Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 04:21 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
When someone suffers from high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, heart disease and some other things, it's not genetic, it's the same recipes being handed down from generation to generation. Less than 5% of the population in the entire world has a genetic trait that they hand down. People just like to blame their bad habits on something, makes them feel better. And a doctor telling you it's genetic, they make more money that way prescribing pills, procedures and surgery.
They can't make money on healthy people. Think about that one for awhile.

Those conditions are not always genetically based, but it is certainly well documented that it is in some cases. If those conditions are present in someone's family, it makes more sense for that person to manage diet, exercise, etc., than the average person without the family history, but everyone should.

And EVERYONE who has children hands down countless "genetic traits" to them. Only some are pathological/disease oriented, but that less than 5 percent figure is something you pulled out of the air. And, some positive physiological traits are handed down, too. Genetics are a significant part of why some people are healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
I think you might have you % underestimated. Genes on chromosomes are the building blocks of life.

True.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:52 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I am in LA and it is lovely. I see why people pay so much.
I'll be there next Tues./Wed. but with no car! Stinking lazy traveler here! Fly to LAX, ($39 one way on SW), free Green Shuttle to the Green Line light rail stop, get my $5 TAP card (good for 24 hours) and light rail it all over.

Hungry for some modern art, spend some time at the new Broad Museum next to the Disney Concert Hall, take the tram down to Central Market for a pig out. Stay overnite at the Pagoda Inn in Chinatown, with 25-30 eateries to choose from.

Next day, take the Gold line to downtown Pasadena, check out some thrift stores, used bookstores, and on way to Airport, check out a mega used bookstore in downtown L.A., and grab some baked goodies in Little Tokyo.

For the lazy travelers who don't want to drive to and around L.A., the light rail Expo line has been extended from Culver City to downtown Santa Monica. The Crenshaw line is still under construction going south from Koreatown, and it'll be awhile before they extend the subway from Koreatown to UCLA.

I love, love, love riding light rail, hop off, wait 15 minutes, another comes by, hop in, and these light rail trains in L.A. can hit 79 miles per hour!

Old 08-08-2016, 09:30 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,126,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'll be there next Tues./Wed. but with no car! Stinking lazy traveler here! Fly to LAX, ($39 one way on SW), free Green Shuttle to the Green Line light rail stop, get my $5 TAP card (good for 24 hours) and light rail it all over.

Hungry for some modern art, spend some time at the new Broad Museum next to the Disney Concert Hall, take the tram down to Central Market for a pig out. Stay overnite at the Pagoda Inn in Chinatown, with 25-30 eateries to choose from.

Next day, take the Gold line to downtown Pasadena, check out some thrift stores, used bookstores, and on way to Airport, check out a mega used bookstore in downtown L.A., and grab some baked goodies in Little Tokyo.

For the lazy travelers who don't want to drive to and around L.A., the light rail Expo line has been extended from Culver City to downtown Santa Monica. The Crenshaw line is still under construction going south from Koreatown, and it'll be awhile before they extend the subway from Koreatown to UCLA.

I love, love, love riding light rail, hop off, wait 15 minutes, another comes by, hop in, and these light rail trains in L.A. can hit 79 miles per hour!
We should have had something like this decades ago. Unfortunately, corruption and NIMBY happened.

I just got back from the Bay Area after several months. People there really like their BART. And not just poor people either. A couple of my students in either Pleasanton or San Leandro took it each day to come to class. They lived in San Francisco and Oakland respectively and didn't usually have to come to that location.

They said it was 30 minutes door to door. Of course, we had a BART station practically on our campus, so that helped.

Have fun on your trip!

Old 08-08-2016, 10:51 PM

I was looking at the prices for one way's to either L.A. or San Francisco, not much difference, for a 2-day getaway, but I just can't get excited about San Francisco, having made 2 trips there the past 3 years.

My estimation, always, is San Francisco is the pretty city to visit, L.A. is the interesting city to visit, I'll take an interesting city to visit, any day. And with all those high tech'er's relocating from the Silicon Valley to downtown San Francisco, there's no more diversity left, as the high rises keep marching south on Mission Road into the Mexican district.

They did recently add an expansion to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, and that would be the main reason to go there.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:03 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,120,926 times
I went with a friend. It cost him 40-45 in gas round trip and we were driving pretty aggressively in a Jetta (I know, driving aggressively in a Jetta is an oxymoron) He lives at Craig/15 so from the very north end of Vegas to the beach, up and down PCH and back for 40 bucks is pretty good. Got about 27mpg. I have a rental Versa that should get 40+ on the highway. Probably cost me 25-30 bucks to get there and back. Will probably take the family in a few weeks. Maybe spend the whole weekend and see more of the city. We mainly stayed in Newport.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:17 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Those conditions are not always genetically based, but it is certainly well documented that it is in some cases. If those conditions are present in someone's family, it makes more sense for that person to manage diet, exercise, etc., than the average person without the family history, but everyone should.

And EVERYONE who has children hands down countless "genetic traits" to them. Only some are pathological/disease oriented, but that less than 5 percent figure is something you pulled out of the air. And, some positive physiological traits are handed down, too. Genetics are a significant part of why some people are healthy.

True.
Most of the time the "genes" they inherit medical wise are from what they eat. If your parents ate it and their parents ate it, and their parents, and so on up in the family tree, and you do it too, you will all most likely suffer from the same diseases. Now all of a sudden, one family member does not get any of the diseases, is healthy, lives longer than the rest and no one can figure it out. They changed their diet, whereas the rest of the family all ate the same.
Now hereditary factors such as eye color, hair color, skin tone, etc, are usually inherited, along with the shape of a persons face, nose, ears, hands, feet, etc, and some traits will skip generations.
From what I have learned in my many years on this earth from reading almost everything known to man, I have learned much more than I ever thought I would. I do not give much credence to a doctor wanting to test for all the things the parents had, their relatives and so on, when most of the time it's diet/lifestyle.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:54 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,725,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Most of the time the "genes" they inherit medical wise are from what they eat. If your parents ate it and their parents ate it, and their parents, and so on up in the family tree, and you do it too, you will all most likely suffer from the same diseases. Now all of a sudden, one family member does not get any of the diseases, is healthy, lives longer than the rest and no one can figure it out. They changed their diet, whereas the rest of the family all ate the same.
Now hereditary factors such as eye color, hair color, skin tone, etc, are usually inherited, along with the shape of a persons face, nose, ears, hands, feet, etc, and some traits will skip generations.
From what I have learned in my many years on this earth from reading almost everything known to man, I have learned much more than I ever thought I would. I do not give much credence to a doctor wanting to test for all the things the parents had, their relatives and so on, when most of the time it's diet/lifestyle.

That's not really true because I am living proof of genetics. I have slightly high cholesterol that I inherited from my mother. Our family diet has been good for at least two generations since my mother who is a retired MD that conducted clinical research on supplements and nutrition for 25 years then set up and ran a nature path practice for 15 years before retirement. She made the family eat right and it carry over into adulthood. Then I was inflicted with type 2 diabetes at 46 inherited from my father. My pancreas has decided not to function properly. I not overweight at all with correct BMI percentage so insulin resistance due to fat is not a factor . Actor Tom Hanks was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in the last couple of years.
While I agree that diet and lifestyle choices is the major cause of these infliction's for the majority but there are people out there inflicted that are trying to control the issues with diet and dont receive the same results.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:08 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Everyone in my family is at least partially deaf and we all wear hearing aids.

What food should we have, or have not, eaten to prevent deafness?

Old 08-09-2016, 10:07 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I was looking at the prices for one way's to either L.A. or San Francisco, not much difference, for a 2-day getaway, but I just can't get excited about San Francisco, having made 2 trips there the past 3 years.

My estimation, always, is San Francisco is the pretty city to visit, L.A. is the interesting city to visit, I'll take an interesting city to visit, any day. And with all those high tech'er's relocating from the Silicon Valley to downtown San Francisco, there's no more diversity left, as the high rises keep marching south on Mission Road into the Mexican district.

They did recently add an expansion to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, and that would be the main reason to go there.
San Fran is usually 19.00 each way via frontier. I think about 60 on sw

Old 08-09-2016, 11:18 PM

If, when, I go to San Francisco I'll check out Frontier, although I won't fly on an airline with big gaps in their schedules.

I'm a diehard Southwest flier, only because, they always have so many flights, each day to San Diego, L.A., and San Francisco. That way, if a flight is cancelled, you don't have to hang around too long for another flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas