Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 08:44 PM

990 posts, read 1,654,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am sick of freezing at night and then cooking during the day even though I set it at 75. I signed a 15 month lease, and I am not going to live like this. I am not going to burn the place down or anything like that, but at this point I am going to take matters in my own hands and install a new digital thermostat myself, whether I am allowed to or not.
I'm sure that you have looked up how to do it. You are probably brighter than the maintenance man.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:49 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,314,068 times
Quote:
I am sick of freezing at night and then cooking during the day even though I set it at 75. I signed a 15 month lease, and I am not going to live like this. I am not going to burn the place down or anything like that, but at this point I am going to take matters in my own hands and install a new digital thermostat myself, whether I am allowed to or not.
Just make sure none of the wires touch each other or you will pop the fuse on the AC unit. The fuse is typically a 10 cent automotive type fuse, but you have to open the main AC panel to get to it. I've replaced several mercury thermostats with digital and they are pretty straight forward. Move one wire at a time to the new thermostat and you should be fine.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:58 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I'd be okay with a GS camp overrun by cats! I grew up with a TON of cats when I was a kid (at one time we had 22. Yes really) It was other things in the woods (bugs, mostly) that I had an issue with.

My best friend's mom was one of the GS leaders and one campout we were getting our sleeping bags out in our tent. On the underside of the cot, right where my head would be above, was a HUGE spider nest. I FREAKED! My friend's mom switched cots with me and went to sleep with her head inches away from the nest. I had trouble sleeping at all in the same TENT with potentially 1000s of baby spiders hatching.

We also had to use latrenes (sp?) and go hiking...SO not me. I like to be outside, but I am not outdoorsy. (see my status)

Another memory. One campout we stayed in the lodge because it was too cold to sleep in the tents (Aw, what a shame!). it was a big house with a kitchen, etc. The night of the campout was the same night as the day the TV show Dallas was going to reveal who shot JR. One of the leaders brought a portable TV and we all had to be quiet from 9 to 10 while they watched that show. I was 8
I don't remember being too afraid of spiders, but now...no friggin way would I have slept in there...anywhere! I would have to make sure that whole thing was OUT of there! My arachnophobia has worsened over the years! Yes, I remember the latrines...yuck...we had days we had to clean them. I still hate that cleanser smell. We called them "grounders". lol

Old 06-21-2012, 09:08 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
I'm sure that you have looked up how to do it. You are probably brighter than the maintenance man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Just make sure none of the wires touch each other or you will pop the fuse on the AC unit. The fuse is typically a 10 cent automotive type fuse, but you have to open the main AC panel to get to it. I've replaced several mercury thermostats with digital and they are pretty straight forward. Move one wire at a time to the new thermostat and you should be fine.
I am just mad that they would not do this themselves, especially considering all the rent I pay. Although not really true as I would lose all my stuff, I almost wish I did cause a catastrophe installing it just to say "see, if you would have just put a new digital thermostat in yourselves, none of this would have happened." Regardless, I will safely follow directions and put it in myself. It should arrive early next week, and I will be a much happier camper after that.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:07 AM

Some people are just plain sick. It breaks my heart to read something like this:

Teens under investigation for allegedly drowning kittens - www.ktnv.com

Old 06-23-2012, 06:19 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I'm with you. I do not like camping. I don't need a 5 star resort but I do need to sleep indoors!
Add me to the list.

My idea of "roughing it" is staying at a Holiday Inn or its equivalent.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:38 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Add me to the list.

I've often said the same but use "Motel 6" instead. Though I have stayed at many Motel 6 motels and they are just fine with me!

Old 06-23-2012, 10:24 AM

419 posts, read 907,259 times
Quote:
Some people are just plain sick. It breaks my heart to read something like this:

Teens under investigation for allegedly drowning kittens - www.ktnv.com
yes, that is absolutely pathetic....I wonder if the parents are aware, experts say youths who
torture and abuse animals often become serious criminals as adults. It's one of the most
noted indicators for future social predators.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:12 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Add me to the list.

LOL, that was what my father said 30 years ago.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
After reading the manual for it online, I decided it is not something I want to attempt. I went into the office today and told them I bought a digital thermostat myself. They said that is ok since I paid for it, and they said they will install it for me for free. I got myself all worked up over nothing.

Last edited by las vegas drunk; 06-23-2012 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas