Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:06 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
Yes, I think we are. I believe the line of discussion that you attached yourself to was the contemporary practice of employers providing water and other drinks to their employees, free of charge. I hate to begrudge your stroll down memory lane, but your 15 year old Xerox observations bear little resemblance to contemporary Silicon Valley.

Really? Quit picking...c'mon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 12:32 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,449,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Really? Quit picking...c'mon...
Yes, really. Would I kid you?

Old 12-14-2009, 12:38 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,864,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
Back to the water in LV. When I have my sink out for remodeling, is the recommendation of the board here a simple filter system or RO system. Remember I'll only be using my condo 3-4 times a year if that makes a difference. I need something. The water we have in Portland is very good.
I'd go ahead and put in an R/O filter, not because it filters the water that much better than a dual-stage filter, but because there is not much difference in cost ($155 for dual stage GE filter vs $175 for three-stage RO GE filter at Home Depot, or $179 for four-stage RO filter at waterfiltersonline.com), and that you can list it as a feature when it comes time to sell your place.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:29 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,838,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I'd go ahead and put in an R/O filter, not because it filters the water that much better than a dual-stage filter, but because there is not much difference in cost ($155 for dual stage GE filter vs $175 for three-stage RO GE filter at Home Depot, or $179 for four-stage RO filter at waterfiltersonline.com), and that you can list it as a feature when it comes time to sell your place.
Thanks for getting back on topic and your reply. I assume it's just mount the unit and water in/water out connections?

Old 12-14-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
But...what about the safety? And how do you know?
There is an annual water quality report on the lvvwd.com web site, where it lists all of the measured contaminant levels, along with the EPA limits.

Water Quality Reports

It would be interesting to see each of the contaminant levels compared to the other cities in the study. I've read some studies that claim the EPA limits are way too high for some contaminants. It's a little concerning to see that for a few toxic metals (lead, cadmium) the contaminant level was as high as 25% of the EPA standard. If the EPA standards are as lax as some claim, those could be unhealthy levels.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:35 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,864,364 times
I installed a Reverse Osmosis under the kitchen sink and use it all the time. I also connected it to the refrigerator water line so that the ice and chilled water are clean too. Everyone who tries the unfiltered water and then filtered water notices a big difference in taste, and starts getting pretty disgusted with the LV city water.

LV water comes from a reservoir filled from thousands of miles of runoff. While the water is fairly clear for a lake, it still picks up a lot of nasty human pollution on its long journey to your home. Other cities have pristine protected water sources that don't come from runoff and aren't pumping reclaimed water back into their reservoirs.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
Thanks for getting back on topic and your reply. I assume it's just mount the unit and water in/water out connections?
There are two additional connections for an R/O unit. Because there is waste water generated when filtering, there is a drain tube that has to go to your drain. However, to prevent contamination, it goes through an air gap, which is usually incorporated into the back of the faucet itself. So instead of one piece of tubing going to the faucet, there are three: one drinking water supply, one waste waster connection from the filter, and one waste water connection to the drain. I once had the drain connection clog and all the waste water ran out the back of the faucet and onto my kitchen counter and kitchen floor.

The other additional connection goes to the water storage tank. The tank is pressurized with a rubber bladder inside, that's what pushes the water out the faucet when you open the faucet.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:58 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk View Post
I installed a Reverse Osmosis under the kitchen sink and use it all the time. I also connected it to the refrigerator water line so that the ice and chilled water are clean too. Everyone who tries the unfiltered water and then filtered water notices a big difference in taste, and starts getting pretty disgusted with the LV city water.

LV water comes from a reservoir filled from thousands of miles of runoff. While the water is fairly clear for a lake, it still picks up a lot of nasty human pollution on its long journey to your home. Other cities have pristine protected water sources that don't come from runoff and aren't pumping reclaimed water back into their reservoirs.
I am from Phoenix, and I could not drink the water there either. While bottled or reverse osmosis water may not be healthier, it sure does taste a lot better. I just had some water out of the tap here today for a taste test, and I am wondering how anyone could drink that garbage?

Old 12-14-2009, 02:02 PM

187 posts, read 481,755 times
When I was in Vegas, there were times during the day that the water had the stench of sewage. We also have that same problem here in Texas....don't feel bad.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereinutep View Post
When I was in Vegas, there were times during the day that the water had the stench of sewage. We also have that same problem here in Texas....don't feel bad.
Ok, I'll confess. I peed in Lake Mead last summer. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas