Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2010, 01:39 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,320,826 times

Advertisements

Kimba, I'm sorry you disagree so strongly with me. But that's okay, we agree on many other things. I probably seem like a heartless, hardbutt to you but there's no one in my family that is an enablers. We were taught in childhood that life was tough and we'd better prepare ourselves for this world with good educations and job skills. If we made bad decisions with our money choices or didn't do whatever to support ourselves, damn, but our problem to figure out. But if one of us becomes the innocent victim of anything, everyone is there to help. That's the difference. Choices. And as far as the bil and sister, I cut them a great deal of slack. They're obviously dysfunctional people that know no better. Yet someone there has a soft heart and as differently as I see life, I would have made sure I never put myself in the position of being under their roof. We ALL have our own crosses to bear; we can let them become our personal albatross's that whip us or we can improve our attitude and say, "I can." I sincerely hope that now this is no longer a situation for Aqua, he can soon return to being an active, vital member of society and give back some of what he has so generously been given.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:25 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I ask you, right now, today, is the money it costs to make him feel like a whole man coming out of YOUR pocket? He has waited a long time for this and it does not matter if one person can get along with a bag or not, he couldn't. We are all different. I am truly happy for him.
I'm happy for him too.

But to answer your question, the money is coming from the government. Which is perfectly fine by me. I think that everyone in the country should be entitled to adequate health care.

However, what I find abhorrent is the hypocritical atitude of posters who rail against "big government" or the government providing social services of any kind, but then feeling perfectly fine when the government comes through for one of their friends.

Their philosophy appears to be:

government providing social services to strangers = bad

government providing social services to themselves, family or friends = good

Old 10-24-2010, 02:46 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,255,419 times
The program Aqualung is on below. Aqualung did not qualify for government assistance. I honestly do not know how this program is funded.

Clark County Social Service Home Page

The program I was on is all volunteer based and is not tax payer funded at all. They still require you to be employed and make less than 200% of the poverty level.

Volunteers in Medicine of Southern Nevada

Old 10-24-2010, 05:23 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,950,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I'm happy for him too.

But to answer your question, the money is coming from the government. Which is perfectly fine by me. I think that everyone in the country should be entitled to adequate health care.

However, what I find abhorrent is the hypocritical atitude of posters who rail against "big government" or the government providing social services of any kind, but then feeling perfectly fine when the government comes through for one of their friends.

Their philosophy appears to be:

government providing social services to strangers = bad

government providing social services to themselves, family or friends = good
I get what you are saying, but I was asking a question in answer to a question asked in another post.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:51 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,950,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Kimba, I'm sorry you disagree so strongly with me. But that's okay, we agree on many other things. I probably seem like a heartless, hardbutt to you but there's no one in my family that is an enablers. We were taught in childhood that life was tough and we'd better prepare ourselves for this world with good educations and job skills. If we made bad decisions with our money choices or didn't do whatever to support ourselves, damn, but our problem to figure out. But if one of us becomes the innocent victim of anything, everyone is there to help. That's the difference. Choices. And as far as the bil and sister, I cut them a great deal of slack. They're obviously dysfunctional people that know no better. Yet someone there has a soft heart and as differently as I see life, I would have made sure I never put myself in the position of being under their roof. We ALL have our own crosses to bear; we can let them become our personal albatross's that whip us or we can improve our attitude and say, "I can." I sincerely hope that now this is no longer a situation for Aqua, he can soon return to being an active, vital member of society and give back some of what he has so generously been given.
It's all good. Certainly no reason to be sorry. I just feel badly that there are such dysfunctional families out there. I don't see what is so wrong with being "there" for someone you truly love. But, I just don't "get" people who treat others so badly. They allowed him to move in until a certain date. They should have shut their nasty mouths and bided their time or just said no in the first place. I don't agree with the "don't know any better" thing either. As an adult, you don't know when you are doing or saying something hateful and spiteful? And hurting someone? My opinion, though.

In my family we were taught to do on our own also. No freebies, no handouts. That is fine and good and hopefully I will never HAVE to depend on anyone, BUT if I needed to, there is not a one that would say no. (there are a few who I wouldn't even ask, so I get that too) They may give a time limit (actually, I would set one up for myself) but they wouldn't hate on me during that time.

I am not making excuses for where Aqua is at in life, but tragedy DID happen to him and this can cause people to breakdown. Become depressed. Lose everything. This sometimes becomes out of control before you know it. Then because of the damaged emotional state of mind, you cannot figure out how to get it right. And it keeps getting worse. It just doesn't matter if one person can handle their mother's death and just grieve and jump back in life, because some cannot. They don't know at the time, that they cannot. It creeps up and overwhelms them. Then add in their own health issues and it can get downright difficult for some. Not everyone has the same amount of mental or physical or emotional strength. Personally, I think things should have been handled differently, but they weren't. Hopefully, there was a lesson there.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:16 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,585,319 times
Default My plan for the next few months

Get my TAM and gaming cards once I turn 21

Get NV plates and insurance

Get tipped position on the strip

Get better apt in better area. My top 3 picks in order from most to least. Centennial Hills, Summerlin, Henderson (Green Valley area). Im heavily leanings on Centennial

Get my finances back in order

I have a gut feeling Im going to get into a good tipped position once I turn 21. I can feel it.

Its gonna happen. Things are turning around

Old 10-24-2010, 09:21 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Its gonna happen. Things are turning around
yes ,good , ,
good luck!!!
you will get them...

Old 10-24-2010, 09:38 PM

990 posts, read 1,655,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You're making this a political issue when it shouldn't be. Health is not something to mess around with no matter if you can afford it or not. As recently as a few weeks ago I posted that I personally am on a free care medical program that I qualified for because of my low income. The current health care system is very corrupt so what are we supposed to do?
If you were a Libertarian you would accept full responsibility for your own health care and depend on no one else to fund it.

I know a lot about Libertarianism. I was an active party member in another state for 10 years. Most of the ones who attended the party meetings were business owners getting what they could from the government while verbalizing support for "personal responsibility."

Also they called people at the lower socio-economic ladder "drones." The people they could take advantage of to keep them rich.

I really don't know how I lasted as long as I did. Perhaps because I am a fan of irony and the meetings were full of it.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:48 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,786,425 times
Davie, yes it will happen. You have a great positive attitude.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:59 AM

762 posts, read 1,563,110 times
We had so much fun at the bite, got a autographed picture of Sara Bareilles. That is one beautiful park
prayers going out for Aqua. Speedy recovery to you. Life is so short and I am so glad you are getting yours back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas