Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2019, 08:32 PM

108 posts, read 73,135 times

Advertisements

So did you guys enjoy the rain we got today?

Old 05-07-2019, 08:49 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,113,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscapeAritst View Post

No I hate rain.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:57 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscapeAritst View Post
I am loving it. Spring storm rolling through... the best.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:00 PM

108 posts, read 73,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
No I hate rain.
Last time I complained when we had lots of rain for days, the locals acted like I said something horrible. "We need the water, the lake is too drained." I tried to explain to them that only snow from the mountains will help with the drought and rain doesn't help that much.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:54 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Love it when it rains, but it smells terrible.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:09 AM

23,211 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Quote:
I filled up at 3.99 in Torrance last night.
I'm waiting, waiting, waiting for photo uploads of what you saw riding the light rail trains in the L.A. area. A TAP card only run $8, good for all day, and also good for any bus ride. Give your car a rest some time when you're down there and kick back riding the trains all day. See something interesting en route, hop off, and another train comes by 10-15 minutes later. There's a big parking lot at the Norwalk station, hop on the Green Line there, head west to the Blue Line and then it's your choice: south to Long Beach, north to downtown L.A. Hungry? Get off at the Pershing Square station, walk one block to the Central Market which has been there for a hundred years.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:24 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,630,923 times
Quote:
Man, being in LA makes me really appreciate vegas.
I got woken up to the most annoying birds I've ever heard and a dude mowing his lawn at 7am.
None of that happens in Vegas. I'll keep my calm quiet heat.
Hahaha I love this comment. Every Thursday where I live now before moving, it’s landscape time and that means annoying edge clippers because god forbid the grass slightly touch the sidewalk and mowing and leaf blowing and I don’t even know what else. That’s why I chose a neighborhood with desertscape and a house nowhere near any grass. I get old people think 7 am is a fantastic time to mow the lawn and I also get once it hits the legal time, nothing I can do or say about it, but as a night owl who wakes up at noon or later many days, I don’t want to put myself in that position. It’s one reason I don’t at all mind tiny lot sizes because almost no matter the climate, it prevents outdoor space from being a thing. We have the HOA manage the front lawns and nobody is allowed to touch their own, and nobody here has a backyard at all, so at least it IS just once a week (Thursday) we get woken up early but that’s still 52 days a year of annoyance.

I for one love deserts and xeriscape. Nothing better than a zero maintenance cactus or some cement and gravel

Old 05-08-2019, 11:40 AM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm waiting, waiting, waiting for photo uploads of what you saw riding the light rail trains in the L.A. area. A TAP card only run $8, good for all day, and also good for any bus ride. Give your car a rest some time when you're down there and kick back riding the trains all day. See something interesting en route, hop off, and another train comes by 10-15 minutes later. There's a big parking lot at the Norwalk station, hop on the Green Line there, head west to the Blue Line and then it's your choice: south to Long Beach, north to downtown L.A. Hungry? Get off at the Pershing Square station, walk one block to the Central Market which has been there for a hundred years.

I'm not a peasant so I won't ride the stupid train.
I don't live in the 1800s so I have no need to ride a train.
I don't want to go by someone else' schedule so I won't use public transportation at all.

I don't know why you're obsessed with trains so badly.

Trains are good for exactly 1 thing. Transporting large amounts of cargo at once.

I spent 4 days there including 2 week days. I drove from i15 to Torrance. I drove to Redondo and Hermoso beaches twice. I drove All around Palos Verdes twice. I drove out through Long beach. I drove all around Torrance to get parts and food and such.
I didn't even hit traffic til I was leaving. There was a slight hold up where 405 hits the 605 and then there was a wreck on the 210 that slowed things down a bit but I was still moving.
I will say that it does take a little longer to cover a distance there than it does here.
Harbor freight is 3.8 miles from where I was staying.
Harbor freight is 3.8 miles from my house here.
It took 15 minutes to get there in LA and 5 minutes here. Not because of traffic but because everything is a side street and there's a bajillion red lights.
However, I never once sat through multiple light cycles like I do here.

Last time I drove around Hollywood, Burbank, down to long Beach and then just through random areas. I hit a smidge of traffic but nothing worse than here. Not now anyway.
Granted I didn't drive through downtown at rush hour so that might be really bad. But my point is there's absolutely no reason to ride a stupid train.
Why on earth would I go park my car somewhere, walk to a train, figure out which trains I need to switch to, wait around for trains to show up, just to be dropped off NOT at my destination so that I have to walk to where I actually want to be AND pay for it to happen? I can't even explain to you how stupid this is. Occam's razor...

Old 05-08-2019, 11:14 PM

23,211 posts, read 29,023,557 times
You never seem happier than when you have your hands on a steering wheel.

I'm planning a trip to L.A., taking the overnight Amtrak from Tucson to downtown L.A., then switch to the light rail, subway lines. You can call me very, very, very lazy!

Old 05-08-2019, 11:33 PM
EA

I like to be in control. If I see something I want to photo I stop and photo it. If I see something I want to check out I pull over and do it. Can't do that with someone else driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas