Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 11:54 AM

1,966 posts, read 4,340,294 times

Advertisements

Glad to see that eyesore on Sahara/LVBlvd. is finally being torn down.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:09 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
The three stooges here have been given good advice time and time again here on the forum. It seems to fall on their deaf ears. All the good advice and intentions we offer will not help those that do not want to accept it and make proper decisions to improve their life.
"...how many psychiatrists does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Just one, but the lightbulb has to want to be changed."

Old 04-24-2012, 01:08 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Three Stooges.

Aqua-While I felt bad for much of his plight here, a lot of it was self-inflicted by an overwhelming sense of grief over the loss of his mom. I don't think he ever really recovered well from that. He did have plenty of opportunity to right himself, but he was foolish. Hopefully, being married has given him some direction (even if it isn't what you or I would choose).

LVD-being an addict is a whole different ball of wax. There is no norm but to be buzzed. Throw in being alone and it is even more reason to drink. My guess (and I am no wizard) is that the girl told him he could come back if he would quit drinking. Most likely he agreed while feeling lonely, hungover, broken and emotional. That doesn't last long enough before the addiction overrides the emotion. Obviously, LVD, you do not wish to quit, so you will live as you do. I think you are a good person who has a bad addiction. Requires dedication, work and a willingness to want to change your life and dig out of the hole you will continue to be in. Most stay in the hole, it's easier and it is what they are used to.

Davie-got out of Dodge before he turned 21, drove across the US into a city knowing no one. Managed decently with a few bumps. Turned 21 in Las Vegas and new doors opened for him. Dang, that would change anyone. I think he did it well. Could have been much worse. I mean, c'mon...21 and free in Las Vegas???? First time away from the parental units!!! Davie will be fine if he can muster up the confidence to know he will and trust his instincts. He is a smart cookie. Nothing wrong with trying a few different things in your life before you get saddled with kids and a wife. Make mistakes and learn!!!

The only common denominator here is that they all laid their biz out on CD. I am sure some of it was edited for our viewing pleasure, thankfully. Lord only knows what all us other "stooges" have hidden.

I wish all three good luck, among other things, in their journeys.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Three Stooges.

LVD-being an addict is a whole different ball of wax. There is no norm but to be buzzed. Throw in being alone and it is even more reason to drink. My guess (and I am no wizard) is that the girl told him he could come back if he would quit drinking. Most likely he agreed while feeling lonely, hungover, broken and emotional. That doesn't last long enough before the addiction overrides the emotion. Obviously, LVD, you do not wish to quit, so you will live as you do. I think you are a good person who has a bad addiction. Requires dedication, work and a willingness to want to change your life and dig out of the hole you will continue to be in. Most stay in the hole, it's easier and it is what they are used to.

\
You're pretty close. She never said I had to quit drinking on the phone before I left for Phoenix. If I knew what was going to quickly transpire, I never would have left. She said I could not drink in the house. Over here, I always drink in the house so I knew I would have to cut down at least. However, when I got to her house, about 2 hours later I wanted to go to a bar that was in walking distance from her house (since I could not drink in the house). That is when all hell broke loose. She said I could not do it. She then said she does not want her son seeing me drunk even if I do the drinking elsewhere. The fact is she does not drink, I do, and it would never work because she is controlling. On the flip side, my best friend's wife does not drink, but she allows him to go to the bars every week with his friend's from work. She also allows him to come up to Las Vegas rather frequently while she stays home with the kids. My ex-girlfriend told me not only will she not go out with me drinking, but I cannot go out at all and drink. Forget that. Who the hell does she think she is, my mother?

Old 04-24-2012, 01:52 PM

Yeah. Well, I don't know about controlling as much as maybe she thought you were ready to be helped? I know, from experience unfortunately, that someone can not make someone else change. I don't bother with all that anymore, but I can't say I didn't waste my time trying. In my case, he probably thought I was being controlling also, but I thought I was helping. Plus, it was my house, my rules and I was not that hard. Didn't want a constant drunk around my kids either. Gave up that charade after about 3 years and 17 years later, he is still a drunk, with 3 DUIs and no license.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:14 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
.. I will just say it was $10,000 which is a lot of money to me. ...
Don't forget you might not net 10K because of inheritance taxes, for example. Or, perhaps the 10K is net -- just check so you don't have an unexpected tax bill.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Don't forget you might not net 10K because of inheritance taxes, for example. Or, perhaps the 10K is net -- just check so you don't have an unexpected tax bill.
I inherited $15,000 in 2005 when my mother died. Luckily, Nevada has no inheritance tax, and the IRS does not tax that amount. It has to be much higher so the $10,000 will be net.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:42 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You're pretty close. She never said I had to quit drinking on the phone before I left for Phoenix. If I knew what was going to quickly transpire, I never would have left. She said I could not drink in the house. Over here, I always drink in the house so I knew I would have to cut down at least. However, when I got to her house, about 2 hours later I wanted to go to a bar that was in walking distance from her house (since I could not drink in the house). That is when all hell broke loose. She said I could not do it. She then said she does not want her son seeing me drunk even if I do the drinking elsewhere. The fact is she does not drink, I do, and it would never work because she is controlling. On the flip side, my best friend's wife does not drink, but she allows him to go to the bars every week with his friend's from work. She also allows him to come up to Las Vegas rather frequently while she stays home with the kids. My ex-girlfriend told me not only will she not go out with me drinking, but I cannot go out at all and drink. Forget that. Who the hell does she think she is, my mother?
One lesson to be learned from this, is people......do.....not.....change!!!

The fact that she doesn't drink, has an attraction to alcoholics, says something about her. She could very well be an alcoholic herself, and she's subsconsciously projecting her alcoholism onto her partners. My sister refuses to drink, been involved with one for 40-50 years.

I had 3 past relationships with alcoholics, and I finally came to the painful conclusion, there's an alcoholic sitting in me somewhere, waiting to take off like a missle!

I learned from finally going to Al-Anon, that when you finish a relationship with one alcoholic, there's an 80% chance your next partner will also be an alcoholic. That statistic was might hard to swallow!

So what does that say about your ex-girlfriend's next partner?

Overall, I appreciate alcoholics, as they tell me they are spiritual, have unresolved spiritual problems. Alcohol/drugs are classified as negative spirits, and some day, perhaps, they may turn to the more positive aspects of spiritualism. My great drink, for many years, has been Tantric Bhuddism.

Last edited by tijlover; 04-24-2012 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 04-24-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
One lesson to be learned from this, is people......do.....not.....change!!!

The fact that she doesn't drink, has an attraction to alcoholics, says something about her. She could very well be an alcoholic herself, and she's subsconsciously projecting her alcoholism onto her partners. My sister refuses to drink, been involved with one for 40-50 years.

I had 3 past relationships with alcoholics, and I finally came to the painful conclusion, there's an alcoholic sitting in me somewhere, waiting to take off like a missle!

I learned from finally going to Al-Anon, that when you finish a relationship with one alcoholic, there's an 80% chance your next partner will also be an alcoholic. That statistic was might hard to swallow!

So what does that say about your ex-girlfriend's next partner?

Overall, I appreciate alcoholics, as they tell me they are spiritual, have unresolved spiritual problems. Alcohol/drugs are classified as negative spirits, and some day, perhaps, they may turn to the more positive aspects of spiritualism. My great drink, for many years, has been Tantric Bhuddism.
The funny thing is I met her in a nightclub back in 1996 on my 21st birthday. She used to drink. When I last saw her in 2008 we also went to a nightclub and she was drinking. I do not know what happened to her, but I definitely want the old her back!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:21 PM

Ahhh...but it just might be better to have a new you, instead of an old her back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas