Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 09:44 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,596,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
That is just it. When you and your husband were out toughening it out in school, I was out partying. It is my fault and now I am suffering the consequences. I cannot believe I am turning 36 this year and what I have become. I hope Davie reads this and does not make the same mistakes I have because it is not pretty.
Well I'm 37 and I consider myself still young. I actually plan on going back and getting my masters degree. Your life is not over, you have many years ahead of you. Why take living a life you do not love? You can still do something with your life. You could even go back to school and get a degree. Can't afford it? Get a student loan. There are ways to do it. Go to night school while having a job during the day.

I'm really sorry about your conditions and where you find yourself. Just like Davie, you can change your life if you put in a little elbow grease.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:45 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,570,566 times
Quote:
As most of you know, I work security for a very prestigious IT company. I have had my job now for over 4 years there. In that time, I have managed to make friends with some of the employees there that I talk with day to day. I will admit I am jealous of them since they can all live normal lives. They are very well off, and I wish I could even have half the lifestyle that they do. One lady who I now consider a close friend is my age literally owns three houses and a $70,000 vehicle. My life is quite different. I drive a 20 year old piece of crap with no AC. The apartments I live in have very thin walls in which I am constantly woken up with noise from my neighbors. I can not even sleep anymore without over drugging myself with sleeping pills. I guess I am at the breaking point to where I can not take it anymore. I do not make enough money to afford a decent apartment, and I am tired of renting rooms with people as everyone turned out to be a disaster in the end. I do not need to be rich, but whoever said money is the root of all evil was an idiot.
Perspective my friend. You are still richer than about 75% of the world. Comparing yourself to others is a game that even millionaires can't win. Money is not the root of all evil but merely a metaphor for the hopelessness of seeking happiness through external means. Money can turn into an addiction and with every item you buy with it a fleeting high that soon gives way to more feelings of need. There's no reason you can't change your circumstances. You either face your fears and get it done or wallow in your own self-created misery.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:45 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,255,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I often think of the people who survived the Holocaust. You in no way can even compare your life to what they experienced.
I forgot to respond to that. You are totally correct. Back in Phoenix, one of my nursing clients was a holocaust survivor. After what he told me (and doing more research on Nazi experiments), I was beyond horrified. As much as my life sucks, I would never try to compare it to what those poor souls had to go through.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Money is not the root of all evil but merely a metaphor for the hopelessness of seeking happiness through external means.
Beautifully said.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I forgot to respond to that. You are totally correct. Back in Phoenix, one of my nursing clients was a holocaust survivor. After what he told me (and doing more research on Nazi experiments), I was beyond horrified. As much as my life sucks, I would never try to compare it to what those poor souls had to go through.
Have you ever seen "A Beautiful Life?" An amazing, amazing movie about a Jewish father who keeps hope alive for his son, and family while in a concentration camp. Please...go get this movie ASAP. So incredibly powerful and beautiful about a man...who looks past his own horror and desperation to live for his family.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Perspective my friend. You are still richer than about 75% of the world. Comparing yourself to others is a game that even millionaires can't win. Money is not the root of all evil but merely a metaphor for the hopelessness of seeking happiness through external means. Money can turn into an addiction and with every item you buy with it a fleeting high that soon gives way to more feelings of need. There's no reason you can't change your circumstances. You either face your fears and get it done or wallow in your own self-created misery.
I know, I know, but I just want a quiet place to lay my head at night. I have never been into keeping up with the Jones's. I would be more than satisfied with making $30,000 a year in which I could meet my basic needs.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Have you ever seen
"A Beautiful Life?" An amazing, amazing movie about a Jewish father who keeps hope alive for his son, and family while in a concentration camp. Please...go get this movie ASAP. So incredibly powerful and beautiful about a man...who looks past his own horror and desperation to live for his family.
I will look into that movie.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:42 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
The world is not ending.
Ain't gonna happen, unless we shoot those sadistic, comedy-loving aliens from outer space!

Planet Earth, the human race, is their sadistic source of entertainment! Always has been, always will be! End the world, we end their laughs!

Last edited by tijlover; 02-04-2011 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-04-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Ain't gonna happen, unless we shoot those sadistic, comedy-loving aliens from outer space!

Planet Earth, the human race, is their sadistic source of entertainment! Always has been, always will be! End the world, we end their laughs!
Yeah, but what if they are insects who have no emotions?

Old 02-05-2011, 01:35 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,668,487 times
Sorry I haven't been on for a couple of days, I've been ignoring you know who. We'll see what happens.

I miss George Carlin. You can say we "shared" something...rather special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas