Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 09:32 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuse View Post
What I've noticed up here in central ny, is people seem to be leaving the conventional churches and joining these huge/mega churches. I think they would be considered evangelical but not sure...they have strange names like "The church of nations" dont see any conventional protestant or catholic affiliations on them. They just built one on the way to work that could hold 2-3 football fields in it. The huge old Catholic churches are shutting down/consolidating all over the area. Not trying to comment on peoples beliefs or how they worship, just commenting on what appears to be a shift from past generations.
Meanwhile, back in Ohio and Michigan, everyone still seems to be catholic. All my relatives back there still adhere to the strict catholic upbringing we all had to endure growing up there. Every day on Facebook, seems like one of my cousins, second cousins third cousins etc are expecting yet another baby. Most of them are unhappy, just the ladies, not the guys. One just gave birth yesterday.

My Mom gave us a choice by the time we reached junior high. We were living in California by that time. If we wanted to stay in the catholic school or go to a public school for the first time ever, we chose the public one. I never looked back. A few of my family members are still catholic, some holy rollers, one is muslim, one worships aliens, and the rest just do their own thing like I do.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:57 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Default Broken down cars on the freeways...

I use 15, 95, and Summerlin Parkway to get to work every day, and I always see at LEAST one car broken down on the side of the road on my way to work, and at least one on my way home

I've seen it every single day since I have moved here 4 months ago

Is the desert climate THAT harsh on people's cars? I havent had a single issue with mine, and my car is used to a humid tropical climate

Old 10-10-2010, 01:17 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Nope, we have a lot of idiots here who don't maintain their cars. I have never broke down even once in Vegas and I drive old cars. I am very good with maintenance so that is the reason why.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:52 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
LVD-or, those people can't afford to maintain their cars. Car maintenance is like one more strike you're out to a lot of people. The straw that broke the camel's back. It is expensive. But you're right, it's totally necessary if you're gonna drive your own car. It's not "optional".

Old 10-10-2010, 08:54 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,244,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I use 15, 95, and Summerlin Parkway to get to work every day, and I always see at LEAST one car broken down on the side of the road on my way to work, and at least one on my way home

I've seen it every single day since I have moved here 4 months ago

Is the desert climate THAT harsh on people's cars? I havent had a single issue with mine, and my car is used to a humid tropical climate
Yes, the desert climate is pretty harsh on cars. The extra particulate matter in the air is a good reason alone to change your oil more frequently. Fortunately, most new cars are "stress tested" in Death Valley, so I think strides have been made in terms of durability in hot climates. In fact, you can usually spot auto manufacturers testing new models dressed up in camoflauge out there. There are often caravans of cars with tell-tale radio antennas and test mules with all kinds of external sensors.

A lot of people who take "spy shots" for the auto magazines and blogs like to hang out in Death Valley, hoping to catch a glimpse of next years sheet metal.

The #1 thing most people have to worry about out here are their batteries. They don't seem to last very long.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:49 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,022 times
Also can find many Dodge test vehicles driving up and down the 95 going North sometimes turning off at Cold Creek, turning of into the desert, or going past Indian Springs.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:55 PM

I maintain my car the same way I did in Florida, Oil changes every 3k, NEVER late, a wash and wax once a week to keep the dust off and im all set. My car hit 85k two days ago and runs great. Perhaps because the motor has 24k on it?

My car is running as good as it always has

Its either lack of maintenance, or poor quality but I notice a lot of cars cant take the desert heat

Back in July I drove from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, and I remember driving on I-15 in 110+ heat, keeping up with traffic (around 85-95 mph) and seeing countless Mercedes, BMWs, Audis, if it was an expensive european car, it was broken down on I-15 in the middle of the desert. ALL These cars were newer and much nicer than my 2003 Altima as well. I simply cruised by, with a normal engine temp, at 85 mph with the a/c BLASTING, even on the part of I-15 where they tell you to turn your air off on the Baker grade

After I saw that I decided if I ever buy a european car, I will not take it on a long trip, those cars are not made for that. If Im gonna spend $60k+ on a car it sure as hell isn't gonna break down in the middle of the desert. Those cars IMO are really only good for crusing around town and showing off to the other cars

I'll stick to my Nissan for any long trips, it can handle the extreme heat. Perhaps because being from FL it was already a hot weather car?

Old 10-10-2010, 04:09 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,770 times
Yep, definately see at least one car broken down on the roads every day.

The desert heat will most certainly shorten the life of batteries here. 2-3 years is about the average life expectancy just because they fry in the heat and the cells just wear out faster. Same with tires, they dry out much faster in this heat and should be replaced at no more than 3 years regardless of age.

My work van just passed 202,000 miles (2003 E-150), I only do synthetic oil changes, use a K&N air filter and just replaced the tires. I fully expect to get another 100,000 miles before getting a replacement van. Some people forget that we live in an extreme climate and don't adjust their vehicle maintenance accordingly which is why they are on the side of the road.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:26 PM

10 posts, read 27,634 times
Default Ungrateful People

Today I was in a "chain" grocery store, and the checkout woman was the most rude individual I have ever encountered. She could hardly acknowledge anything was going on around her (meaning customers, her job), but for the fact that she had to work a DOUBLE shift. The guy next to her had to as well. They both carried on their conversation griping and complaining about how much they had to work. I was obviously a bother to both of them, as I was getting in the way of the complaining session. All I could think of, was how many people would be grateful to be in that position....more work than they know what to do with.

Give up your job if it's getting in the way of your social life. Let someone else who really NEEDS it, have it. I'm sticking with the self checkout from now on. I know I can deal with myself and not feel as though I'm an intruder. In fact, I think I'll check out the competition down the street. Sorry SMITH'S...you need to do an attitude check on your employees.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlack View Post
Today I was in a "chain" grocery store, and the checkout woman was the most rude individual I have ever encountered. She could hardly acknowledge anything was going on around her (meaning customers, her job), but for the fact that she had to work a DOUBLE shift. The guy next to her had to as well. They both carried on their conversation griping and complaining about how much they had to work. I was obviously a bother to both of them, as I was getting in the way of the complaining session. All I could think of, was how many people would be grateful to be in that position....more work than they know what to do with.

Give up your job if it's getting in the way of your social life. Let someone else who really NEEDS it, have it. I'm sticking with the self checkout from now on. I know I can deal with myself and not feel as though I'm an intruder. In fact, I think I'll check out the competition down the street. Sorry SMITH'S...you need to do an attitude check on your employees.
The service out here at the grocery stores is not that good. Vons has the best service but they also have the highest prices. Albertson's is in a similar price range but has terrible service, that company as a whole has been in a free fall for years. Smith's is my personal favorite for their prices. The service is so-so. A lot of the employees however at the check outs seem to be pretty miserable

When I lived in Centennial Hills I used to frequent the Smith's on Ann and Decatur, everybody their knew me and took real good care of me and my gf whenver we shopped there. I loved it. The Smith's on Maryland Parkway and Sahara is awful, the interior of the store makes you feel like you're stuck in 1988, and a lot of the staff is just plain rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas