Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2019, 02:15 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times

Advertisements

Eating all their favorite foods and drinking their favorite drinks, with all their best friends.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:19 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,277,377 times
Blissed out at the Aria spa in the sky.

-------

I'm all stressed out about moving. Wish we had answers from jobs. I'm not sure what to do. Have to decide by tomorrow as it's the last day to give 30 days notice, or extend the lease.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:30 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Counting down the days until I can move to Vegas. It’s like a shuttle entry from space - rough ride on the way in. The next 3 months will suck. My dad has been an absolute selfish narcissist and in typical fashion for people like that, I’m sure he’s blissfully unaware of his behavior. He lives in a 20,000 square foot house all to himself, even has an attached apartment with separate entry / exit, and he didn’t want us staying there between houses for 6-7 weeks because we might cramp his style with the ladies if he happens to have any dates. He’s 77. You’d think he’d want to spend more time with his son before he moves out of state? I thought it would be nice, we’d get more dinners together and sports and whatnot. I’m less angry than I am sad, it just hurts my feelings when it feels like you’re basically saying that’s your priority. But what am I going to do, argue or press to stay with him? You don’t want to stay with someone who doesn’t want you there, how awkward would that be?!?

He owns 2 apartment complexes in town, I’m a partial owner at one of them, but it’s too expensive and they’re doing upgrade work that makes it noisy and not a real option. So I asked about the other one, where I’ve stayed before and it’s down the hill from his house. My dad just delegates this kind of thing, doesn’t even help himself, so the manager who is my age and I’ve known him since we were kids calls me today. Last time I stayed there, also between houses, I got 30% off and it really helped. I was told no discount, “but we could pay the utilities.” It’s already a more expensive apartment complex than others, so that doesn’t help much. Beyond that, there are no vacancies even with that, so he said well I’ll keep checking every day and see if something comes up. I need to be out in 40 days, so I’m really going to wait around and see if something becomes available even with no rent discount?

So we’re going to get an apartment across the bridge in Washington near my fiancé’s family most likely, that way it’ll be too hard to visit my dad the last few months anyway which I’d prefer because I don’t really care to see him. I’m looking forward to moving to a new state where his brother and sister are polar opposites of him in Henderson and the nicest people you could meet. My aunt said I could use her casita any time in August when I’m down there for closing on the home. It’s amazing people who have so little by comparison can be so generous and awesome, and someone who has so much can be the ultimate selfish jerk. On the plus side, I’ll pull off living in 3 states within one year. I’ve never lived in WA so I’d like to complete the West Coast trifecta

Old 06-16-2019, 12:20 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Do you think it's really neighborly to be on a neighborhood forum (not this one) and try to find out about something by asking a question, only to be attacked and insulted for doing so? By a lot of people. I know now that I would never want to hang out with any of those morons for any reason. Who are all these people moving here and being rude? Where are they coming from? And how can we get them to move back there?

Old 06-16-2019, 07:57 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,848 times
Hi PinkString. I am an occasional participant on this and other forums and on some of those "neighborhood" sites. I can tell you there has been an alarming increase in the general nastiness and closed mindedness everywhere.

Discussions quickly devolve to personal insults and sometimes threats. People have their views and opinions and are very intolerant of others. Also, a lot of posts that are obviously meant to instigate arguments.

We moved from NY to LA and were considering LV. All three areas are showing this disturbing pattern.

I agree with you and others that it was different just a few years ago.

I will say that this thread has maintained the highest level of decency and generally pleasant conversations of all the threads I follow.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:12 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
I used to post all the time here. Now rarely.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:51 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Hi PinkString. I am an occasional participant on this and other forums and on some of those "neighborhood" sites. I can tell you there has been an alarming increase in the general nastiness and closed mindedness everywhere.

Discussions quickly devolve to personal insults and sometimes threats. People have their views and opinions and are very intolerant of others. Also, a lot of posts that are obviously meant to instigate arguments.

We moved from NY to LA and were considering LV. All three areas are showing this disturbing pattern.

I agree with you and others that it was different just a few years ago.

I will say that this thread has maintained the highest level of decency and generally pleasant conversations of all the threads I follow.

I would hate to think it's just the way people are these days. There used to be kind and helpful people on the neighborhood site. Nextdoor.com. I think most of them just like to start fights or insult others because they derive great pleasure from doing so. I guess they do not care if they make someone feel bad.

If I cannot ask questions hoping to get an answer, then what is the point? It was a local issue, not sure google would have helped in that regard. I figured out the answer myself after going over different variables. But it would have been nice to get a nice helpful answer and do more research from there.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:54 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I would hate to think it's just the way people are these days. There used to be kind and helpful people on the neighborhood site. Nextdoor.com. I think most of them just like to start fights or insult others because they derive great pleasure from doing so. I guess they do not care if they make someone feel bad.

If I cannot ask questions hoping to get an answer, then what is the point? It was a local issue, not sure google would have helped in that regard. I figured out the answer myself after going over different variables. But it would have been nice to get a nice helpful answer and do more research from there.
I wasn't going to mention the name of the site, but now that you did.... We live in the North Hollywood/Studio City area. Every post ends up with some kind of argument.

Maybe it's the fact that people can hide behind the keyboard that brings out the worst?

Old 06-16-2019, 10:54 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,277,377 times
I agree this is the nicest forum I've come across. I can't get on NextDoor anymore as the app no longer supports my phone and I can't get an upgraded phone yet. I do like my neighborhood on the app though.

However, living in Portland has been hard on us these past two years. I wrecked my car, we had our motorcycle stolen, our place we live has seen crime and homelessness and problems with housing even though it's supposedly one of the good areas to live. The overall feeling of the town is unwelcoming because of being outsiders. They don't want people moving here anymore and it shows. From their media to encounters. I was hospitalized for depression as I get Seasonal Affect Disorder (SAD) here. Then everything blew up in our faces with my husband's work. So it feels like a waste of two years.

It's over crowded, over hyped and it's expensive to live here. At least I met a handful of good friends here that helped me bear all the bad news that came our way. I will be happy though to go back to Las Vegas. It feels like home and where I hope we settle for good. I love it there.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:23 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,058,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I agree this is the nicest forum I've come across. I can't get on NextDoor anymore as the app no longer supports my phone and I can't get an upgraded phone yet. I do like my neighborhood on the app though.

However, living in Portland has been hard on us these past two years. I wrecked my car, we had our motorcycle stolen, our place we live has seen crime and homelessness and problems with housing even though it's supposedly one of the good areas to live. The overall feeling of the town is unwelcoming because of being outsiders. They don't want people moving here anymore and it shows. From their media to encounters. I was hospitalized for depression as I get Seasonal Affect Disorder (SAD) here. Then everything blew up in our faces with my husband's work. So it feels like a waste of two years.

It's over crowded, over hyped and it's expensive to live here. At least I met a handful of good friends here that helped me bear all the bad news that came our way. I will be happy though to go back to Las Vegas. It feels like home and where I hope we settle for good. I love it there.

My dad had told me long ago to never move to Oregon because they do not want new residents. I did not take him serious at the time. He also said they will not even allow you to pump your own gas. This was in the 90's, so I am sure that has since changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas