Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:14 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times

Advertisements

Well living in SD County(Chula Vista) I was always told from everywhere ,"Do not drink tap water"
And I follow that rule.I've only done it twice in my life.Once in Pittsburgh and once in Tampa,FLA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 11:32 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
Well living in SD County(Chula Vista) I was always told from everywhere ,"Do not drink tap water"
And I follow that rule.I've only done it twice in my life.Once in Pittsburgh and once in Tampa,FLA.
Was there any adverse effect?

Old 12-12-2009, 11:37 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The company typically promotes guards to patrol drivers. I have been told that because of my DUI, I can not be promoted.
C'mon LVD, hang around long enough and two things will happen: the company will experience a shortage and need to promote and you are there (okay, maybe a reach for insurance reasons but I think 3 years is when things like SR22s expire), and second, you are establishing a long record of loyal service for marginal rewards, which your next employer will take into account. Meanwhile, easy on the agua.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:46 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
C'mon LVD, hang around long enough and two things will happen: the company will experience a shortage and need to promote and you are there (okay, maybe a reach for insurance reasons but I think 3 years is when things like SR22s expire), and second, you are establishing a long record of loyal service for marginal rewards, which your next employer will take into account. Meanwhile, easy on the agua.
My SR22 expires in March, so I only have three months as far as that goes. However, it has gotten pretty bad where I work. They lost a lot of sites, and have cut patrol hours. I am happy with what I have, considering it could be a whole lot worse. Regarding the water, you never know, so I will pay the 25 cents at the Glacier machines from now on. I refuse to drink tap water, and I never thought of taking the water from my work as a crime.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:51 AM

1,347 posts, read 2,448,565 times
I take it in Las Vegas there are no employer supplied water coolers? You know, those 5 gallon bottled water dispensers? No company provided coffee? I've never worked for a company in my life that didn't provide both for their employees...and I have never been explicitly told that I could have either of them. I guess it was just assumed because every single one of the dozens of break rooms on our campus has a water cooler and coffee machine. Imagine my surprise to learn that hundreds, if not thousands, of my co-workers are stealing right under our employer's nose.

I can't wait until Monday so I can blow this enormous theft ring wide open!!

Last edited by tony soprano; 12-13-2009 at 04:23 AM..

Old 12-13-2009, 08:46 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
We have bad water?

Dang. I just eat mine with a knife and fork and get on with it.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:12 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
I take it in Las Vegas there are no employer supplied water coolers? You know, those 5 gallon bottled water dispensers? No company provided coffee? I've never worked for a company in my life that didn't provide both for their employees...and I have never been explicitly told that I could have either of them. I guess it was just assumed because every single one of the dozens of break rooms on our campus has a water cooler and coffee machine. Imagine my surprise to learn that hundreds, if not thousands, of my co-workers are stealing right under our employer's nose.

I can't wait until Monday so I can blow this enormous theft ring wide open!!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:27 AM

549 posts, read 1,380,356 times
My mom couldn't believe that I actually paid for a water cooler and water delivery at home. She and my dad saw it as a waste of money UNTIL she took a drink of the tap water by accident! LOL She nearly threw up her medication and complained on end about the water.

I've since terminated the water service (could never remember to set the bottles out on delivery days) and started buying from the grocery about 10gals at a time. It is much cheaper and lifting those 5gal jugs and placing them on the water cooler is a little tough. I use bottled water for drinking, making tea, and cooking.

I couldn't stand the water when I first arrived here from Nashville. Back home, you can fill a jug with tap water, put it in your frig and in a couple of hours have wonderful cold, good tasting water to drink. I like it best when left over night. You could also use the water to cook with straight out of the tap. They have good water there, so you can drink it out of the tap.

Even for bathing, the water here is harsh. I have to drink a lot more water and use a lot more cream/lotion than I EVER had to in Nashville. The minerals from Lake Mead contribute directly to this hard water and is very rough on skin.

As for my employer provided water, I just wish they'd get the fluoride added instead of the spring water. Fluoride is one of the chemicals that was just added about a year or so ago to the water in Vegas. Some folks consider Fluoride as cancerous, but it has been added to water in other places for a long time to promote healthy teeth. When we first came here my children's pediatrician provided a prescription for Fluoride for their teeth. I told him no need, I was aware of the situation with the water and I bought the nursery water with Fluoride.

As for taking the 5gal jugs from work for home use or even filling up a jug for home use, I have to agree with the rest of the crowd that this is stealing. On a crime scale of 1-10, I'd rank it about a 3. It is not that offensive, but seems like if I can afford .83 cents for a jug of water at Walmart others should be able to. Most of the time what an employer provides at work is for use at work.

I take my own coffee and creamer for my own selfish reasons--- every time I made a pot of coffee someone usually helped them to the coffee before me! Sometimes I had to make a second pot before I actually got a cup. Now I take instant and make my coffee one cup at a time.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:54 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,723,543 times
Jesus, your busting this poor guys chops over a gallon of water taken from the job site over the course of a couple days. You want to see abuse, go work for any major resort here in town. Watch when the GRA"S are ending their shift. They take home everything not nailed to the wall.
LV Drunk, if the DUI has been over five years. You should try for hotel security downtown. You wll get paid alittle more with benefits and free meals and the job will keep you busy.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:59 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
This is another of those grain of salt things. The water here is quite hard...but otherwise fine. It is the same water used in vast quantities in the So CA area after we dump our effluent in it.

Note that Henderson does not appear. Henderson uses exactly the same water from the same source.

We have a well and use well water which is also very hard and very good. We use a water softener and RO for cooking and drinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas