Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 10:48 AM

21 posts, read 32,687 times

Advertisements

In jest, of course....they are actually a really big help.

However, I may be moving to Vegas soon and all I read makes me want to turn around and stay where I'm at. It will be for a job, and I understand that is the main basis for everyone's concern. Hopefully its a safe and pretty secure position (I believe it is, else I wouldnt make the move).

But the more I read, the more it sounds like the world is ending in Vegas....cant find any jobs, high crime, tourism going away, local economy crumbling, that living in Vegas is nothing like what it seems traveling/vacationing to it, etc etc.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:05 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,243 times
You need to stop reading these forums.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:13 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer1 View Post
In jest, of course....they are actually a really big help.

However, I may be moving to Vegas soon and all I read makes me want to turn around and stay where I'm at. It will be for a job, and I understand that is the main basis for everyone's concern. Hopefully its a safe and pretty secure position (I believe it is, else I wouldnt make the move).

But the more I read, the more it sounds like the world is ending in Vegas....cant find any jobs, high crime, tourism going away, local economy crumbling, that living in Vegas is nothing like what it seems traveling/vacationing to it, etc etc.
You have to read carefully.

Jobs are a problem. Note though that half of the problem is in "growth" or the construction industry. If you are not in that industry it is still not good but it is livable.

Crime is down and never was bad. That is just something people pick up that is really not said by anyone knowledgable.

The strip just had a sizable up in August...21.1% on gaming revenue. The tourist thing has been down but not a lot...LV still maintains the best occupancy numbers in the US. The crowds on the strip have certainly not gone away.

Housing is a best buy. Likely at or very close to a low that will not be equalled in our lifetime. Retirees continue to come bringing money.

It is a nice southwestern city if you are gainfully employed. It has nice neighborhoods, parks, recreation what every you like. And it is easily available to the best entertainment and restaurants in the US.

And the damn spaghetti bowl is back up to quite congested in the morning rush. For a while you could get from my house in the NW to mid strip in 20 minutes. Now 35 as it used to be. Those people are going somewhere.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:34 AM

351 posts, read 836,954 times
Many of the negatives you read here are by people who vacationed in Vegas & now think they're experts. One of the daily visitors hasn't been here in 4 years, yet every day he posts negatives on this site. (Get a life, will you?)
Thank goodness my impulsive move here 2 years ago took place before I discovered this forum-I love it here! Vegas is a trip every day-you can be anyone you want here.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:36 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
What Olecapt said. If you have a job and enough money, it's a great place to be. Wonderful even.

But it's beyond miserable if you don't have enough money to get by.

Last edited by yellowsnow; 10-11-2010 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-11-2010, 11:41 AM

762 posts, read 1,561,760 times
Default Brides on 10-10-10

Yesterday was the day for weddings. I must have seen 10 brides at Mandalay Bay. They can all say they married a 10. Beautiful girls for sure

Old 10-11-2010, 12:00 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,490,387 times
yes...and half of the couples married on 07-07-07 are now divorced!

Brides to be married on November 11, 2011 (11-11-11) can then say they're marrying an 11.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:02 PM

21 posts, read 32,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
You have to read carefully.

Jobs are a problem. Note though that half of the problem is in "growth" or the construction industry. If you are not in that industry it is still not good but it is livable.

Crime is down and never was bad. That is just something people pick up that is really not said by anyone knowledgable.

The strip just had a sizable up in August...21.1% on gaming revenue. The tourist thing has been down but not a lot...LV still maintains the best occupancy numbers in the US. The crowds on the strip have certainly not gone away.

Housing is a best buy. Likely at or very close to a low that will not be equalled in our lifetime. Retirees continue to come bringing money.

It is a nice southwestern city if you are gainfully employed. It has nice neighborhoods, parks, recreation what every you like. And it is easily available to the best entertainment and restaurants in the US.

And the damn spaghetti bowl is back up to quite congested in the morning rush. For a while you could get from my house in the NW to mid strip in 20 minutes. Now 35 as it used to be. Those people are going somewhere.
Great post, thank you. I'm starting to look forward to it again...

Thanks all for the responses!

Old 10-11-2010, 12:07 PM

293 posts, read 641,471 times
It is a great place, that is why we are taking our three kids and returning in May from Ohio...All of us miss it a lot and can not wait to return...There are many on here that have thier comments and do not even live there or have never lived there and only visit a couple of times per year..Makes you think how much they lost when visiting

Old 10-11-2010, 12:10 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,490,387 times
O-H-I-O???? That's one of the few places harder hit than Las Vegas! No wonder you're moving back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas