Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 07:50 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Forget Jaguar, get yourself a real vehicle like the Geo Metro. The superb styling will have all your friends with sweaters tied around their necks drooling with jealousy.
Wonderful long-lasting memories! Back in the late 90's, you could rent these at Airport Rent-a-Car, the coupes or the sedans, and the coupes had 5-speed transmissions.

I used to rent these and drove all over the SW with these cars that, seemingly, ran on air and were so peppy, and attractive! I've always wanted one! And deck it out with chrome sports wheels!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 PM

87 posts, read 210,670 times
Ha Ha, The Jaguar Roadstar was definitely on my bucket list for a long time. It started when you could actually afford one as a middle income person. The dollar was oh so strong relative to everyone else's. :-(
After college, I did trade in my Volkswagen for a Porsche roadster and had lots of fun driving, sometimes half loaded, around Illinois farm roads at unspeakable speeds or even on the Interstates. This thing was used and a Porsche dealer's mechanic said the words I'll never forget, as he shook his head, "it is just DOWN, DOWN," in a German accented English.

I then traded that for an exotic, red and chrome 1965 Corvair that lost most of its value in the USA when Ralph Nadler used it for his reputation-making book, "Unsafe at any Speed." Lucky for me, I shipped it with me to Argentina where small crowds gathered around it anytime it was parked in public. Actually, I talked to Juan Fangio, famed Formula I driver, and he said it was a good, safe car. Of course GM paid him to come to the USA to test drive it, to prove that point, but I proved it better in three accidents. Try to repair a one-only car in any country.

Well, I can go on with my poor choices of combustion engine powered transportation systems that have met my bucket list expectations.

My advice is to focus on one really good car, start a special investment account just for that and save until you can buy the car in cash. However, sometimes you will do better, financially, with one that is two or three years old. Whenever that day approaches, check out the Consumer Reports and Edmonds of the future as by then the car you wanted my no longer be around or it may be junk.

When I wait in line at the passenger pickup at Macarren, it seems to me most people in Las Vegas drive HUGE SUVs. For what, I would like to know.

Last edited by agreeableone; 04-04-2012 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: Typo, name of book, and last line

Old 04-04-2012, 08:19 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreeableone View Post
Well, I can go on with my poor choices of combustion engine powered transportation systems that have met my bucket list expectations.
We all have a list of poor choices -- mine was a Renault 18i. What a POS.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:41 AM

208 posts, read 350,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Mine was a 1966 Diane...high maintenance POS. Cost me 1/2 of everything I owned...now I lease

Old 04-05-2012, 06:48 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
My first car was a 1985 Renault Alliance. It was a cute, boxy little car that smelled like maple syrup and would suddenly just stop running for no reason. You would just have to park it and try again later

Traded that in for a 1984 Firebird Formula. Red, V8. Man did I LOVE that car. Got pulled over for speeding many times...only got one actual ticket.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:20 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
Quote:
Mine was a Dodge Omni (1st car). Absolute pos! It seems like every American car I bought (and I've had plenty) was a pos. best foreign... Scion due to unbelievable resale value

Old 04-06-2012, 01:01 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Read in the paper today, Metro issued 200,000 traffic fines in the Valley last year. 2 million divided by 200,000 is 1 of 10. Subtract those that ride buses, don't drive, the underaged, not car owners, what does that work out to? 1 in 5?

200,000 with a $100 fine multiplies to $20 million. X $200 = $40 million. And what do they do with all that $$?

Last edited by tijlover; 04-06-2012 at 01:04 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 04-06-2012, 02:10 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And what do they do with all that $$?
Buy more donuts.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:39 AM

328 posts, read 726,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreeableone View Post
Ha Ha, The Jaguar Roadstar was definitely on my bucket list for a long time. It started when you could actually afford one as a middle income person. The dollar was oh so strong relative to everyone else's. :-(
After college, I did trade in my Volkswagen for a Porsche roadster and had lots of fun driving, sometimes half loaded, around Illinois farm roads at unspeakable speeds or even on the Interstates. This thing was used and a Porsche dealer's mechanic said the words I'll never forget, as he shook his head, "it is just DOWN, DOWN," in a German accented English.

I then traded that for an exotic, red and chrome 1965 Corvair that lost most of its value in the USA when Ralph Nadler used it for his reputation-making book, "Unsafe at any Speed." Lucky for me, I shipped it with me to Argentina where small crowds gathered around it anytime it was parked in public. Actually, I talked to Juan Fangio, famed Formula I driver, and he said it was a good, safe car. Of course GM paid him to come to the USA to test drive it, to prove that point, but I proved it better in three accidents. Try to repair a one-only car in any country.

My advice is to focus on one really good car, start a special investment account just for that and save until you can buy the car in cash. However, sometimes you will do better, financially, with one that is two or three years old. Whenever that day approaches, check out the Consumer Reports and Edmonds of the future as by then the car you wanted my no longer be around or it may be junk.

When I wait in line at the passenger pickup at Macarren, it seems to me most people in Las Vegas drive HUGE SUVs. For what, I would like to know.
Where in the farm roads of Illinois?

Old 04-07-2012, 09:17 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,570,019 times
Anyone got bad allergies this year? Last year I seemed to dodge the allergy problem but the year before that as well as 2012 seem to be really bad again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas