Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 01:01 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
Way to impress the ladies.

You know it. I demanded some repayment (wink wink) for that expensive night out.

In all seriousness, we've been together a long time and the need to needlessly blow money on each other has passed. Every now and then it's nice to do something fancy and over priced but by and large we both prefer to save money to go on trips to places like Zion or see a good show.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:00 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
If you call being aware of unsanitary conditions in some Mexican dental clinics then label me paranoid. No one implied that the yard man would be the dentist.
I remember watching a segment on 20-20 or some such TV Magazine about 20 years ago or so. Until then, the practice in the USA was to put dental implements through an autoclave at night to sterilize everything. Instruments during the day were cleaned between patients with sterilization solutions that worked fine. Or so everyone thought.

Here and there, the CDC uncovered a few cases of HIV where there were no known transmission vectors, and concluded it must have come from dentists.

A dentist who had been attempting to get the ADA to change its policy to require every instrument to be autoclaved prior to patient use (not just at night supplemented by a sterilization solution between patients) showed 20-20 just why it was important.

I remember the visual.

He showed standard teeth polishing equipment we've all had used on us when we go to get our teeth cleaned. Or maybe it was the drill for drilling a cavity - I don't recall precisely. He showed the tooth polishing head (or drill head) emerge from sterilization solution in which it had soaked in excess of the amount of time required. He explained to the 20-20 interviewer how this implement is now sterile for use on a new patient according to ADA practices.

Then, he attached the head to the motor, submerged the head in water & turned it on -- and after a few moments, red blood (maybe it was dye for the camera) emerged from the so-called sterilized implement coloring the water.

The explanation was that capillary action during use on a prior patient would "suck" blood and other bodily fluids into tiny crevices, and that the sterilization solution wouldn't get into those tiny crevices.

However, he showed an implement removed from the autoclave, submerged it in water & turned it on - and everything was clean. The super-hot steam under pressure truly sterilized & cleaned the implement.

SO.... starting then I only booked dental appointments to be the first patient of the day, ensuring as best I could that I would have used on me only implements fresh out of the autoclave.

Within a few months of that 20-20 airing, the ADA changed the practice requirement so that ALL instruments must be autoclaved between patients.

SOooo.... the real question is what the practice is among dentists in Mexico. At any rate, if I needed dental work while being outside the USA, I would do my best to be the first patient of the morning on a Monday -- keeping my fingers crossed that dental equipment was indeed autoclaved over the weekend.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 04-20-2012 at 10:18 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 10:14 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
... The $3 part isn't a special deal. It's just how much the movie tickets always go for. ...
Wait... you mean anyone walking up to the theater (no groupon deal) just pays $3 for a ticket? Wow. I think I have a new favorite movie theater!

Old 04-20-2012, 11:01 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Wait... you mean anyone walking up to the theater (no groupon deal) just pays $3 for a ticket? Wow. I think I have a new favorite movie theater!

$1.50 a ticket. $3 for the two of us.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:54 PM

762 posts, read 1,562,724 times
I am back from the most awesome trip to Disney world and new Symrna beach. So fun! We saw all 4 parks, we walked 1000000 miles (so it seems) and then at the end laid on the beach or played in the waves. Even though New Symrna has the notorius reputation for being the #1 beach for shark attacks.

The day after we got home my husband went to emergency for 8 hours. So much for a vacation. LOL
He is fine and I was rested so I could deal.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:47 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Default Meetup?

I'm going to be in town for a few days (Apr 29-May 2). Anyone want to meet up downtown Sunday night (Apr 29)? A couple of folks from here are already on board, anyone else want to say hi?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:14 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Yippy-I-Yo-Ky-Ay! They're bringing the Tribute groups back to the LVH, after an abscence of a year. I got hooked on these groups a couple years ago when they were appearing so regularly, found out the tribute groups can be better than the real thing! And so much cheaper! But, my favorite, Aeromyth, is not on the Spring/Summer schedule. I plan on going to most of them.

Tonite: the Abba tribute group! Off I go!

Old 04-21-2012, 05:56 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Yippy-I-Yo-Ky-Ay! They're bringing the Tribute groups back to the LVH, after an abscence of a year. I got hooked on these groups a couple years ago when they were appearing so regularly, found out the tribute groups can be better than the real thing! And so much cheaper! But, my favorite, Aeromyth, is not on the Spring/Summer schedule. I plan on going to most of them.

Tonite: the Abba tribute group! Off I go!
Fun! I saw an Abba tribute a few years ago, they were great!

I recently saw a Michael Jackson tribute called Who's Bad? when thet played here on St Patrick's Day. They tour all over the US, so if they end up in Vegas I recommend seeing them.

The Australian Bee Gees are also great!

Old 04-21-2012, 04:37 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,291,990 times
Just got back from Green Fest/Town Square Earth day celebration. Lots of freebies, demonstrations, live music in 2 different area's. A recycled fashion show: showing off fashions by recycling items into clothing. Plus much more.
The best part for me was getting to pet the baby chicks! So cute. Many colors. It's a new group promoting "Chicks in the city", getting your eggs from your backyard chickens, instead of factory farms. I told them it could never work where we live because of the HOA. She said "What is with all these HOA's out here." It's the way of the world now it seems, especially in newer communities.
It was HOT out there.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:58 PM

15 posts, read 21,495 times
HOA's are a friggin nightmare out here. If your car is the wrong color they're writing you up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas