in certain areas of the city and people (mostly white) don't want anything to do with those areas. Again though, there's a whole bunch of cities like this.
All in all, as usual it is people's irrational fears and beliefs such as that hardly anyone stays here or that it's a ghost town which create or take away from a solid sense of community for the city as a whole.

Do you think the white residents who live in "better" areas of Las Vegas choose to avoid these areas due to racial prejudice towards minorities? Im not accusing you of saying that, but that quote made me think. Granted there are some areas of LV that have high concentrations of minorities, they are really spread out all over the valley

Ex, Centennial Hills has a LOT of African American residents (proximity to North LV maybe?) but its certainly not a bad area (in spite of whats been on the news lately)

There is riff raff of every race. When I lived off Twain and Swenson, some of those most undesirable looking, crazy, dangerous criminals, homeless, lowest of the low were mostly caucasian

Now I am not racist by any means, and granted I am white and live in a "good" area of Las Vegas, but I choose to avoid areas east of I-15 because they are simply not good areas. Race has nothing to do with me wanting to avoid them. My old neighborhood in Orlando is upper middle class and heavily hispanic, but its a great area nonetheless.

All I'm saying is that what you pointed out that the more "affluent" white residents who are living premium lifestyles in Summerlin and Centennial Hills avoid the "ghetto areas" made me wonder how racially prejudiced some of them actually are, or if they simply choose to avoid that area because of its reputation and race has nothing to do with it. I would certainly hope it was the latter, but then again even in 2011, with a black president we have racism everywhere still

As I said, I am not racist. If you're a chill person and got a good head on your shoulders, who cares about race. My last gf was African American and my current one is hispanic nd a majority of my friends are minorities

I'll stop now before I set off any bombs and get myself banned

Old 10-04-2011, 04:29 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
North Las Vegas is on a supersonic jet headed for the next upcoming list. A reported 346 police officers up there, at 92K a year + benefits, the police chief making more than the governor, reportedly the highest property taxes in the valley. Go do the math! Tick-tick-tick goes the clock!

Recalling their union-kissing Mayor Shari Buck, will it help matters? Too little, too late?

You can only raise traffic fines (a form of tax collection) so much and push the building inspectors (tax collectors at their worst) to find the tiniest infraction in a business and sock em' with fines!
Please provide some sort of documentation to the reported salary and benefits of NLVPD. According to my their website the top step pays $81K. It would be possible based on this if someone was topped out, worked graveyard shift and was a FTO they could make $92K (or if they were pulling down substantial amounts of overtime) but to suggest that the majority of officers make that without backing it up is not exactly making an intelligent argument, particularly when you make the contention that NLV has the highest property taxes in the valley (considering that all property tax rates are levied by the Clark County Assessor, property tax rates are consistent across the valley). Bear in mind that I'm not necessarily arguing against your original point, simply the egregious claims that you make to support your original hypothesis. Before you respond to this post I would like you to do your research and please realize that I do have friends that work for NLVPD as well as work colleagues that are former employees, both commissioned and civilian.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:38 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Please provide some sort of documentation to the reported salary and benefits of NLVPD. According to my their website the top step pays $81K. It would be possible based on this if someone was topped out, worked graveyard shift and was a FTO they could make $92K (or if they were pulling down substantial amounts of overtime) but to suggest that the majority of officers make that without backing it up is not exactly making an intelligent argument, particularly when you make the contention that NLV has the highest property taxes in the valley (considering that all property tax rates are levied by the Clark County Assessor, property tax rates are consistent across the valley). Bear in mind that I'm not necessarily arguing against your original point, simply the egregious claims that you make to support your original hypothesis. Before you respond to this post I would like you to do your research and please realize that I do have friends that work for NLVPD as well as work colleagues that are former employees, both commissioned and civilian.
"Police officers in the city average $92,400 a year in salary, plus $50,300 a year in benefits. Police supervisors up to the rank of chief average $147,700 a year in salary, plus $72,600 in benefits.

North Las Vegas laying off 21, closing recreation centers - News - ReviewJournal.com

Old 10-04-2011, 08:29 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Well some say North Las Vegas may be in financial trouble, some say not. But we can all agree on North Las Vegas or even Las Vegas wont ever be on this list.

America's Most Dangerous Cities, 2011 - Yahoo! Real Estate

Old 10-04-2011, 08:59 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Well some say North Las Vegas may be in financial trouble, some say not. But we can all agree on North Las Vegas or even Las Vegas wont ever be on this list.

America's Most Dangerous Cities, 2011 - Yahoo! Real Estate
Huh? It was number 4 on that same exact Forbes list just 2 years ago....

In Pictures: America's Most Dangerous Cities - No. 4 Las Vegas, Nev. - Forbes.com

Old 10-04-2011, 09:26 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
An intersting piece I ran across. The Perfect Storm...

Las Vegas is to the real estate bubble what Detroit was to the US automobile industry

What really brings it home on a personal level were the comments at the end by Belindabg...

As a victim of the demise of Las Vegas, I can only say that the worst part of all of this is the complete disregard for all those people who bought homes, thinking we were doing the ‘right’ thing. I bought a total of three homes in Las Vegas; one in 1994 which is worth a lot less than the 175K I paid for it new; a condo in Henderson purchased in 2004 which has since been foreclosed by Chase Bank in the MIDDLE of their negotiation process for a Loan Modification that they never gave me; and one of the beautiful high-rise security condos on the south end of the Strip, bought in 2004 for 380K and now on the market for an abysmal 85K with NO TAKERS.
In the economic collapse, I lost my 250K per year career, my marriage, all three of my homes, my health, and my life savings. I NEVER DID ANYTHING WRONG. I didn’t buy at the peak of the market, I had great cash reserves in excess of 150K, and my credit was stellar – no funky loans. But when I lost my job, I spent my savings floating the mortgage payments (in retrospect, a big mistake, I should’ve walked earlier and taken care of ME, because these dishonest Lenders never did). Husband of 17 years walked out when I lost my job and money and couldn’t support him anymore. My parents lost 5 rentals (their life savings) and the strain brought back Mom’s cancer – she died six weeks later from a brain tumor. Dad is 80 and freaked out.
I have a herniated disc in my back and can’t find work in an economy where there are NO JOBS. Four years ago I had a home, two rentals with positive cash flow, a marriage, a wonderful career where I was earning more every consecutive year, health insurance, and a bright future. Now I’m 50, unemployed, bankrupt, all my savings is gone, properties are foreclosing, and I have nowhere to go and no place to live. What are people like me supposed to do??? I have two friends who were in this same boat who have already committed suicide.
I guess for some of us, that’s the ONLY light at the end of this tunnel. I hope the perpetrators of this ‘credit scheme’ ROT IN HELL and DIE A HEINOUS DEATH – THEY DESERVE IT.

So sad....so very sad.

Last edited by jfkIII; 10-04-2011 at 09:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas